You Know You Might Be A Classical Music Nerd If...

You listen to Mozart’s Requiem, close your eyes, and start conducting an invisible orchestra with your hands. Dang… I need help.:o

… all of the presets on your car stero are set to classical music stations.

Nerd!?

More like PoSEr:p

Now when you’ve memorized the Kirkpatrick numbers to all the sonatas of Scarlatti, or can tell the date of composition of Stravinsky piece simply from hearing the first two notes, only then have you entered the realm of N.E.R.D.

LOLOLOL

Quake with FEEEYAAAA:ba:

Yeah, I’m guilty of conducting invisible orchestras from time to time. Happens a lot with Holst’s The Planets and Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade.

ropsta: I might not be able to tell the date of a Stravinsky piece, but I could easily give you many other pieces of information based on only a couple of notes. My Stravinsky collection has grown to the point where it’s difficult for me to find albums I don’t already have. Also, I do know some of the K. numbers for Scarlatti, and I can differentiate very similar Philip Glass pieces. Am I a nerd yet, or just borderline?

We’re all nerds and borderline.

Oboe concertos by Scarlatti, you’ve got those already?

Other great stuff: Hummel, Albinoni, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Beethoven, Mussorgsky, Borodin, Merikanto, Sibelius, Taréga, Chopin, Brouwer, and so on and so forth.

/Nathan

I’m glad to know I’m not alone, and that there are other people more foregone than I am. :smiley: Although, I can usually instantly recognize a piece of LOTR music within a few notes.

@PlantPerson: Yeah, Holst’s The Planets is a good one!

i am completely a classical ‘nerd’ and im only 15! (though englsih middle-class so that may explain it)

-josh

Invisible orchestras? Oh yeah.

I’m not neccesarily just a classical music fan, but pretty much more of a orchestral fan. Just about anything with an orchestra is awsome, especially live…and if you’re in the front row.

Hmm, and yes, I can recognize most themes from LOTR or Star Wars within a few seconds.

…if you know exactly where the “out-of-place” trombone note in the middle of the last movement of Lincolnshire Posey is, and make sure to give them a good slash with your invisible baton.

I like earlier than classical :slight_smile: barouque and Medievel

Here’s the recordings I just got from Amazon:
-Stravinsky, Three Greek Ballets (Apollo, Agon, Orpheus)
-Shostakovich, film score for Hamlet
-Shostakovich, Violin Concertos 1 & 2
-Stravinsky, Firebird and Petrushka (always good to try new versions of pieces, there can never be an authoritative recording of any piece)
-Alex North’s score for 2001 - I love 2001, and I’m not above listening to the occasional soundtrack. This is the music that was written for the movie, but Kubrick dumped.

So, as you can see, it’s mostly Russian guys for me, but I’ve been experimenting a lot lately as well, and have developed a taste for Beethoven piano concertos, for one thing.

Philip Glass is also fascinating if you have the patience to give him a chance. He has a number of different motifs which he re-uses in all his compositions, which gives them a very unique flavor. It’s interesting to listen to the way he “re-weaves” his recurring themes into new pieces.

I like some classical. Mostly the stuff that isn’t really popular, a lot of the darker stuff. My favorite would be Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky. Any version, original piano, orchestral, ELP, it is hard to find bad renditions of that stuff (unless you count bad players like myself playing it :slight_smile: )

Those are a pain in the butt to play…

I can tell most Strauss (Richard, not Johann) pieces and a couple of Mahler one’s pretty straight up. It helps that a lot of modern classical/orchestral/wind music is just mangling and cross-breeding of them with a couple of others (Sibelius, Holst, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, some Beethoven and Praetorius (sp?) thrown in every now and then). For instance, if you really listen to John Williams music he rips off stuff from Strauss and Holst all the time (you can hear Holts’s Mars and a couple other of the planets all over the Star Wars score). But whatever, there hasn’t been much really original music in centuries, its all just composers ripping each other off for the most part and then changing a note or two and upping the tempo or modulating keys :p. There’s only so many combinations of notes you can have that sound good unless you start going into the more modern let me get drunk and slam my hand down on a midi keyboard hooked up to Sibelius and then try to get it published :p.

you only had classical music songs played at your wedding (everyone was gone by eleven, haha)
you can listen to any song on the radio and know which composer it is ninety-nine percent of the time
you play your unborn child mozart every day because you believe whole-heartedly in the mozart effect.
when you were eight years old, instead of wanting to be a princess or a fairy, you wanted to be the maestro of the london philharmonic

Hmmmm

And the verdict is…

Hmmmm

A test…

What is the time signature and key of the not so famous song not played by Wladyslaw Szpilman in the movie not about a pianist that is not what saves his life? (minus the not)

We’re all nerds, just some people are too wussy to admit it, and they’re the jocks. I’d rather be a nerd than some sissy hiding his personality for a stock character’s. Plus, my friends are better;). Sorry about my rant, but everyone has them once in a while, right?

:frowning:

Regarding John Williams’ “borrowing,” I just saw Star Wars (the first one. The first/fourth one. That one. A New Hope. Star Wars. Whatever.) for the first time, and I was struck by one particular musical similarity. When the two droids™ first arrive on Tatooine™ there’s a musical theme which sounds very, very, similar to part of the Rite of Spring.

oh, for your music nerds: http://www.last.fm/group/Blender+3D Don’t forget to join :slight_smile:

/Nathan

If you mean a part of Stravinsky’s “Le sacre du printemps” (I guess that’s what you mean, I’m not sure about the english name) - then I finally found someone who had exactly the same thoughts when he saw Star Wars.
I’m not alone, then.

Lol
The best answer to my question was no answer at all, anyway. It was a trick question. It had to do with the tiring argument of what actually constitutes a song in modern English/classical music.
Silly yes, but if you were to call a classical piece a song, when it has no vocals, at many classical forums, you’d start a raging war; much as if you were to ask what constitutes a superior GUI here:D.

If you mean a part of Stravinsky’s “Le sacre du printemps” (I guess that’s what you mean, I’m not sure about the english name) - then I finally found someone who had exactly the same thoughts when he saw Star Wars.
I’m not alone, then.

You is NeRd. Go to your room.