arcade vehicle driving game

Love the shadow,good work :smiley:

the maps look awesome ,no complaints at all and bout the sprint stuff …well i guess hehe but i think it should not be so hard for u to achieve the fix for that…wish u gl and bring on more updates plix pl0x :smiley:
Regards,

New update:
My internet was excruciatingly slow, I barely uploaded it in time…

New ‘modern design’ house.

An old shed (obviously another ramp)

A huge welcome monument in semi-classical style. Here’s a challenge: try to get the car on the top of the monument.
Raiderium: Thanks! I can’t believe the code was so simple. Even so, this code is very useful to improving my code.
Mad Hatteur: I’m glad you like the map. The terrain would be even better if I could blend the terrain textures, but I don’t know how to do this without reducing texture resolution. As for completing the city, I don’t know if it will ever be finished, but I’ll continue working on it.
JESUSFRK14: Glad you like it. It looks good, but you lose framerate speed.
ShortkeyFmeout2: Thanks! Glad there’s no problems. Will fix motion blur, once I remember…oops.

Updates may thin out in the following weeks; study’s getting intense.

Yay Downloading :wink:
Comments later ^^
All the best,
Noobish boy mostly known as Newbie

hey CalebR,
i played the new version and it looks like u’ve been working carefully with the details…and even playing in multitexture mode i could see a lot of improvements!
Gratz!
Yours,

New update:

Hill-climb road finally being meshed out!

Alternate view, from the underside of the hill-climb road.

ShortkeyFmeout2: Turns out there’s some kind of conflict between the motion blur and rotating the camera manually. I can’t figure out why though. When you rotate the camera and hold boost, either the boost gets locked on or the camera won’t stop rotating; - annoying. I think this glitch is also the reason that motion blur is getting stuck on. I’ll be updating the whole boost system soon, so hopefully I’ll fix those glitches in the process.

Everyone: New things coming up.

Short-term plans: I’m planning on improving the boost system, adding a boost guage and a temperature guage. The boost will work like this:

• You gain boost simply by not using boost. Boost gain will go up according to revs. This is because I’m planning on using a form of exhaust-recycling system that extracts any nitrous oxide fumes, storing them for later use. This system is experimental, so boost build-up will be pretty slow.
  • Using boost will increase engine temperature. Sort of based on the Motorstorm boost system, you will only be able to boost for so long. But rather than the engine exploding, the engine will labour, and eventually give out for a few seconds. Abusing the engine in this manner several times may result in the engine exploding (no promises though).
    Long-term plans: I hope to make this game an RPG as well. I’ve been toying with this idea for a while now, but I don’t plan to make it a reality for some time yet. For now, I’ll continue developing the map with platform-like cliffs, and ‘maybe’ constructing the interior of some buildings. Here’s a proposed character design:

A flying teddy-bear. A bit bizzare, but I thought it might be interesting. When I say ‘flying’, I actually mean ‘gliding’. The RPG side of things will work in a similar fashion to Spyro games; albeit with a calebR twist (eg. racing a car through town). Tell me what you think. I might post a few more character designs over the following weeks.

Oh i c …=/
i wish i new python or logic bricks to get u some help =/ and ppl please experts in this forum,help him out :smiley:
and i nice plans btw ^^
wish u the best of luck !
Kind regards,
Newb
PS: i tried to download the new file but it says that no servers are currently available ¬¬ ,ima try dat later …

I agree ShortkeyFmeout2, but pro-Pythoneers are rare in the Blender forums, and as a result, are usually busy.

Everyone: Okay, Raiderium explained how how to assign global variables, but I couldn’t figure out how to use them. Basically I want a line of code that would be the operative equivalent of writing an Expression GameLogic.[var]==number] in LogicBricks (but it actually works). I know I need to import the second object’s variables into the first object, but I have no idea how to do it.

eg. #Code for a physics object on Collision with the car
if car.speed > 50:
then
[action]

A complete demonstation would be good.

Word CalebR!!
Oh God cant wait to start developing my game and start studying logic and python ¬¬ im so looking forward for that…
anyways i downloaded ur game no and will test it later oh yeah babey hehe
All the best,
Newb in progress

New update, for all: http://www.mediafire.com/?4jyyivztegy

New building, currently WIP.

New boost system.

How much does the interior of a small house cost?
228 polys and over a hour.
That’s without windows, doors, or furniture!

Just to explain the boost system:

• You have an infinite about of boost. I decided this because people who conserve boost would be penalised if there was limited boost.
  • Boost system very similar to Motorstorm, but engine overheats rather than exploding. You can tell the engine is about to overheat if the thermometer on the HUD lights up.
  • If the engine is overheating, the engine will cut out and you won’t be able to accelerate for a few seconds. This is incidated by the thermometer flashing.
    ShortkeyFmeout2: Hopefully the motion blur is fixed, but I’m not completely sure…it works on my computer. Just out of curiousity, what Operating System are you using (Windows/Mac/Linux), and what version of Blender are you using? Maybe there’s an alternate reason why motion blur is not working on your system.

Hey CalebR,
im going to download the newer version now and will let u know if it got fixed on my pc too,btw im running windows 7/blender 2.49b ^^
Kind regards,
Newb in progress

Dwonloading :smiley:

Man good idea about an RPG game, but honestly I have no idea how you edit that game because it’s so large, it’s hard to move around.

Yay CalebR,
u got it man, it works like a charm now !! and i noticed a lot of improvements in the physics thingy,the suspention and steering system is just perfect now ,it seems like ucan feel the car if u no wut i mean!!
Gratz dude :wink:
Yours,
Newb in progress

New update (finally): http://www.mediafire.com/?nmkjzijd0zn

Mountain climb road even more meshed out. ‘Platform jumping’ terrain cleverly sculpted into the cliffs. (Useless for now).

Polonominomolo’s green energy sector, which is visibly underfunded.

Bridge. Currently spans nothing. WIP.

New character designs:
Roxter - A current small-time guitarist, with a bizzare fashion sense.
Bill the cook - An enthusiastic cook, whose personal hygiene is lax at best.
Wowser - Chief manager of Polonominomolo’s sports/battle arena. Fan of wrestling, but hopeless at it himself.
Flame Fred - Resident mad scientist of the Antarctic expedition. Susceptible to going nuts in the heat, or on contact with fire.
Poster - Carrier pigeon, expert at delivering mail, gets around by flying or on in-line skates.
Roboss - Possible boss for the game.
Sportbot - A friendly robot especially designed for playing sports. Also acts as a ‘filler’ for characters yet to arrive.
DJ Mon - He knows what it takes to add the disco groove to any party. Works as a celebrity DJ in various nightclubs.
Rasse (pronounced Race) - Has a taste for adventure, enjoys karting, and prefers to get around on rooftops for the added thrill.
Splash - Superb chef; has the strange ability to know precisely when food is cooked.
Sal - A victim of bullying, Sal decided to attach an axe-blade to her hair. She learned how to master her ferocious hair at a medieval weapons training class.
Dugg - Natural instinct and high-tech gear allows Dugg to dig through almost any terrain. Works as an excavator and engineer.
Chippy - Member of the Antarctic expedition. Also a keen world tourist.
Sayle - An owner of one of the two major corporations within Polonominomolo. The Sayle Enterprises slogan is: ‘If it isn’t a good, we don’t sell it’. As a result, Sayle’s stores don’t stock weapons.
Sellzout - Owner of the other key corporation, Sellzout Incorporated. Often employs dubious tactics, such as employing people to destroy the competitions’ billboards. His suspicious methods are reflected in his slogan, ‘Our prices are more than reasonable’. Sellzout does stock weaponry, but food products are usually of a poor quality.
Starcatfish - Zozoo’s self-appointed sidekick. Hilarious persona. Can float through the use of magic.
Zozoo - A slightly silly flying bear. Graduated at clown college; an apprentice to the great Bozo himself.

On top of the changes indicated in the screenshots, I have also:

• Changed how physics objects activate. This means small objects won’t wreck or pass through larger objects. Slight glitch means that objects will not activate on the rare occassion; this is more likely if you approach the object side-on.
  • I got a PC game controller, so I spent a day making it compatable with the game. You can use a game controller too! Instructions on how to use the buttons in the blend file.
  • The new house is functionally complete.
    I will try to modify all the buildings to have an interior, and it will be standard with all new buildings.
    ShortkeyFmeout2: I think I know what you mean by ‘feel the car’. However, I usually get that feeling in simulator racing games. Glad that you’ve got it working.:yes:
    JESUSFRK14: Thanks, but what do you mean by ‘hard to move around’?:eyebrowlift2: The character could always jump into the car and race to a location. Faster vehicles, planes, and teleportation aren’t out of the question either…
    As for editing it, the changes would be minor, simply making some areas accessable on foot, but not by car. Take a look at the rooftops of the buildings. They’re all within convenient jumping distance…

Srry I meant the editing of the game, since them a map is so big, moving around in the game engine is soo hard :stuck_out_tongue:

No update this week; sorry. I barely got anything done on Blender with assignments taking priority. The situation is probably going to stay this way for a few weeks.

JESUSFRK14: Moving around the game engine isn’t so bad, I usually work on a single section at a time. What is going to be a pain is refurbishing the buildings to have interiors because it takes a fair bit of time (not to mention other priorities bogging down my progress).

oops i have missed the last update hehe and the characters sound intresting :smiley:
downloading & comments later
All the best,
ShortK

This post is probably uneccessary…
Just posting to tell everyone I haven’t done anything this week, for the same reasons on my previous post.
Don’t worry, the project isn’t dead; - it’s in limbo, waiting for a cure.
And that cure’s coming soon, as I started writing a draft for my assignment the other day.
Hopefully I’ll get the draft done sometime this coming week, so I can crank up my game again.

my comments never happened? guess i forgot the game in my downloads folder and never played ? lol
anyways i just played the gme and it gets better and better at every update!!
Gratz :smiley:
ShortK

My game came back to life!.. Almost. It woke up, hacked up a furball and fell back asleep; figuratively speaking. Download the update here: http://www.mediafire.com/?23jwmdqzinm

The shop has its interior built. Feel free to smash the shopfront anytime!

My first attempt at making a head for ‘Zozoo’. I’m not very good modeling rounded objects… I’ll give it another attempt.
ShortkeyFmeout: Glad you like the game.:yes: I’m also glad it’s improving each update (it would suck if it got worse)!:eek:
Everyone: I didn’t get my assignment finished, but I found time to work on the game. The assignment’s due next week, so it shouldn’t be a problem in the near future. Hopefully I’ll get my character done for the next update. No promises though.