arcade vehicle driving game

Like I forewarned, there is no update (Boo!). But there are screenshots of the new car (woo!).

The interior of the car so far. Whilst I may not be able to replicate ‘Need for Speed’ graphics, I can try.

The current progress of the car so far. I’ve still got to create some more panels, and perhaps modify the front of the car to be more sloped.

View of the underside of the car. Much better than textured-on details.

The car is currently just over 2000 polygons. At the rate I’m going, I might be able to make the car for about 3k polys. Hopefully the car will be functional and incorporated into the game next week. No promises though.

JESUSFRK14: I love smashing things too. Far better than merely knocking something aside. But it takes considerably longer to set up (the results are worth it, though).:eyebrowlift:
realpro12: I like trashing cars too, but as I said, it takes a while to set up. In fact, the car is the hardest thing to set up, because car damage is dynamic and each crash is different. Smashing a barrel is relatively simple; - it just goes boom. Although I could make a dynamically damagable barrel, it would take too long and no one would really notice. But I’m glad everyone appreciated the effort I put into the barrel.
Donate money?! Who to, Blender, or me?:eyebrowlift2: If you’re planning to donate to Blender, excuse my outburst, because it’s for a good cause:yes:. If you’re planning to donate to me, don’t bother. I don’t need money, I’ll keep producing roughly the same output week after week, money or not (but if you work for a game software company, I would consider a job offer). But I am touched by the thought that my project is worthy of donation, irregardless if you were planning to donate or not.

On a lighter note, the holidays are coming up for me. This has positive and negative impacts on my project:

Positive:

• More time to spend on Blender, so increased probability of higher outputs for the project.
    Negative:

• I can only respond on Saturdays 3:00-4:30pm Brisbane time.

• Low-Moderate probability I’ll get hooked on a video game, thus spending less time on Blender.

nice, I only know a few things about Blender GE, but your work is just awsome. I think that this could be sold in stores :P.

Just don’t give up bro.
Donation was going to you btw.

lookin wicked!

No update, I’m afraid. Things didn’t go quite to plan during the week… my sister had a lot of assignments, so I couldn’t get much time on the computer.
This is my work so far. Grand total of 2238 polygons so far.

The back of the car is complete…almost. Unfortunately, the back of the car is one piece rather than individual panels (except the bumper).

After constructing the car, I’ve found the shape is too warped; - the front in particular. I’ll have to reconstruct it the panels on the front end. Fortunately this is one of the easier segments to modify.
I’ll do everything I can to make sure the car is integrated by next week, irregardless if the car is finished or not (I’ll complete it as I go).
And another thing. The holidays have officially started for me, so I should be able to put in several productive hours on the computer uninterrupted.

Looking good. And yeah the front is way to long :wink: good thing it’s easy to fix

Finally! An update coming your way:

Front end of the car modified considerably. A lot better looking if you ask me… but I’m biased. I forget how many polygons, but it’s definitely less than 3k.

Rear end of the car, almost complete.

The car is essentially complete, only small details left, such as a spoiler, antenna, side mirrors and such. And a decent colour scheme; - I’m thinking a silver and black combination.
Another important thing, the axles, brakes, and suspension are attached, but it’s pretty buggy. For example, the axles swivel when the car flips, the shock absorbers are static and the brake pads spin with the wheels.
If anyone knows how to constraint the brake pads so they don’t spin with the wheels, that would be helpful. (Or any information about constraints for that matter).
The game is essentially back to life now; - expect regular updates and changes to the map (concentration on buildings this week).

Early update this week: http://www.mediafire.com/?ntzyytyfwm2
My computer’s getting upgraded, so I’ve got to post when I can.:slight_smile:

Construction site, work in progress (lol).

Final changes made to the car. Hopefully it looks better than the last one, and meets your personal quality standards…

The construction site took a while to build because I have to align the building and ramps within it to make sure it links up with other ramps. It’s not quite like Burnout where the buildings perfectly synch up, but I want buildings’ roofs to be linked so you can jump from building to building.

Cars much better! It is to high tho, more like a SUV right now =D

Best driving game to my eyes?

Well not one with cars in it

Read my sig if confused

CalebR: Thanks! The car seems the right height to me, but I will adjust it.
Fagbiabe73: I don’t get it. What’s more, your signiture isn’t appearing, so that doesn’t help. Please restate what you’re trying to say. Is it good, bad, or a combination of both?

Everyone: There might not be an update this week. My computer’s in the computer shop, getting it’s upgrade, and might not be back in time to post.

Looking really good! You’ve really been working on this over the years, lol and congrats on your 5 * rating, I think it’s earned it.

The game runs really well, pretty solid 60 FPS on my computer the whole way through. One thing I noticed though… your car seems to have multiple reversing gears… I’m not knowledgable in the way of cars but I’m pretty sure most only have 1 gear for reverse. I only think that because your speed reading on the side shows a quick drop and the engine noise changes which I think is meant to indicate a gear change… could be wrong though.

Keep it up :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing it progress more and more. I think I need to stop being such a couch potato in Blender and do something useful these holidays before Uni starts…

Dakka Dakka: Thanks, I’m glad the game is still running at full speed; I was worried it would slow down as it got larger. And the reverse gear thing? Yes, it’s a glitch that I’ve known about for a while now, but I don’t know how to fix it (I need to figure out the car’s orientation).

Everyone: Finally an update. Unfortunately, this is a delayed update from the file I would have posted two weeks ago.

Construction site upgraded

More jumps, meaning the drain now connects to the construction site (at the right speed)

More terrain and buildings around water treatment plant.

Convention centre and parking lot

More terrain here and there, so take a look around to find the changed places.

Hope you enjoy the changes. Feel free to post any concerns.

PS. Dakka Dakka: There is a car with 2 reverse gears and 7 forward gears, but I can’t remember what it’s called.

Hey looks really good! I’m really glad to see your devoted to this game, this is probably one of the only threads that keeps getting updated. Kudos :wink:

That construction site is a bit of a resource hog. Nice game though.

One word: Particles! What would make this game even more awesome would be to add some nice grass or dirt spraying up behind the tires while driving off road. Anyways, awesome work! I love the new car. Oh yeah, maybe eventually you might want to set up your own camera system instead of using the camera actuator. I think the camera needs to follow the car more closely (when you make sharp turns you cant see whats ahead of you.

1, 2, and 3 ftw :slight_smile:

And I think you could make the steering wheel better.

Well, you can also find the 2.49 code documentation here…

New update, right on time this time: http://www.mediafire.com/?nihenxnyzze
Button changes: Left Shift - Boost, Left Ctrl - Handbrake

This update has minimal visual changes, but has a few experimental changes, there is now a test event! Not that there are any prizes for completing it, and there’s a few glitches, but try it anyway.

Look for this marker near the convention centre.
Additionally, I’ve figured out how to make the reverse gear work properly.
JESUSFRK14: Glad you like it (also glad you post replies regularly). And yes, I suppose the steering wheel could look better, but I want to leave the car alone for now (I’ll keep your idea in mind though). By the way, what does 1,2 and 3 ftw mean?

janek: Thanks. Ever since my computer was upgraded, an old game of mine which used to run at 8fps, now runs at 60. So I can’t really tell what makes the game lag or not. (Perhaps it’s the alpha of the plastic fencing which is making your computer lag). Question: What is your normal framerate, and how much does it drop near the construction site?

Dawisch: Particles would be a great addition to my game, but I have two problems: I don’t have the right particle textures, and I haven’t figured out a way for the tyres to recognise what material it’s driving on (I’ve tried dynamic materials, but the terrain is a static object).
I’ll try what I can though (boost flames and water spray when driving over puddles for example.

Yes, it’s probably alpha issue. I think you should use a LOD script or reduce alpha. As the world gets bigger You need to do it anyway.

EDIT: Never mind, my bad. As interesting as it is, it runs perfectly smooth now. Must have been a glitch in the pc or blender.:confused: