Yet Another Thread about Cycles Materials

it looks nice would like to redo it !

did a test with official SVN and also latest SVN

but i also tried it manualy and on the last step for dissolve it does not work !
not certain why !
anyone else has tried this algo manualy or with the script !

thanks

Hey @elbrujodelatribu

you seem to be a wizard with texture nodes so I am asking myself how you would set up a felt material like this one:

To me this looks like a combination of different noise nodes with color variations.
Any other thought?

Claas

Hi @cekuhnen. Thaks for your words about me, I appreciate them.

I have seen the node setup you has posted in the other thread, and I think it is good enough. My first idea would be using a distorted Wave Texture Node, something like this (I put comments for newbies):

This is the result:

(continue next post)

Tweaking the wave texture and changing the contrast node by a power math node you can get:

A more rough surface:

Or smoother:

I think we need a new type of proc texture to make some sort of filaments for this type of material
so that it can look like real Felt or any other mat like that !

happy cycles

hummm every time I try to use Ctrl-T on a subdivided plane I get a Crash… (following this tutorial is a bit hard without doing that) LOL!

@elbrujodelatribu

here is a current version of the gray material:

It is getting close simulating the color and bump mapping structure.

Here is the blend file: http://cl.ly/22341S0u412d

Wow, that’s an interesting material. Thanks for sharing here.

It is not finished at all, the fiber and grain look is still not there, but it is getting closer.
Glad you like it.

Here a fairly decent Carbon Fiber Proceedural Texture

Hopefully you can read the numbers on the screen capture…

Plus… if anyone has a better looking Carbon Fiber without using an image please recomend…

carbon fiber was already done as proc texture last year
was done with diagonal lines
yours is more rectangular but interesting
see major thread for cycles!

but it is looking nice

happy cycles

Hey guys,

firstly I want to say that the work you do in this thread regarding the materials is really great and I learn much from it. Many thanks.

I am a designer for exhibition stands. We build individual stands for our customers mostly made with wooden chipboard plates and paint them. Right there is my request for help. A wooden painted wall is never totally flat. The paint make some checkered noisy structure on the wood. I am looking for a way to realize it with blender. I tried by myself with procedural textures like noise and voronoi but my result was far beyond good. Maybe you guys here have an idea to realize it?

Some examples what I am looking for:

green matte wallpaint

example grey semiglossy wallpaint

white matte wall paint

Hope you can help to realize it.

Many thanks in advance
Matthias

@RickyBlender
Thanks I will check it out…

@elbrujodelatribu
Big thanks for the Link… Great stuff… CarPaints too! Fantastic!

not certain why it is not working
i tried to remove 2 of the map nodes on bottom and still get nothing
very strange may be size is way too small or way too big

can you upload a working sample file then i 'll try to see what is doing this ?

thanks

@matthiasmoog

try to add some cloud ( noise ) texture with some displacement
that should give some nice paint texture
may be open a new thread for this mat texture

happy cycles

@RickyBlender

thanks so far. I think I come closer to a good result and will open a new thread.

Hi @Matthias. Here there is a starting point:

And this is the node setup:

Next steps:

• I think the mix for flat-rough areas is good (purple frame). Probably you can improve it mixing (darken mode) with the same texture using a higher scale value.
  • The rough texture can be changed for another. There are several posibilities: use voronoi texture instead, or distorted musgrave, invert them just a bit, …

It might be necessary to increase the strength value in your scene.

And the same node setup but changing the rough texture:

@elbrujodelatribu

Hi and many many thanks for your reply. It looks great. :slight_smile:

I will tryout soon.

Thanks again.
Matthias

@elbrujodelatribu
I tryout the material with a quick wall setup, two longarm lights and my exhibition hall environment. It is exactly what I want for the matt wall material. Here the result:

This is the setup I used:

Just one last question.

Where is best to put a glossy shader to give the material more specularity and a semiglossy looking?
I tried to put it under the diffuse shader and combine with a mix shader but the result is not good.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Regards,
Matthias

For a wall I will use a layer weight->facing node to control the specularity in that mix node. I think walls are more reflective if the angle from you are looking is near to 0º or to the parallel vector to the wall.