BGE : Where are the collabrative projects ? Creation of a Wiki?

From a different thread:

Yes, but no one had the experience or support to actually start something like it.

When people tried to come up with templates or framework, at best only a very few people supported the project, but not enough to really make it live.

You seem new to these forums (relatively), as there have been attempts, but no one followed.

Some:

And I have missed a lot of others.

What is usually lacking is at least one of: experience (=quality) / support (+feedback)

So if you feel like you can setup a really great new template and have people contribute/give feeback to it then by all means do!

But I’ll already try doing :stuck_out_tongue:

Most of the FPS templates you show in the links are simply a camera + a gun parented to a box , 2 pictures of their super-project, then nothing … Kind of things people make after seeing a video on youtube :smile: .

I will consider an aspect of my template as done as soon as nothing has to be changed in the game logics of the game / except the proprieties and the assets.

2 Likes

But it’s true i should probably try to find some audience on other forums. This is like completely dead.
Do you recommend me a good one for indie games ? This is my first game

Hi every one

I found very good and well strutured documentation on https://flossmanuals.net
in french the series :
https://fr.flossmanuals.net/blender-pour-le-jeu-video/pourquoi-utiliser-le-blender-game-engine/
I don’t know (or found) english equivalent documentation.

Second finding : eevee in (and) blender 2.8 seem a new clean base to start (for persons
interested in game conceptetion / realisation …) If bge could integrate this new technology (and maintaining connection with blender 2.8 evolution) it should be promising. (I run blender2.8 on 300$ laptop)

Lukas animation node in blender 2.8 with a keyboard + joystick+ mouse node seem
not far from a game engine.

I follow both project, but day as only 24 h

A wiki page should be a good focal point to concentrate attention or a good starting point with possibly links to other stuff.

Jolo

2 Likes

Thx for that excellent link. I found also some many little tutorials to start BGE ; those tutorials explains how to set things. My project is to go 1 step further by giving a template (so everything is already setted) and the wiki will be used to explain the template. I dont just want the readers to read but want to improve or get the template bigger

1 Like

I think upbge can do anything the big engines do.

alot of the sneaky tricks, is using python to pass a pointer to GLSL or C extensions.

‘extending’ the engine is not documented anywhere,

1 Like

The issue of user-made BGE templates is that they can be difficult to set up and implement in your own project. The BGE does not have a proper plugin system that comes with custom API’s and even visual tools and widgets like many of the other engines. I guess you could attempt to create an addon that produces special tools and UI options, but I don’t know how you would allow that to edit a game at a per-object level.

This gets especially dicey when custom shader demos are involved, the BGE lacks in the area of WYSIWYG editing so it’s a lot of guesswork and trial and error before you successfully implement an effect. I remember when working on my mini-golf game and worked to implement the demo for reflecting/refracting objects, the lack of visual feedback was actually less of an issue than the fact that custom shaders are tricky to ensure compatibility with changing and restarting scenes.

I output the stuff I want to output node, to debug, then dump it into a render attachment,

I do pretty well with this setup.

for instance a soap bubble.

one value to change Index of refraction :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah i see how BluePrintRandom is creating fancy cool effects with coding and material nodes but no way i can recreate those effects. BGE and especially UPBGE has lack of understandable resources to learn to do such cool things.

1 Like

@BluePrintRandom and @Ace_Dragon AceD. Seems you are pro with the core of the engine

yes. Should try to encapsule that into production

I make tutorials for the stuff I do, but they are buried in devlogs I assume.

this shader I shared (bubble) I made from scratch.

I take the output of geometry node and localize it (subtract info node location)

then I transform it to local space (vector transform node) - I point the objects Z axis at the screen.

this gives the correct color I need for the distortion buffer.

I pop the color into a render attachment, then use a 2d filter against it (to make the distortion spread)

I then use the resulting buffer to sample pixels in the screen buffer.

that is how I distort the screen,
(render attachments are in current upbge master I have builds if anyone needs them)

I used to be a heavy user of the BGE and also used to be a major fan of it, so I know a thing or two about how the engine works and what its weaknesses are.

Who is responsible for this masterpiece ? She’s so cute ^^ ahah

1 Like

I believe the most efficacious solution to the aforementioned problem is the creation of a proper Bge wiki, “That anyone can edit.” I believe wikiapedia offers the software they use. I would probably be willing to contribute to it on occasion, for a while, supposing I was aware of its existence. The Bge seems to have a lot of fly by nights, so it is important that people can edit other peoples posts and that you ask for forgiveness not permission.

1 Like

one tool that would speed collaberation, is a level editing software inside bge that is multiplayer where one can deform / splat map / place kit instances -> save it -> open with bpy and then make LODs / setup libloading chunking etc.

I just happened to get the last part working.
(deform / color/ set normals / uv of 1000’s meshes in game -> send back to bpy )

1 Like

There’s something remotely equivalent on GitHub with “wikis”. In my opinion the GitHub repository should be the first place of truth. It would also make people have just a toe inside where the engine development happens (or should happen, since it stopped recently). I feel like people are way too disconnected from the reality of what it is that they are using, almost forgetting that it is just source code, publicly available, and open to contributions.

But I digress, GitHub wiki is nice.

1 Like

I think there should be a kind of little forum for each feature, directly accessible from the official documentation. For the BGE, that is not going to happen, but for the interactive mode - who knows?

At least for me, this would totally make sense. You check the release notes or some API docs and find something which you can use and give it a try with a little experiment. Basically what tutorialsforblender3d.com did, but official and with room to share and discuss.

People could post improvements and minimal examples there and devs and new users will directly find it and don’t have to search in years of forum posts.

With respect to Github as base/platform…i am unsure, because it may scare non-programming people. It should have a modern look and be easily accessible for everyone.

I think it would be good to have a little scare. Regarding the BGE (and its continuity with UPBGE), no one actively maintains it anymore. Blender (2.8 and up) can be a blackbox since the Blender Foundation is taking care of everything, + all the devs/contributors working on the “product”. BGE doesn’t have that, and almost no one wants to dirty his hands in what remains of that community. I won’t. At least I won’t more than providing builds and automated releases on a fork of UPBGE like I’ve tentatively been doing.

But if it is not GitHub wiki pages, then what would it be? Some service hosted by someone? Does that require a new application from scratch, or are there solutions already? How to actually organize the content? What content?

Most people wish, but when it comes to investing man hours into it, well, people are there playing with bpy or busy making models etc… It’s all fun and games but people should understand that from that point it is a free fall, no one is there to cater your beloved tool.

This is why I like solutions that get people closer to the project itself rather than just allowing them to keep mindlessly using the tool and expecting the moon from it.

http://tutorialsforblender3d.com/ was an incredible resource indeed, but I have no idea who managed that, and if anyone here is actually willing to do something similar. Would be awesome. Would.

To be fair I think anything set up and running would be infinitely better than any useless argument we all keep getting here.

I proposed GitHub wiki since it is the lowest effort, relatively speaking.

1 Like

I would like to someone to make a team project to make endless runner thirdperson videogames.
it could have vehicles in it and npc’s and other things people add.