BGE : Where are the collabrative projects ? Creation of a Wiki?

Well the first thing I would do is put @AeroLynx 's tutorial list on the wiki. I would give each link its own page. That way people could add extra information like erratica, further reading and such.

Then maybe I would make a page for things like @wkk 's BgeZ and @Daedalus_MDW 's KeyMapper. I wouldn’t include @Cortu 's GryLib tho, otherwise people might expect me to maintain it.

After that I might make a link for game projects like @blenderaptor 's 3d Adventure Fighting Game, and @wkk 's Zombie Shooter. The page might include things like contact information and submission guidelines.

Are you sure you want this kind of random stuff in the official documentation?

Honestly tho, It doesn’t matter a whole lot to me. I started using the bge about four years ago. I think the version was like 2.6 or something but I’m not sure. That version was more or less sufficient to make the game I want to make. I don’t know what y’all are trying to make, and I don’t know what problems y’all have been having, but I’m doing just fine. I don’t actually need the Bge to be updated so long as it continues to run.

Btw, if your going to make an independent game, then you will be expected to preform in every aspect of development. This includes marketing. Maybe theres a tutorial on the forums, but I don’t know how you’d ever be able to find it if there is.

1 Like

Preface: This is my biased and totally anecdotal opinion, also there will probably be a fair deal of projection.

Of the many people who find this place, most do not stay for long. And if they do, those of them who stayed long enough to get really good, more than 99% of them leave.
This place cannot really sustain the average user. It is too difficult. Though I would not be surprised if many of the greats in the industry were to later say, that they began here.

I think over the years, this place has attracted many people. Most were just normal people, people who wanted to work in teams - and yet for whatever reason, they almost always fail.

My suspicion is that there are three primary factors for this:

1. In the Blender Game Engine, almost everything can be done; but it seems on average to take a lot more steps than elsewhere.

2. Collaboration is painful and slow, more so in the BGE, as it requires a higher degree of expertise than average, from all parties involved.

3. For years(Maybe even still?), it was extremely difficult, to create the equivalent of a ‘prefab’ from Unity.

Add to that the patience, organizational and searching skills required to find and remember answers, and the forecast for continued use grows rather bleak.

I still use Blender, I’ll probably always use it, heck I’ll probably always draw inspiration from it in my programming/developing endeavours - I love it.

But it is old now, too outdated and too strange, too free really, for most people to adopt it - they cannot handle that much responsibility - that much overhead.

It probably wouldn’t be a stretch to say, that I’ve gotten hundreds of people to use Unity - but I don’t think I’ve managed to get a single person to use Blender, well for game-dev at least - but I still hope for it, dream of it - imagine ways to make it a possibility - and meanwhile I’ve worked to develop the skills necessary to reificate that dream.

I’ve definitely gotten closer than in years past, but still, it is years away, and in this line of work, years might as well be centuries.

But that is the timeline for a programmatic solution, a fix to issues with Blender itself.

But what you’ve discussed here, this wiki of sorts, that kind of thing can be begun today.
Why don’t we? Why haven’t we? Have we? Ó__ò

1 Like

Nice way to put things, I do agree with most of what you said.

Why is there nothing new: because no one is doing it.

Finding a hosting place for the wiki, writing or configuring the website, writing content…

Just the first step stops most I would think.

I think an online multiplayer game creation suite is what is missing,

I am looking at using mozzilla spoke to edit blender data.

we are also missing a sort of git for assets

Personally, any sort of template or tool that needs to adapt to a range of use cases thrice as large as I’d ever bother with, I’m loath to work on; I’ll write code as readable and flexible as I can and, if necessary, explain how and why x works – then how to turn x into y or z or w can more safely be left for the user to find out.

This brings me to my point here, collaborative or not, if a project is built to be easily modified and expanded on then it also functions as a learning tool. Mantaining a site with loads and loads of documentation sounds pretty, but simply agreeing to build games that facilitate modding is just as useful, promotes the engine and does not require us to agree on anything else.

Anyhoo, I don’t know about you folks but that’s what I’m doing.

Yes, i think that starting to make like a mini-gta template would be awesome to start with. I promise to deliver something in June (i was away for many weeks now)

good I would like to see it.

1 Like

Bump!

hello,

yeah yeah, im getting up… let me grab some coffee.

Hi guys,

I created a wiki page to expose my template project related to my game

I found a very good free wiki , extremely simple to use with no ads. The only problem is that i would have to pay 20$/month to make it public.

https://slimwiki.com/bge/welcome

But it’s possible to view once connected (here is the user i created allowed to view the content)

email : iamviewer1 ( hattt) yopmail . com
pw : bgeviewer1

I created a second account to edit the pages . Send me a PM if you want to join the project; i will send you the name and password.

1 Like

hello, can you tell us more ? Please PM if u prefer. Join the wiki project ?

I am really not hyped by this hosting service… Having to share the same user account too? Someone can log in and do anything with it, not good.

At any rate, it looks sketchier than just having a github repo/wiki and allowing people to contribute there.

1 Like

i’m open for all solutions. I tried fandom . It’s free but full of ads … :confused:

GitHub is very pro, but do we really need anything complicated since one have to share our ideas first ? Do github offers a wiki service , easy to use ? Free ? Easy to register ?

What questions do you have after looking at the website, the repo, it’s wiki, youtube, the twitter and the discord servers?
Frankly, I think your time might be better spent elsewhere. A perceived lack of bge information isn’t the hard part about making games imo.

1 Like

Have fun: https://github.com/bge-community/wiki

Pull Requests are welcome ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m making my game with modding in mind, I feel that’s way more practical.
also thought maybe I’d record tutorials or something, but I never get around to it.

NINJA EDIT: am I replying to myself? wat?

@everyone,

you don’t need to be an active contributor for the moment. Maybe people are scared when they see things like a github page. So let’s take it easy. People are freely invited to

• present what they did so far
  • say what they would like to do to help

If so, just find a place to show your work in such a way it help us to understand (no one will read python code). Print screen of your logic bricks and comments is already marvelous.

@wkk , once we see things a bit more clear one can later make the things seriously on Github. But in any cases, thx for opening that page already.

No particular questions. Just wanted to know if you want to fshare something. For the moment, im trying to make people connect around a free project.

i vote for the github pages, they fully support MD and track changes i think.

and ill be more likely to throw something in. :wink:

@Daedalus_MDW Right now I’m not using the github pages system per say, but rather directly using the markdown display feature in a repo. If someone wants to setup the repo for pages, I would gladly look a the PR.

As much as it pains me, I hope some people get to see through that.