Blender 2.8 is now fully usable with left-click object selection

clean your stored/old settings/ preferences

Sorry if this is already answered, anyway, simple question:
how I can get the Grab Tool to work in same way as in 2.79, in 2.8 left-click select mode? This (left click select and Grab tool) worked in 2.79 and earlier, now I’m completely confused.

Just tried that. I hit the set to factory defaults option under the file menu and still didn’t work.

Hi 2004 user, my respect :slight_smile:

Edit > Preferences, Under Editing and in Transform item uncheck Release Confirms

Could you explain why this is useful for you? Or is it that you are simply used to working that way?

It’s sad that it has been seen as a competition for so long but yes, I am happy that left-mouse select “won” and more happy to see influential Blender heads stating why it is reasonable to have done this despite their personal preferences.

I hear you. Not enough for me not to visit, but I too find it odd that the mods are in support of something they know is antagonistic. Especially given the heavy-handed tactics they’ve used recently in threads about the subject.

That said, I think you’ll find that the humour reason/excuse wears thin with time. Just as the old guard eventually realised that left-mouse select supporters weren’t without merit in their position, they’ll realise it’s rather petty to keep poking us after the battle has been fought, won, and become history. There is a reason only the trolls roll out the confederate flag in southern USA. Give it time.

2 Likes

Well I’m afraid that ‘‘release and confirms’’ is different thing. In short, in previous versions (and in 2.8 in right-click select mode), Grab Tool worked in similar way as let’s say 3d Studio Max ‘select and move’’ tool, one action for select and move in same time, in object and edit mode as well. Release confirms just causes the end of action on release (or not). In Maya, it’s possible to create the custom command for similar effect of permanent (so, no tilde as modifier key) tool. Tried 2.79 way in 2.8, but no hope with that one, too.

Oh, you are not up to date with the changes even before to what I had mentioned. You see Tools panel on your left, the first button by default is Select Box. You hold that button down for a while and you choose just Select.

1 Like

I don’t think it will be on the daily build until tomorrow.

But you have to clear some files in order to get the First Launch splash screen. Assuming you’re on Windows, go to [username]/AppData/Roaming/Blender Foundation/Blender and just delete the entire 2.80 folder. That folder also contains your startup file and user prefs, so unless you were manually resetting these every time you downloaded a new 2.8 build, those settings would’ve persisted across builds for you.

I have great news for you!

The select “tool” has different modes. By default its set to box select. Set it to just “Select” and you have grab’n’drag back! This was recently (I think the 22nd) implemented by Brecht based on people who missed the old behavior. I only noticed it today after it was pointed out to me.

Enjoy! :smiley:

PS
You can still use B for box select and C for paint select. After you “exit” those just like before you will go back to plain select.

1 Like

The foundry offer blender as a service in there cloud based platform similler to nimple collective. They are making money of blender and they will happily promot it.

Speaking of the Foundry their software now phone home and alert about cracked copies of their software. And they use that information to send legal letters to pirate and threaten them with legal action if they don’t pay damages not just the price of pirated software…

1 Like

Scrolled past an interesting statistic offered by one of the devs in a discussion elsewhere (dev forums). Apparently Blender users are split 50/50 (before the defaults change) between using left click for select and right click for select.

Assuming that even a small minority of people using right-click select did so because they didn’t know they could change or simply got used to it before finding out - this means that more people were CHOOSING left-click select than the other way around. With this in mind, it makes sense why they have gone with LMB-Select as default.

They also include an option for re-enabling the old “select/deselect all” toggle as well as the change to select/box select modes for enabling the old “tweak” mode.

1 Like

Thanks for answer, this works, anyway imho It has to be separated tool. Still not industry standard… and good reason for me to extend the accidental use for next 14 years (if you’re already around '2004 user). Anyway, thanks.

i saw the stats and was like damn “3900 posts 703983 views +3525”

I was following it for a while. there is another thread where blender is mentioned as a migration path out of Modo because of some of the foundry questionable behaviour.
a very angry customer on the Modo fourm complaining about it Foundry pirate hunters

2 Likes

wow, is it even legal to monitor people’s devices just to catch those who use pirated version and does the end user know about it?..never though to see this happen.

I think it is covered in the EULA under telemetry . And they can connect the dots if you have a valid license and another cracked copy of thir software they can figure out how you are from the valid license. Otherwise they track you through your IP and start sending you fishing emails if you respond you may confirm it to them … and since they ask for thousands of dollars in damages plus the price of software tracking people is probably profitable for them

1 Like

I once read a reply by a Foundry developer that they don’t recognize Blender as competitive (as in, they’re pretty confident it has no impact at all on their revenue or their user numbers).

Of course, that was 2.7x with the ancient viewport and the nonstandard ways of doing things :slight_smile:

I’m intrigued. Would you care to elaborate on this, are you talking about BA or RCS here?
If RCS (as I don’t go there and have no insight), can you link me to some examples?!

BA, but I’m not going to go in-depth on it. It’s a “hot subject” and will likely derail this thread even worse than it has been recently. I might be a little bitter about it, but I’m not interested in making this thread about the subject and/or getting flicked for it.

Sorry mate - it’s not worth it for either of us to dive down that rabbit hole here.

:beers:

I’ve been trying not to get tangled into this discussion for the past 6-8 years. Fairly successfully until this thread popped up.

But yeah, if it’s BA, I remember the debates going in here some 6-12 years ago. I used to partake, and I remember most of the protagonists, and what sides they were on and how hard they were rallying.

The RMB apologists won the battle then - they literally shut me up for good 6 years.
And yeah, I am still a bit bitter about it, that’s why my stomach turns when I hear of Right-Click Select — Blender.Community name (that is supposedly a joke, more like a racist/gay joke, that’s funny yes, but still racist/homophobic)

What’s ironic, all the arguments myself, you and others had back then are today being justified as the reasoning to make LMB Select default, by BI/BF non the less!

LMB select with integrated BoxSelect, Menus on top - whaaaaa? Click in empty to de-select…
Blender 2.8 is starting to look more and more like my custom setup I’ve had for the past 5 years.
Awesome! I obviously love it.
And Eevee … oh my!

I’m intrigued to see the effect of LMB default in the upcoming 2-4 years. If we were even remotely right - we’re gonna see blender explode on the CG scene, and eventually grow to unprecedented hight.

Blender FTW