Blender 2.8 is now fully usable with left-click object selection

They do now…

Oh sorry. I was thinking one thing and I ended up writing another. I wanted to say “click / drag” outside the object, edit or object mode.

In fact, it should only move when click exactly on the gizmo.

1 Like

One issue I’ve found is that with LMB enabled if I try to scrub through the timeline I have to use RMB. Hopefully that gets fixed cause that will be extremely annoying.

3 Likes

This is actually something I don’t like, even in standard apps. It’s super easy to accidentally de-select everything in almost all apps that use it, and then you have to undo to get the selection back.

Having to press an explicit button, like in Autodesk Alias and Blender 2.7x feels like a more deliberate workflow. I hope there’s a toggle setting for this in 2.8.

2 Likes

u have to change it manually in the input from select_or_deselect_all to only select.

Right now in Blender just compiled by myself, click and grab is not working even for RMB select. Is it an intentional decision?

Release confirm is off?

But, is the final decision to behave by default in that way?

I hope so. That behavior always was kinda silly to me to be honest. And no otther app works like that. So it makes more sense the way it is now imo.

"Silly to you… " We are talking about Blender, not other tools. It is interesting that people call functionality that they cant appreciate it as silly. We came a long ways here. Because no other tool does it that way, so it should be off or removed, so says internet.

Lets say you are in the sequence editor (or nodes etc), and you want to drag a strip to move? Do you select the strip and press “g” or do you select and drag to move it? Which one is easier?

It is the same thing, just that the components are different, in edit that is a vert/poly/edge, in the nodes it is a node, in the sequence editor it is a strip, in pose mode it is a bone. This is unified behavior in pre 2.8 across Blender. But with your logic, dragging a strip or a node should be removed too.

I agree with the title “Blender 2.8 is now foolly usable with left click”

Of course…

Wait, is this right? Can someone confirm or deny this?

That’s the entire point of the select tool : when LMB is used both for action and selection, there’s a conflict when trying to select something and the gizmo is in the way (something that doesn’t happen with RMB select), so there was a need for a tweak tool that doesn’t have a gizmo so selection is not impaired.

1:24:30

He explains the exact reason. “saves you from mouse strain”. And this is not the only place he has said this. But it is the most recent.

Nothing to do with right or left handed.

2 Likes

What mouse strain? Do you browse the web and think “god, my index finger is killing me, i wish i could click with the other one”? How weak are your hands? :slight_smile:

Ton is left handed (https://youtu.be/mf2uAJepT44?t=221) and for him the right mouse button is prominent one. So this makes sense. Mouse strain not, this is just a try to justify it.

Have a look at the history
https://www.blender.org/foundation/history/

It started as an in-house creation tool, influenced by feedback directly from the artists using it. If the reason was so insignificant as “Ton is left handed”, the artists would have asked for it to be changed, and there would have been a simple button switch (like there is in the OS) that Ton could use.

The fact that the development at the base level was performed with direct feedback from the artists themselves should be enough evidence that nothing so core to blender was designed on a whim, and the reasons go beyond even mouse strain.

2 Likes

I really don’t know what was the prob with LMB selections ^^
since ages, there was a choice in prefs: select with right / left

and it worked like a charm !!!

in 2.8 this option disappeared and you have to setup shortcut in key settings for 3D view.

sounds like L/R-mouse button is just a storm in a glass ^^

I always said it. But while you are using RMB to select, LMB is used for everything else.
So, LMB is still the predominant click with RMB keymap.

Seriously, right-handed user are currently probably more annoyed by redo panel and toolbar on the left of screen than RMB keymap.

Ton is referring to the whole workflow, where you point with the mouse, often sloppily, and effectively use the whole rest of your keyboard as mouse buttons to perform specific actions. As opposed to having the mouse travel back and forth to on-screen buttons you click, and then return to the modelling area, or constantly trying to precisely hit tiny manipulators on screen. That is what saves you from mouse strain. Not the fact the Select is on RMB (or LMB for that matter).

This would be obvious to you if you had included the next clause of the sentence in your quote - “saves you from mouse strain, especially, to use a little bit more fingers

Taking a half-sentence out of context and making Ton look silly is not cool.

6 Likes