arcade vehicle driving game

1,2 and 3 ftw mean?

I was talking to The Dawisch about chaning views :wink:

Found some bugs:

.1 on the sprint-race map, the map movement doesn’t stay on the road for the first half but cuts though the mountuans and buildings, so I have no idea where to go! :open_mouth:

My younger brothers love the new changes with one exception:

Our Mac doesn’t distinguish between left shift/control and right shift/control. So now it’s impossible to flip the car over when you crash!

And they keep asking me to suggest that you make it possible to knock down the power lines. :eyebrowlift:

janek: Is a LOD script a piece of code that makes objects disappear at a distance? Would you know how to set one up, or point me to a demo? I’m not very good at Python.
JESUSFRK14: 1, 2, 3 thing makes sense now (they correspond to the buttons you press when you change the camera. Furthermore ‘4’ will follow the AI car in my next upload).
Sorry about the car route. I wanted a wider scope for the camera, but the fog makes things disappear at a distance (and orthographic view makes the start/finish markers huge). I will change the car route in the next update.

PhantomMoose: Oops. I’ll change the flip controls in the next update. The reason why I don’t make the powerlines fall over is because:

• Powerpoles are sturdy and embedded in the ground. A car is likely to total itself when attempting to knock a pole down.
  • The powerpoles are all linked. It would be a pain to code an individual pole to fall over.
  • The cables are all connected. This means I would have to code the cables to snap and sag, depending on which pole was hit (softbodies would make my job easier, but drastically increase the polycount of the cables).
    It’s not a bad idea, but a bit complex to implement (and add just a dash of laziness on my part).

Unfortunally neither am I, but I did find something on this forum that does not look very difficult to implement. It’s not much, but it’s a start.:slight_smile:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=396

Not a whole heap has changed. I took up most of your suggestions:

• The camera now follows the road in the pre-event map.

• The Flip button has been changed to ‘F’ (I’ve been experimenting with the AI car, so hopefully I’ll be able to set up an auto-flipper soon).

• The steering wheel has been improved.
    Furthermore, I’ve completed the following:

• Added an AI car to race. ‘AI’ is somewhat exaggerating, as it doesn’t know how to go around an object, but I’m working on it. To address CyborgDragon’s concerns about unbeatable AI, I limited the top speed of the rival car. It should still be a stiff challenge however.

• Modified the code for the event icon, so you can’t start an event during the current one.

• Once you cross the finishline, a piece of text saying ‘1st’ or 2nd’ pops up.
    I need help to record your current position in the race (to tell if you’re winning or losing). It’s tricky, because in my game, the map is still free-roam while you’re racing (you choose your own path to the finish).
    I’m going back to 3D modelling this week, as programming and experimenting has worn me out (so expect some new buildings).

Steering is MUCH better! But when I hold down shift motion blur gets stuck on and it’s rlly hard to steer…

OH boy this forum is much more fun than any other…animation stuff is just an usual thing but game developing looks fancier and kooler!!
awesome cant w8 till i get to this stage :wink:
Gratz!
Yours,

Another burning-tyre update coming your way:
Got a decent amount done this week:

A formerly boring patch of land is being developed.

Two new houses for your viewing pleasure (or crashing displeasure).

A few more physics objects (mostly fences).

I also modified the race-marker so it displays the position you scored on the last attempt on the race (unfortunately, it doesn’t display your personal best).

ShortkeyFmeout2: Games beat animations any day; because you can interact and change what’s happening in a game! Keys to success: good planning, persistence, ability to find alternatives, and actually working on your project rather than ‘testing’ it all day.

JESUSFRK14: I suspected that motion blur was jammed on, but it’s subtle. Steering while boosting is supposed to be hard, to discourage constant boosting (until I make a boost tank and a engine temperature gauge).

janek: I looked at the LOD script. The principle seemed simple - objects within a certain distance of a radar change their level of detail. However, the code seemed overly complex for what it was, and it was also working backwards (ie. the camera was checking how far the objects were from itself, rather than the objects searching for how far the camera was). As a result, I didn’t and couldn’t integrate the code into my game. I will search for an alternative however.

Everyone: Could anybody tell me how I could use an object’s variables in a different object’s code? An example of what I mean:

[collision via logicbricks]
if object2.speed==40
then
[perform action via logicbricks]

Basically, I want to use object 1’s variable (speed) without linking the objects with logicbricks, nor copying the object 1’s variable to object 2, which would put unnecessary lag in the game. Essentially I want object 1’s variable to be a global variable.
(I need this code to make the physics objects fall apart only when the car is at a certain speed).

Yay new update :smiley:

downloading

Another update (2 weeks late)

The suburban block is being developed with plenty of new physics objects.

An extension of road in a section that hasn’t been modified in ages!

Drainway modified again, with a observation walkway, and more junk.

janek: Managed to test LOD code in game. Unfortunately it raises the base physics % from 2% to 7% with the script and up to 9% when an object is within range of the radar. The physics % goes up consequtively with each new object that is linked to the code. I made an alternate LOD system LOD_basic.blend (163 KB). But that raises the physics % too (but not as much). So I decided to can LOD until I can find a more efficient system.

Everyone: Don’t forget: if object2.[variable] = [num] then object1 [action]
Tell me how to do this in Python. (If you don’t get it, look at my previous post).

Downloading and hoping it will work on my pc hehe ^^
but by the pictures i can see and have an idea of how it is…
anyways if i can play it i might as well make an extra comment :wink:
Kind regards,

Um, sorry everyone. I posted my old file from two weeks ago. But this is the real update:
I’ve checked it, and it should be the right file.
Not that I’ve been sitting on my laurels between then and now. There’s more changes:

Water drain updated again, with walkways, pipes and ladders.

More details in the suburban park. Note that the water doesn’t move, because I don’t have any animated water textures.

All houses constructed for this block.
I’m not entirely sure that the framerate is as high as it should be. I got a bit flower-happy and planted a lot of alpha foliage. It works fine on my computer, but may jam slower machines.
ShortkeyFmeout2: I hope it works… feedback is always helpful.

Hello calebR, it’s me calebR.
I know it’s me. Where’s everyone else?
Replies, feedback, or even critism (not flaming) would be good.
New update out: http://www.mediafire.com/?yzuzjuzzyjz

New building! (Sort of) It’s a sort of railway storage/maintenance shed from the past (19th Century-ish).

A view of the inside of the building.

Progress work: Polonominomolo council has decided that the old railway will be removed, in favour of new houses. What you see is the current progress of this work. (Don’t worry. I won’t get rid of the railway, this is just my plot explaining the digger).
More interesting facts. Terrain is officially over 10000 polygons. Would splitting it up into smaller pieces improve the framerate?
Cheers!

Wow great update (didnt download a updated version for a few time so the addition to the plants and stuff are great.

I think rocks shouldn’t break apart, and when you hit one you come to a almost-complete stop, but the rock could move a little. Same with the contrete barriers (orange/white)

I also think the game needs some shadows :slight_smile: It’ll add a lot more realism to the game.

Hi CaleBr,
yup true and i am going to persist this time!

now the sprint function in ur game has a little “bug” ,i mean at least in my pc,once u press the sprint button the motion blur never stops…so by lookin at some python tutorials and more specifly in the rasterizer session, i found this piece of code which can fix the problem(i think)…
disableMotionBlur()

Disables the motion blur effect.
Sample Code

# import Rasterizer

import Rasterizer

# disable motion blur

Rasterizer.disableMotionBlur()

and icant w8 for the next updates!
Kind regards,

Quite a bit of progress since the last time I downloaded this, the car now handles quite good and I’m liking how the map is shaping up.

The update factory still chugging away faithfully: http://www.mediafire.com/?lxhkwmig2mu

New unit block, and game has low-range shadows.

One of the first sections of road to have buildings on both sides!
Additionally, I’ve widened all the roads and changed the windows on all the buildings.

JESUSFRK14: Thanks, the plants do add more to the game (and reduce my chances of being attacked by eco-terrorists). I modified the huge boulders not to fall apart, but some of the smaller rocks fall to bits still. As for orange/white concrete barriers, I’m not precisely sure what you’re talking about. Is it the red and white plastic barriers on the T-intersection of the highway? If so, I’ll increase their mass (and damping) for the next update. I added shadows, but they only work on the car and nearby objects (they look good though).

ShortkeyFmeout2: Sprint button as in ‘boost’ or the event trigger for the ‘Sprint race’. Either way it’s annoying. I thought I fixed that. Oh, well. I’ll try to fix it using Python. Ta.

Ace Dragon: Thanks! Progress is slow, but regular.

The world in this is fantastic, nice job.

Edit: You can have a global variable by assigning it to the GameLogic module.

In one script:

GameLogic.x = 1

In another:

print GameLogic.x

Just make sure the first one runs before the other- i.e., use the little ‘star’ button on the controller so that it has priority.

The map is very pretty, I do hope you continue and make a complete city!

Additionally, I’ve widened all the roads and changed the windows on all the buildings.

Nice! The roads were a bit too narrow before.