Aztec - Escape from Volcano Island - Is Back!

once again great concept sketches…looking awsome

Thanks for the comments guys. The Art department is having our x-mas party tonight at my bosses house so I dont think I will get the Volcano monsters done untill tomorrow night. If I have time I will try to get this giant tree done too. Aztec is pretty much gonna stay the same, except he will have a more real look to him. This way I can use real feather textures and skin colors. The crabs will look so cool with the crab shell texture I have planned. I will post more concepts as I do them. Since I broke my scanner glass moving to my new apartment I have to wait untill x-mas and santa is going to bring me one. For now I will scan these at work and hope I dont get caught lol. Stay tuned! and thanks again

Ok, Christmas is over! YAY! Now I can get back to work on this little game.

I got stuck on the second level and did about 4 or 5 concepts that I totally trashed! I started over today with a new look for the second level. I must say, I cannot wait to scan these tomorrow at work! (no santa did not bring me a new scanner this year :(…) Ok I got a new character sketched up. He is a Dragon Warrior. He has a huge dragon mask and dragon armor. He will fit the theme very well. I think I will keep him as the boss on the second level. For baddies I designed a fire spitting tower that will be placed around the level, he spits slow fireballs so easy to kill if you dodge them. Next is a rolling ball that swing two spikes! I will put two of these in this level. Besides all these baddies there will be swinging axes from the ceiling. I also redesigned the look of the volcano level and it has a much more aztec look to it. There will be rooms that connect and 1 big central area with lava and the boss. Oh yeah, the entry to this area looks pretty cool too. You pretty much walk into the dragons mouth! Ok, more tomorrow after I post the concepts. Have a good new year guys!

Dragon monster, huh? Maybe you can name him Icoxo! (Heh, heh… just kidding)

Just out of curiousity, when do you plan to start blending?

Well, I actually broke my middle mouse button on my logitec mouse playing battlefield 1942…I get pretty intense… So I bought a new wireless mouse and kb, I just got it installed today and I am trying to get used to the feel of it.

My plan is to do a few more sketches, make a ton of textures for the walls and floors I will need. Then I will start blending. I like to have a good plan before I start. That way I am not planning as I go. Helps when you see the end, before you start the journey.

Ok, I got time today to scan 1 image in. Here is the boss for the second level. He is a dragon warrior.

http://www.blenderprojects.com/games/dragon.jpg

A sneek peek at level 2

http://www.blenderprojects.com/games/level2.jpg

Great character concepts! The tree people is an awesome design. The Z in your logo looks more like a c or an e, but sweet logo. The savages model has an awkward shape to it. Blocky here and there, like the chest, and the amount of polys in it could be distributed better to smooth out his contours. I’m looking forward to seeing some level shots

I’ve checked this project already a few times. It has a good look. I’m sorry that I ask but do you have more screenshots of the game in Blender(or will it be made in another engine, did I maybe miss a part?).

No, hes making it in blender, but hes just at the concept stages right now.

I am pretty serious about NOT doing any 3d untill I have all the concepts done. It will be done in blender as braveheart said.

Anyone who knows me pretty good here, knows I preach concept, concept, concept…before even starting in 3d. So many people start a game with no idea of what they want to do. I am trying to show that a good game proceeds a good concept. Not to knock anyones games, but i am trying to do something that is not just a gun floating around a bunch of boxes inside a boxy level. I have always loved game design, and it is something i want to learn how to do better.

Concept Art is a very important part of making games and movies.

How many concepts do you have left to do?

I have 1 more of the tree level, 1 of the tree level boss to draw, I am about to post the conqestador skeleton monster… and then I have to post the props and misc. items. Then I am done.

Then I will start on the main character model and then everything for level 1. So I will have 3d stuff very soon.

EDIT!!!

http://www.blenderprojects.com/games/skeleton.jpg

HAHA LOVE IT!
really looking forward to this game!

Well, its finally 2007 and I finally got me a new mouse to model with. So I decided to give you what you all have been asking for. 3d!!! I will post updates as I work on him.

http://www.blenderprojects.com/games/aztec01.jpg

what a bunch of nice pictures!

you got a really nice style! thanks for shareing with us :slight_smile:

Are you using an older version of Blender?
The screen looks modelled in the 2.25.

umm, 2.41.

I adjusted the color a bit of the background to go with my monitor.

I got the torso done today. What do ya think so far?

http://www.blenderprojects.com/games/aztec02.jpg