Aquarium

Hello, I wanted to share my latest personal project. Made with Blender and rendered with E-Cycles, 3000 samples.

More renders:
Behance
Artstation
Instagram

88 Likes

@Scoped :slight_smile: great project so far as always. I like your all original concepts :wink:
Good luck with your projects!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I’ve made a little progression gif for those who might be interested in how my process looked like.

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

3k samples?? Are you unfamiliar with Intel Open Image Denoise?

Amazing work btw! I like the couch material.

1 Like

@bartv Thank you so much!

@HISEROD Thanks mate! To be honest 3K wasn’t really enough to me, you know. Denoiser is unfortunately incapable of preserving all the small details I put there (like the texture of the wall) so I took more time and mixed denoised image with the raw output to get everything I wanted to see. It was great for previews though because I was able to get those looking good enough with just 25 samples.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a few tricks to get the details to come through, if they’re any help to you.

The first thing I’ll try if detail is being lost in the denoise is render at 200% res with 1/4 samples.

If that doesn’t do it, I will render with a custom AOV of the texture that has loads of extra contrast (e.g. a black and white weave AOV for carbon fiber) and I’ll plug that into the albedo of the denoise node.

1 Like

I’ve been rendering those previews I mentioned in 170% the original resolution, but ultimately I don’t think it’s going to preserve the finest details regardless of how high is your sample count because the denoiser will simply treat them as noise and smooth everything out.

Never heard of the other method though, would you care to show some results? It seems interesting but a little complicated at first glance so I feel like I might stick to my mixing-2-renders-together-till-they-look-good method.

I really like it, it’s an interesting concept.

1 Like

Wow this is excellent! The composition, the design, the colors all really came together excellently! The couches especially have a beautiful velvet texture that really comes across well.

1 Like

I’m so happy that you found it helpful; thanks so much! It’s a fascinating idea, and I really like it.

1 Like

@mdickun Thank you!

@SandraDau Thank you, I’ve been trying to get the velvet look just right so I’m super happy you like it too.

@bijutoha Thanks mate!

1 Like

Lovely picture. I’d love to see close-ups of the actual aquarium and its contents though, rather than of the coffee table and such. I think the aquarium is the star of the scene.

1 Like

Thank you! To be honest, I’ve tried some close-ups but the thing is, it doesn’t look that good up close. Though I feel like I should try a bit harder now that you pointed it out, we’ll see where that gets me :wink:

1 Like

So here’s an example of the carbon fiber AOV.

The first image has nothing plugged into the denoise node albedo, and the second has the carbon fiber weave AOV plugged in (you can see what the AOV looks like on the right side). In some areas, the carbon fiber is really smudgy in the first image, but the high contrast AOV helps preserve the 2x2 weave pattern significantly.

1 Like

It’s pretty similar to E-Cycles’ denoiser. Thought it still doesn’t preserve everything. And I’m one of those people who wants to see bumps on the painted wall so I have to use more time consuming methods for that.

1 Like

I’m 100% with ya on all the crisp, fine details, but I think you can save a lot of time by bumping the res, using AOV’s, and denoising instead of upping the samples. In my experience, I can get things to render much faster by using the two techniques I mentioned (with better quality in the end) than by throwing more samples at the scene. So it’s really a win win :smiley:

Also, I used a similar denoiser addon to the one that you mentioned, but the problem with just denoising all the passes separately is that it can start to add to the compositing time significantly especially at high resolutions.

Anyway, you do what works for you. Just my two cents. :wink:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

@bartv Thank you, Bart! Have a good one too!

@HISEROD Thanks for sharing your method, I’ve never heard of it so it may come in handy someday. Also, what’s been more concerning to me when it comes to details is the smoothing of all the normal map details because that’s what mainly gets massacred by the AI algorithm especially at lower resolutions so I often bump it up as well to preserve as much as possible. Sometimes it’s just not enough so that’s when I mix it with noisy output.

2 Likes