A quicker loop cut tool, is there anyway as an addon or something?

Hi,

I am a bit frustrated with the loop cut tool for fast splitting of a face to have edgeloops.

Coming from Lightwave and used to simply hit “l” for connect, and it will split any face(or edge with a point in center)
immediately along it´s center, works for one single poly selections as well as selected loops of polys, as well as multiselected loops of polys, and hitting “l” again inserts two new loops around the first one.

So it should be just a loop select…and one single hit of a key and the loop should be done, and also preferably, additionally, not having to repeat picking polys again but continue to add new loops in one go.

So is there any simpler loop cut out there, without the need to use the mouse to set it´s cut, and in one go…just split the selection with an edge cut?

If you mean creating edge loops only for certain area when you can select edge rings and use blender internal function in main menu Edges > Subdivide.
More pleasure way is to use addon Forgotten Tools, which does the same but in the end only select newly created edges, and not the edges around it.

If you need to create a whole loop: when i can recommend KeKit addon with “Direct Loop Cut” function. It also have a cool features of creating loops/add vertex simply by mouseover without interfere with current selected tools.

Thanks,

No internal edges subdived will not work, this has to work on polyloops, if you run that on a polyselection it ads not just an edgeloop cut along the polyloop selection, but also a cross division.

as fot the kekit, seams to be cutting edges, it needs to be able to cut poly looop selections, maybe it does, have to check.

Oh, got you. Im never saw any addons or scripts which can do such things, unfortunately.

Althrougth i bet its possible by some scripting to “extract” ring edges selection from polyloop, run default connect operation, switch selection back and so on.

God…I hate installing blender plugins, can´t find it once installed.

One of the small things an old polymodeler( lightwave) can do well, it´s a tremendous workflow ease, like if I bridge something, I could directly hit “l” as for connect, which in essential adds segment loop cut edges on the whole polybridge result, and repeating it as to how many divisions I need, or just pick a polyloop and slice it to create an edgeloop, and the edges are always selected as well, so an immediate point normal move or scaling after that will occour on the edge loop, making a bulge.

It also works similar to the face tool in blender, picking points to points, splitting a polyface.

But now…I need to get that plugin going anyway, despite installing it from the github zip, it isn´t seen on the addons tab.

Tested on blender3.4 alpha, maybe not compatible?

3.4… well, probably its compatibility issue. Im using 3.1.2 because some addons simply doesnt work in newest versions.

Maybe, I want this to work with at least 3.4, and I also are working more with 4.1 as well…so.

What is the plugin called in the preferences tab, so I am not searching wrong?

First one: forgotten tools
Second one: KeKit

If you unable to find them by searching in addon tab - thats probably because they wasnt properly installed, or simply cannot be installed (even if installation run smoothly) because of incompatibility with blender version.
You can check compatibility here: https://ke-code.xyz/scripts/kekit.html

Forgotten tools are like really forgotten and proibably wouldnt work in blender 3.4 or higher, but i, not sure.

What?
Standard version no support?
Pro Version 3.21 2024-03-05 ISO8601 - Supported: Blender 3.6 LTS, 4.0
Standard Version 3.19 2024-02-28 ISO8601 - No Support.

Dropping this one, if the free version isn´t working…haha, then goodbye.

Fastloop is my goto.
Have a close look, it has many nice options.

Initial release etc… https://github.com/Jrome90/Fast-Loop
Updated version, many times better and working on blender 4.1 already.

1 Like

Well…I just found out that it was so simple as going to the face tab and use cut faces, this is what I do not like with blender tools not structured, it should be in places you look for them either in one menu only, but …it isn´t existant in the toolbar menu, it´s not in the right menu but in the main tab for the mesh and in face menu…

So that one is pretty much very similar to lightwaves “l” for connect.
So I remapped it to “l” for blender as well, since I will be using it a lot, have to remap select linked though.

I prefer to select a poly loop and make a split cut with tools like this over having to go to the toolbar and choose loop cut and hover over and get guides to determine where to cut, or use ctrl-r.

It was that simple, I suspect you guys expected something else.

Thanks for the other tips, may look at that later though.

Bummer, Fastloop doesn´t work in 3.6…which I work mostly in right now, I do have 4.1, but I want a more stable version, and I have most of my best settings for 3.6 and addons in there.

Bummer 2
Fastloop returns errors with blender4.1 alpha as well…sigh.

So this was a bit frustrating, none of the addons all you guys refered to, is working with 3.6 or 4.1

I posted two links. The first works with 3.6 !
I have no problems at all with it in 4.1.

Maybe do a clean install of it.
Or run it in factory reset. You will see it works fine in 3.6 the old version and in 4.1 the new version.
When reading here it sounds like one of your addons or the setup makes trouble.

So just install a second version of 3.6 and 4.1 vanilla/factory settings and try the fastloop versions, and you’ll see they both work fine.

Could also be your startup file has some issues. We all had this many times.

Anyways, that’s all I could do for you. It works fine on my end even with macOS silicon.

By the way, if you find another solution, please share ! :slight_smile:

Thanks, but I am not gonna add a new blender versions for just getting the addon to work, I already have too many blender versions eating up harddrive space.

Solution is as I just posted, it is marked above, the simple face cut.

You can not use loop cut and slide or ctrl-r loop cut on this(weird by the way that those two aren´t the same and I constantly get confused to why mouse wheel scroll isn´t adding more cuts, since only ctrl-r does that)

Loop cut will only perform a straight cut, while the face cut indeed works on a selected poly path to divide it as well, loop cut can not do that, so that is the same as in lightwave, apart from that I can hit “l” over and over and it ads new loops within that region, the face cut in blender can not do that directly with a new activation, it does however have the toolsettings to set a value of cuts, and it performs those cuts similar to the Lightwave connect tool, so a bit different, it gives me an option to go back and forth to increase or decrease cuts, I can not do that in lightwave unless redoing, at the same time I can divide a bit faster in there.

But anyway, most of this I think now is covered, apart from what those other tools can do, maybe I check with another blender version, but I think it´s odd that none of them could give a clean install, if it was only one that protested…but both of them, then I kind of give up.

There are plenty of other addons that works so.

selected path loop and cut, on area that isn´t just a plain straight loop…

1 Like

No support for previous versions than 3.6/4.0

It’s simple, click A to select all the mesh in edit mode make sure you’re in Edge Mode right-click, and select subdivide, this will divide the whole faces into equal halfs, and repeat for more subdivisions

No…I am afraid you are very wrong, and I also mentioned that this splits into cross segments, the “right” way is what I figured out myself and marked as a solution, see previous post that I marked as solution.

But…you use the face cut, not subdivide, it´s the proper tool, it also allows for loop selected paths to be cut and create a new edgelop, subdivide cause a cross division,not an aedgeloop only cut.

it´s all described above with two images.

You do not need any script, it is built in blender, it´s simply the face cut as I described with images after your,post but that post was after you posted.