Blender 2.8 is now fully usable with left-click object selection

news

(Indy_logic) #629

Yeah, the issue is that with the new tool system, the behavior has fundamentally changed in 2.8. This affects both right and left click select. So, there was no easy way to just port the old tool system’s left click select.

essentially, it’s just going to take some time for the devs to massage it into the system we all want. Which is difficult because not everyone wants the same thing. either that or we just get used to it.
:man_shrugging:

(Thinking Polygons) #630

@kkar This is for you https://developer.blender.org/rB43325e98da8849029aad111915443654b686fd24

(Sandro Nunes) #631

Amazing behavior of the “select” tool in the last build, but I think it should be renamed to “Tweak”. I believe there is no need for 2 clicks (“click / drag / click”), 1 click (“click / drag”) is much faster.

“Move / rotate / scale” tools should deselect when clicking outside the object.

select%20tool

Here’s an example of the tweak tool in Softimage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYfUR1S_Fc

(Thinking Polygons) #632

Enable it image

And yes, they should change the name of the tool, select tool feels weird.
Also it should work a little better with multi components mode, it kinda tweaks what you didn’t clcked.

(Sandro Nunes) #633

Wow … I did not know that.
thank you

(Thinking Polygons) #634

But the thing I really don’t understand is why they don’t want to include the gizmo in the selection tools, makes no sense.

(Thinking Polygons) #635

They do now…

(Sandro Nunes) #636

Oh sorry. I was thinking one thing and I ended up writing another. I wanted to say “click / drag” outside the object, edit or object mode.

(Sandro Nunes) #637

In fact, it should only move when click exactly on the gizmo.

(captainkirk) #638

One issue I’ve found is that with LMB enabled if I try to scrub through the timeline I have to use RMB. Hopefully that gets fixed cause that will be extremely annoying.

(eobet) #639

This is actually something I don’t like, even in standard apps. It’s super easy to accidentally de-select everything in almost all apps that use it, and then you have to undo to get the selection back.

Having to press an explicit button, like in Autodesk Alias and Blender 2.7x feels like a more deliberate workflow. I hope there’s a toggle setting for this in 2.8.

(Zinogg) #640

u have to change it manually in the input from select_or_deselect_all to only select.

(English is not my native language) #641

Right now in Blender just compiled by myself, click and grab is not working even for RMB select. Is it an intentional decision?

(Thinking Polygons) #642

Release confirm is off?

(English is not my native language) #643

But, is the final decision to behave by default in that way?

(Thinking Polygons) #644

I hope so. That behavior always was kinda silly to me to be honest. And no otther app works like that. So it makes more sense the way it is now imo.

(kkar) #645

"Silly to you… " We are talking about Blender, not other tools. It is interesting that people call functionality that they cant appreciate it as silly. We came a long ways here. Because no other tool does it that way, so it should be off or removed, so says internet.

Lets say you are in the sequence editor (or nodes etc), and you want to drag a strip to move? Do you select the strip and press “g” or do you select and drag to move it? Which one is easier?

It is the same thing, just that the components are different, in edit that is a vert/poly/edge, in the nodes it is a node, in the sequence editor it is a strip, in pose mode it is a bone. This is unified behavior in pre 2.8 across Blender. But with your logic, dragging a strip or a node should be removed too.

I agree with the title “Blender 2.8 is now foolly usable with left click”

(Thinking Polygons) #646

Of course…

(0o00o0oo) #647

Wait, is this right? Can someone confirm or deny this?

(Hadriscus) #648

That’s the entire point of the select tool : when LMB is used both for action and selection, there’s a conflict when trying to select something and the gizmo is in the way (something that doesn’t happen with RMB select), so there was a need for a tweak tool that doesn’t have a gizmo so selection is not impaired.