BGE : Where are the collabrative projects ? Creation of a Wiki?

@everybody,

if you are interested. Please present in a few lines what you think you could bring to this project. Report your experience, show a game you made before… etc

Maybe one can think on the milestones, something like :

0.1 move character , camera management , basic metric measurements (distance to static ennemy)
0.2 swith on animations , end of action …
0.3 …

1.0 a playable 3d fight game in an arena
2.0 fps on a map with doors …
etc etc …

Wknight.

Are you interested to work on a particular aspect of the template ? This week-end i will present what i’ve done so far.

I don’t understand why it’s so important to have a github page if i’m obviously the only one who gonna work on it

Because I made a wiki, and you seem to be making a template.

I don’t have much interest in participating on the template, although I think it is a good idea to make one :slight_smile:

I might write something in the wiki about networking inside the BGE, maybe also good coding practices, I really don’t have much drive lately.

That’d be awesome. Keeping me from writing guides is the certainty that I’ll pass on bad habits.
I can pull off some pretty complex things but I know some of my methods are plain stupid.

There’s something i don’t like with the Github format is that that the editing part of the webpage is like on blenderartists.org or fandom.com , it’s barely half of the page .

I really invite you to have a look on slimwiki. https://slimwiki.com/bge/welcome

email : iamviewer1 ( hattt) yopmail . com
pw : bgeviewer1

It’s very pleasent for the eye and really realy Reaaally easy to use. Ofc, your choice.

Why does it require you to log in to view it?

That strikes me as more of a barrier to use than figuring out how a Github page works.

3 Likes

Ohh wow , :smiley: Sorry i only found out abt this thread so late abt this year lol, I’ve just been so focused and i gave up on the community as a whole instead i focused so much on the Works In Progress and Demos Section of Blender Artists…

So i forgot to mention that TBW which is one of my most ambitious Game Projects to date concerning UPBGE/ BGE has a small collaboration private team being run by myself “STRICTLY”. (The team has contributed quite a good decent amount of assets (note that i did the BULK of the assets)and atleast a Template (TBW uses Game3 mechanics template by @Daedalus_MDW ) platform upon which the Game uses in order to run, HOWEVER i do the rest and the bulk of the rest of the work because people aren’t reliable and dependable)

So the project is not a collaborative project, I did that because i realized that you can’t rely on people to help complete your vision especially coming from a community like this that seemed to have given up hope in BGE’s performance and capabilities and its true potential to shine and give hope to newbies who are interested in Making Games and BTW can use that opportunity by using the BGE. (BGE has taught me alot of things abt game design)

Now i want to mention something concerning my project TBW. (i have a collaboration team that i createdback when the project started, but it’s a private team and not managed here on BA but on a platform that has the most interactivity its really good especially for issuing tasks and contributions, it’s the closest you can get to a virtual team with team members being all around the world.)

Now my collaboration team is not more than 5 guys, currently i only have 2 people helping me out that would be @Daedalus_MDW and another friend of mines… These 2 guys i would say have helped me in terms of contributing what they are good at doing and also for the benefit of creating the game, with me doing everything else i end up doing the bulk of the work to advance the project because i realized no one else is reliable and you can’t depend on people, some people are slow some people lack the vision of the project so why not just push to make changes as quick as possible in order to advance quickly and make the game come to life when you know you can!

We live our lives everyday, many things happen and while we still got the chance to achieve something that’s possible why not take advantage and use that chance to make a decent blender game.

While i agree with most of this threads views, it’s great that you guys are creating a wiki, id be so happy to have a wiki where even a list of made blender games can be listed and remembered, so much more like an archive where people can have access to resources and tutorials for BGE and UPBGE. (that’d be great BTW)

So the games Iam currently tasked with finishing and i’ll provide resources and explanations as to how one can learn and also apply certain features and methods when making their game.
(i really want noobs and more newbies to use BG and UPBGE to make Games even better than the way i made mines all i wish to see is a Great library of BGE Games still being promoted and being played world wide.)

Iam a BIG Fan of the majority of well made blender games and it has only helped me be inspired to do what Iam doing today. (so let’s keep up the Current Games being made and let us finish them, I’m not to much of a fan of collab projects until we can be United as 1 and walk together with the ame vision then community projects will really change the way we see the blender game engine.

All I’m sayin guys is we need to be united again please if we are to start collaboration projects…

Initially and i shouldn’t be mentioning this too early but, i plan on making TBW Online open source once i finish the offline BETA , i plan on having the community come together and work on this collaboration Online project for TBW, and giving creative freedom i believe people can come in with ideas and really transform how the game should be for its online…

Fred/K.S

1 Like

well. Thx for replying. People are thinking i want them to help making a game with tons of assets and stuff.

I was more planning, to create a little solid template integrating step by step elements of a fps + 3d street combat. For the moment, i reduce my code a lot and it’s so minimalist, it becomes beautifull :slight_smile: . Imagine, just 1 python controler of 50 lines of python …

People think I’m wanting to launch in a huge project while it’s more sharing ideas and put it in a wiki.

I saw so many fps templates for BGE, they were heavy, bad and ugly to read. I don’t pretend to make better, but if one can make a little module/template so any projects could replace/ review their game by integrating the module which will manage

• camera , move and basic interactions

But I’m more and more agree on what you say about availability of people. But on the other had, i think people are wrong when they think they better move to godot , unity or unreal.
If people start to use (u)bge again then it will be back on tracks again . Why people left it in the first place ? because, so many people lost energy doing everything from scratch each time. If you tell them “ok, start with this cool template” , maybe people would have more time to reach the final developpement state of their game and focus more on the artistic aspect rather than fighting with the comprehension of how those logic bricks works.

So, why i ask people to join the project. Because, it will be frustrating for me to work on something that nobdy will care at the end. But for the moment, i’m still working on it.

1 Like

About the switch to Godot! (running away from BGE)

• i don’t understand the mentality people have, they think the Engine is what shines !!!
  • in my opinion the Game Shines as a result of the developer behind it… (It’s about the Skills the talent and the creativity and pure dedication and commitment if you don’t have any of what I’ve just mentioned above then good luck sticking to 1 Engine)

GODOT ISNT BAD NOR IS IT GOOD !!! (i may be talking out of ignorance)

• People must just make decent playable Games don’t give a crap abt the engine.

Just use the engine as a tool to get what your vision has for you.

I need to say this:
(these are the things you must do whilst you are using a particular engine u think can do the job)

• test the engine 1st… (see if yr vision will be best supported on the Engine)

• by testing the engine you are merely seeing if
    It can handle the main aspects of your Game…

• SCOPE (how much u can fit or add to the Game)

• FEATURES (themes, styles, yr personal systems)

• STORY (will it tell your desired story the way you want it)

• STABILITY (will your game be able to even run at all)

• PERFORMANCE (Will the game be able to run on players PC’s)
    make sure that you test the engine its very important, now alot of people will run away obviously with an outdated engine as BGE…:thinking:

So the only key that can make you stay and use the engine is if u love its workflow.
(Ok its hard to get to that part if 1st yr not interested in to its interface and shortcuts, my thing is i think that if a newbie hates complex Game Engines he/ she would be most likely attracted to a more easy to learn Game Engine i see why we’re all here this way cuz it was easy for us to learn its basics and therefore once we did that we just have to continue building our confidence and experience with the engine)

Many people don’t understand this, infact they “couldn’t” or “didint” have a proper workflow in BGE that’s why they left or the either left due to the Engine’s limitations as to what their vision perceived, as long as the engine allows you to push and make progress my suggestion and advise is Dew it!!!
(use the damn engine cuz it’ll help push yr game all the way to release, Thats for WORKFLOW)

Fred/K.S

Oki i may have missed out a point when saying what i said above :thinking:
hmm how could i put this…

Well Godot isnt bad its “nice”, ok so from my point of view lemme explain why GODOT doesn’t interest me even with regards to this thread’s title when talking abt the creation off a wiki and starting collaborative projects using BGE and using comunity members as a team as you @blenderaptor did for the FPS templates …

SO imo i dont really wanna switch because 1stly its time consuming:

• Ill have to learn the new Engine and all its features which is another month to spend learning AGAIN :tired_face:

• Ill have to use it all the damn time to familiarize myself with its interface…

• I’ll have to go and learn or practice coding just for the engine itself…

• if the engine has no tutorials and proper resources it’ll be hard i’ll have to spend another 2 years experimenting … (2 FLIPPEN YEARS OF TRIAL AND ERROR TO get new templates for me to start my own nice Game projects)

• Then i’ll have to think of a game that will be possible to make on the Engine …

• I’ll have to narrow my scope due to the Engines capabilities and abilities…

• I’ll have to wait for new features that are not implemented (OTHERWISE WORK-AROUNDS THE ENGINES LACK OF FEATURES ARE IMPOSSIBLE)

and yeah its another night mare, if its interface is hard it’ll take more time, if its workflow is not seamless or doesn’t flow then it’ll take time so all these things have to be taken in to account before you just make the switch…

Im being honest with you guy’s for me if i’d have to go commercial id make a switch to UE4, its just my personal preference not because someone said so! (but if iam making free Games i will use BGE because Blender is free and open source)

What the Blender Community did for me i give back freely because i received knowledge and skills freely and so i vow all my blender games are for free!
(if anyone needs resources i will provide but im interested to contribute to an active wiki much like how www.tutorialsforblender3D.com used to be!!!)

Otherwise Here’s my Word:

• If anyone is still using “BGE” or “UPBGE” same thing just different optimizations then Guys my advise is that yeah stick to it if you get stuck always have a backup plan … (WORK AROUND ALL FORMS OF LIMITATIONS DONT FIGHT THEM CUZ YOU WONT WIN)
  • There’s just too much work to do in fixing so many BGE /UPBGE bugs, issues and broken features even the pipilines and even the source code itself rather make yr game and work around those limitations cuz those will slow you down significantly.

(What happens is you get the group of devs who wanna make a game then they stumble across a block or barrier and they wanna fix it instead of going over it, so what they do is they take time to fix it and in time they lose the motivation to continue what they started. Then from that point they end up contributing to the fixing of an engine that is outdated and was neglected and badly looked after by its rightful owners, just use it with what it has and jump over all barriers!)

So yeah but if you’re not using BGE for other reasons because its just not fit to make yr type of game then cool go for it… its ye choice and we all respect that but dont come to our threads and trashing BGE and bragging abt GODOT’s features cuz we’re no where near Godot and most likely never will.

1 thing is special abt BGE and its the fact that its BGE there’s no other engine like it, it too has its own tricks and Godot cannot try and make BGE look like a fool in front of other Engines.
BGE was the best for its time but i say it is always capable and always will be of doing any type of game you want as long as the engine can work and cope with yr vision then you should be fine.

And that is all which you guys have learnt from me!
It is all i have to say after a long time of not talking abt the Engine…
Personally im not saying that my game is the best or anything, its way too far from even being the best but all i can say to you guys is that TBW is doing its best to try and push the Game Engine in territories that have never been tapped before and that’s what makes it stand out for UPBGE! :sweat_smile::+1: there are many other Blender games that are way way better than TBW and there will always be… but TBW will shine as TBW there is no other game from another engine that can shine exactly as TBW shines because BGE is on its own league, and TBW is also on its own League for achieving its own ambitions.

!!!So yeah Guys make the choice for yrself today !!!
dont try to compete against other Game Engines its not worth the time, BGE is on its own league even if its outdated new things can still be discovered that modern engines cant do !!!

BGE will always stay and be unique as it is and has stood for!
Fred/K.S

1 Like

yes, sorry. Slimwiki is free “but” … requires to pay 20$ months to make it public :smiley: Whatever, a motivated contributor won’t be afraid to have to log in to use that wonderful and hyper-simple wiki.

But i’m agree with you, i will try to find a new one to document my template (look the nice video :slight_smile: )

I don’t think i could make a full game by my own. I think that i will make a 1-level demo with 1 mission and i hope it will motivate people to create a team. There’s so many pro here with incredible game (unnecessary to mention Fred) and/or others with python , others with nodes and shaders knowledges but on the other side there 's is even FAR FAR more people who don’t have those knowledges but would like to focus on the artistic/content/mission script of a game creation. For the moment, the BGE just says ‘do all , yourself and alone’ , 'learn from scratch" and maybe u will make a ‘shitty’ game you will probably unfinish and nobody will play. I think it’s possible to limit this human disaster by creating once for all the link between the game engine and the game modding : the template

1 Like

There’s also this wiki

or this i just created (have to edit the theme, not very nice looking now). Everybody can subscribe and join

http://upbge.wikidot.com/

1 Like

Will have a look thanks @blenderaptor :grinning:

Fred/K.S

I’m editing it right now :wink: Starting to backing up the good old
www.tutorialsforblender3D.com

my first page

http://upbge.wikidot.com/cntrl-regular

1 Like

http://upbge.wikidot.com/start

1 Like

Well @blenderaptor i think you should take a look at this dude’s FPS Template!

Fred/K.S

Very nice!

When I try to edit a page I get the posted error.
Be aware, I am not asking for permission, I’m suggesting that you make it possible to edit with out explicit permission. The Official GitHub Wiki should be kept clean. The Unofficial Community Wiki should be allowed to be dirty.

For now I tried dumping a bit of my knowledge about using asyncio within the BGE, see https://github.com/bge-community/wiki/blob/26b9a696f439909b40fe9e770ff741ec5e2d96ea/sections/tutorials/asyncio/README.md

I made a Pull Request for it, comment there if possible.

3 Likes

Do you want to have access to make a wiki on this ?

I think that if people to start to expose what they did on a wiki page, we could start to do put things in order after a big “brainstorming”

I think it’s a good idea to have it like a “dirty” wiki, tutorialsforblender3D was dirty and still, 300% more useful than an Python API official documentation.