Best Auto Retopology tool ever?

Here is Autopo set to 5k and 2.5k

1 Like

3D coat auto new retopo seems the best for lower poly.

2 Likes

Could you share settings pics please ?
thanks

1 Like

2 Likes

Is there any way to create delaunay curvature surfaces like in 3dsmax to improve retopo results?

If you look at the AutopoParams pic I posted it has setting for Auto-Density Influence Multiplier. Set that to zero for a regulatory grid. Set it higher to let Autopo put more quads where they are needed to get more details in detailed areas. HardsurfaceRetopolgy doesn’t seem that good for me unless maybe you have only sharp flat surfaces. Even then the new Autopo is so good maybe don’t use Hardsurface.

2 Likes
  • Auto-retopo got essential update. Now it works correctly with lowpoly meshes as well (even with irregular triangulation with long triangles).
    Also it may detect sharp edges even over relatively “soft” voxelized objects. It creates “feature strokes” automatically in this case. You need to turn on “Hardsurface” mode to enable this sort of detecting.
    Now voxelize+hardsurface combination really has sense.
3 Likes

Has the brush engine / feel of sculpting been improved as well in 3D-Coat during the past few years?

And… do the 3D-Coat devs notice ZBrush users moving to 3D-Coat yet? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

yes, a lot. Brush engine feel & speed up because complete rewrite, Give a try please.
As Jama Jurabaev, like example ?
- Paolo: may I ask, why 3DCoat in particular?
- Jama: Voxel sculpting. 3Dcoat has the best tools for it.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Maxon Announces an Agreement to Acquire Pixologic, Makers of ZBrush

Yes. The highlight update for me.
“- Really good news. Voxel brush engine sped up several times, now it works really smooth. In some cases 2x, in some cases 10x. Still slower than surface, but not so far from.”
many brushes are getting a huge update recently. Now we are at 2021.83

Here is the full text of the past month of updates. Note a new build almost daily. Also available by click Help > Update Manager.

3dcoat dec updates.txt (5.8 KB)

2 Likes

It is not almost daily build too fast for quality or are those beta builds ? Monthly or weekly quality builds would not be better ?
Just curious and asking as i do not update so frequently.

1 Like

They are beta builds. It means they are working on it. Though if they didn’t update for a month and announced something like VR that would be great.

3 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: VR sculpting discussion

I tried 3D coat 2021.086 Retopo, it’s just amazing :astonished:
I think people will use more and more Autopo before others retopo tools.
10000 polys

Lower resolutions

1000 polys, it’s just incredibly good and respects the density paint.

Below 800 polys, there isn’t enough polygons to distribute correctly on mesh, but you could rework and complete some gaps quickly.

Around 880 seems lower acceptable value for this mesh topology

For low poly, best way i think could be to auto retopo using value like 1000 polys, then use some decimate feature to reduce topolgy for low values, something i’ll have to try.

This shows clearly 3D coat auto retopo has become the best or among the very top 3 auto retopo tools.
Fast and so good auto retopo after sculpting in some clicks, this is among best workflow.

6 Likes

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Depending on the hopefully soon disclosed details about the future of ZBrush, I am definitely planning to revisit 3D-Coat.

1 Like

3D Coat was the original pioneer of an auto re topology system of course. And the hand re topology tool set was and is great too and a pleasure to use. It was also the original pioneer of free form voxel sculpting and modelling where you start with a ball of clay and simply merge stuff up together from different blocks and shapes. I still remember the first promotional video I saw and how fresh and new it all felt. The one with the lizard on the rock. From voxel sculpt to hand retopo to texture painting.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Autopo was indeed the first auto-retopology tool, before ZBrush introduced QRemesher, the predecessor to ZRemesher. I also remember being intrigued by the first 3D-Coat demonstrations. Back then I was still a polygon subdivision modeler in 3ds Max, and it took several more years before I actively entered the world of digital sculpting. Since I did that, I couldn’t imagine modeling without sculpting anymore.

I also own 3D-Coat, next to ZBrush, and have used 3D-Coat intensively for a while, but in the end I preferred the feel of ZBrush brushing. I do love a lot of 3D-Coat tools, such as the many stroke types and the great spline tools.

1 Like

At the time of the lizard demo video back when version 3 first appeared I think, there was nothing else quite like it.

Likewise. I’ve worked between them for several years now and both have been important. I have been very impressed so far by what I have tried in 3D Coat 2021 especially the speed ups and streamlining going on in the paint room. I still need to dive in further and try out more of it though and also the point update feature.

1 Like

But in older versions there was many crashes using it, density paint and lines seemed sometimes to have almost no influence sometimes, and it was unable to preserve edges like in latest version ( like how i demonstrated here on the version before 2021.08).
Perhaps one reason it was not more popular.

With such big improvment on latest version, 3D coat will have to do good showcase, not let people ignore they have that amazing auto retopo tool working extremely well.

2 Likes