2.5 will get old window splitting method too???

I really don’t think that adding old code would be impossible task. To have both options would be really great!

I much prefer the old style too.

okay if you havent figure this out but when you open a file you worked on in 2.49 -and older the panels load as the 2.49 and older panels did but in the 2.50 alpha so if you start a brand new project well guess your going to have to arrange those windows and panels all to some similar set up as to the old version, I ant moving to the new one -I’m liking 2.49 and 2.50 isn’t getting me anywhere but backwards.

Not sure what’s worse, the way you write or your reasoning not to use 2.5

Please don’t just add the old method so that we end up with 2 ways for the same task. I thought the purpose of 2.5 was also to make the interface simpler? I am one of the guys who prefer the old method, but if the price for getting it back is just adding redundancy, then I’m against it!

William so far has done an excellent job regarding UI design, I’m sure he is going to find a way to get the best of both worlds in one solution. If not - well I think I can live with the new method, right now we are complaining on a high level. :wink: As others have said, it is not a deal breaker.

Just built ad can confirm that it doesn’t work in ubuntu 9.10 any more either…

Hi

Another +1 for the old system, have to be honest and say I hate the new method.

I find it fiddly to click in the right place, and dont find it intuitive either as I often end up splitting a window when I am trying to join 2 windows. I liked the old system, so it would be great if we at least had an option of something similar to the old method.

Hope the developers keep an eye on this thread, it looks like there are quite a few people who would like the 2.5 method revisted and revised.

Regards Geoff

i also prefer the old method…

I like the NEW method.

But I DON’T like the new “menu hiding + thing” that bugs the h*** out of me on a touch screen as I keep accidentally hitting it - and it’s TOO SMALL to re-hit to un-hide.

If you mean the header bar “drag to minimise” thing I do that all the time by accident using a tablet ( never use a mouse if I can help it…)

VERY annoying… and even worse on the info spacetype that is ONLY a header… surely it shouldn’t be possible on that space type!

I also like the old version. It’s much easier to just split. And you don’t have to size up the window. It just feels so much more natural to just right click and split the window. Instead of having to pull the little tab down or to the left. Also sometimes you miss it and you move your 3d cursor which is a pain since it happens so often. Also, what is the point of the little dot in the right corner. If you accidentaly click it the tools bar or whatever you should call it dissapears. Also easily clicked by accident. And I don’t get what is the point with making it dissapear. Old version of splitting windows and that annoying right down corner dot DESTROYED!:eyebrowlift:

I think so, yeah…it’s the “disappearing” menues that bugs me like mad, both on my wacom pad and the touch-screen, it’s particularly bad on the touch screen as one uses the finger to “hit” the various areas, and the (+) dot - is simply too small.

Another detail…

The slider values (you know, when you grab a number and slide up/down to change the number)…are too narrow…it also makes it completely impossible to “hit” with wacom or the touch panel, instead it switches to manual-input-mode every time I “hit” it to change it. :spin:

Use the pen for your tablet instead. That is what it’s for. :wink: But still I agree that is really annoying that it dissapears like that.

You can disable region resizing by disabling the first entry in the Screen -> Screen Editing keymap (screen.actionzone with modifier=0 as properties). This will disable all region resizing though (not area resize, that is handled separately) and probably some other things, so be careful.

Martin

That’s almost perfect!

It’d be perfect if the headers could be cased separately from (say) the toolbox/numeric area…

set to RMB means less likely to accidentally alter, but less intuitive for those items…

Ya know, I have a lot of trouble with the new system as well. I thought the old screen splitting system was easier to work with, and I liked it much more than the new system, and I have THREE SUGGESTIONS about what could possibly be done to improve screen splitting.

Maybe my suggestions below are not the best, but I - do - think or at least - I - would prefer a new window splitting system which works a lot like the old or better yet - one which uses the strengths from both the new and old. I am just throwin’ some ideas out because I - know - that there are ways to improve the new system.

I am not complaining about the new interface, rather I think that all programs should strive for improvement in all ways. And since Blender is Open Source, and developed - freely - by the general public - it seems that proposals, suggestions, and the like should always be welcome by the developers. I mean, any knowledgeable individual can actually become a Blender developer. I am greatful for all the great work that the devs have done!!! I am studying programming, and 3D modeling, and I hope to soon be an active Blender developer too. I also think that complaining is counter-productive.

I am not a professional, but I am pretty sure that reducing code redundancy is a - major - part of computer
programming, and it does seem redundant to have both ways of splitting windows… At least as seperate
idententities. So in this respect I agree with you, at least in part, shortlord.

This is why I think that both ways should be combined into one way.

I agree, at least in part, to LiquidApe. The new interface should probably use a system which takes the best of both worlds, and by integrating the code properly, this avoids code and ui concept redundacy (which shortlord pointed
out).

===================================================================================

I suppose the devs had good reasons for designing the new system the way they did. On the other hand, I suppose, if
enough Blender users like the old system, that the new system should be somehow integrated with the old system. The
new system has a tab, which is visual, and more professional looking. Whereas, the old system lacked a tab (not that
this was the only difference).

In order to keep a professional and sharp look (which is one of the things 2.5 interface was going for) it makes
since, I geuss, to keep a tab, but it also makes since to allow the user to split a window from any point at a window
edge (which is how the old system worked).

=================================================================================
MY FIRST SUGGESTION:

• Perhaps the corner tab in 2.5 should be made to appear at - any point - of any window’s edge in which the cursor is very near.
    _____The tab would follow all of the cursor’s XY movements - rather than being stuck at the top right edge all the time

• When the cursor is close to a window’s edge the tab appears, and when the cursor is so far away it disappears.
    _____Having a tab constantly visable and moving around might be distracting to some.
    _____The distance from the mouse pointer at which the screen splitting tab appears and disappears should be modifiable in User Preferences.

• The tab should obviously remain still while the cursor is hovering over it.

• The tab should allow vertical and horizontal screen splitting by vertical and horizontal mouse gestures.
    _____This is how 2.5 currently works and is one improvement over previous versions)

• The tab should also provide some sort of necessary menu by clicking (right, left, whatever).
    _____Having a menu would give further significance to having a tab at all.

• Perhaps the tab should be partially transparent (maybe, maybe not).
    _____I am just throwing this idea out there.
    _____I make this suggestion because I know 2.5 is supposed to look sharp, and having a partially transparent tab may very well look nice.
    _____The transparency should probably be modifiable in User Preferences.
    This first suggestion, I geuss, would allow 2.5 and previous versions to integrate, and avoid redundancy.
    I assume that redundancy may be a big reason why the old and new will not sit along side each other.Unfortunately, I am not a professional so I don’t really know.
    ============================================================================
    MY SECOND SUGGESTION:

Forget redundancy - just reimpliment the old system with all the functionality of the new - like being able to split windows just by clicking and dragging. Instead of having the tab follow the mouse pointer, just have the mouse pointer change into an icon that represents splitting ( The old system had two bidirectional arrows as an cursor icon)

The new tab could still be used for creating duplicate windows by shift + dragging.

===========================================================================
MY THIRD SUGGESTION:

If completely redoing the screen splitting system is out of the question, then perhaps the devs would at least be willing to add a setting to the tab which would allow it to be resized, and maybe change it’s color. The hotspot probably could be increased too.

The size of the tab is one of the things that makes it difficult to work with.

=================================================================

Good day to everyone - and thank you very much devs for all your hard and thoughtful work!!!
My two cents…

Let’s make a competition who split & join windows faster. 2.4x’s or 2.5x’s :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, move on and learn 2.5. This is just an observation so please don’t roast me.:slight_smile: I can’t count how many times in the last number of years I read posts where Blender Veterans told new users to quit whining about Blenders odd UI and just learn the thing. Well I was one of those whiners, yes I was, :slight_smile: but I decided to take their advice and just dig in and learn Blenders Old UI even though the UI bugged me and was anything but standard. How ironic that some of those same people are now complaining about the new UI.

No disrespect to any of you Blender Vets, but please take your own advice and just learn 2.5 instead of longing for the old days. You’ll like it Really! :slight_smile:

pg

I really, really, really hate the new way to split screens. Honestly, it’s so confusing, hard to work with at first. I keep checking videos again on how to do it because I forget (I don’t use 2.5 often).

And when I remember, I end up splitting views by accident some times.

A right click was so straight to the point, no chase, what do you want to do? split or join?, BAM it does it.

I remember seeing a video of someone praising the new method, saying that it was better for new users than the old one, while he couldn’t really join, he kept splitting views.

I don’t mind the new method being there, but I want the old one back. It wasn’t broken, why fix it?.

Paint Guy. I’ve learned 2.5 quite well. The previous way was both more efficient and had a better interface paradigm.