Blender 2.8 viewport updates

Perhaps I’m being unimaginative here, but I can’t think of a scenario where I would want to enable wireframe mode and not be able to see through the mesh. Maybe someone could explain the logic to me.

Thanks for the shift+S tip. It’s an extra unnecessary step, but it’s better than having to open up the N panel every time I accidentally move the 3d cursor, which happens surprisingly often. Shift+C is one of the shortcuts that really should not have been removed.

They’re still hashing out the details on the wireframe thing.

You can pretty easily add the Shift+C hotkey back. View->Align View->Center Cursor and View All. Right click it and add a shortcut.

You’re right. To me it just seems like wrong choice of default settings. And if you ask me, a lot of 2.8 defaults are on the wrong side.

Nice to see wireframe mode back!

But the change between Wireframe and solid modes should also change X-Ray automatically.
Wireframe = X-Ray ON (with the alpha slider on 0)
Solid = X-Ray OFF

2 Likes

I can’t see what this wireframe mode adds to the mix. We can already toggle x-ray, with the possibility of tweaking the amount of transparency, as well as show wireframes, what’s missing ?

My guess is speed and convenience.
The wireframe mode is the main thing, while wireframe in other modes acts more like an additional overlay in case you want to see the wires on the solid/shaded model.
Switching to another mode is much easier than fiddling with these 3 options and than change them back.
Its 2 clicks vs 6.
Its also an “industry standard” to have an easy accessible pure wireframe mode available.

4 Likes

The bottom line is that a true wireframe mode is an absolute essential.

3 Likes

Me too. An entire mode just for wireframe looks insanely unnecessary to me.
Why not keep things simple like most softwares?

Because people were crying about not having it. Also I think it’s just a temporary solution until viewport presets are added.

Except that how most software does it, wareframe mod is essential, and simple means having it available in 1 button press.

Nah, it doesn’t matter if it’s one click or not, an entire mode just for this is overkill. This is just a different shading view.

It does when people constantly use it.

So eventually, the devs want to implement viewport overlay presets. That should fix all the issues people are having at the moment.

Ah, maybe it’s speed ! Maybe by ditching all the surface display and the other stuff it becomes faster. 1click vs 3clicks can’t be a reason if they add presets since everything and anything would be one click away. Or maybe like others said it’s for some users not to get lost in the transition. Probably a bit of both.

Wireframe is just one of those things that you need, and you need to get there fast, and that means one click or one shortcut. I can’t believe there’s even a debate about this.

It’s nice to marvel at all the shiny stuff you’ve created, but let us not forget the fundamentals in the process.

For instance just personally, at least in <=2.79, weight paint in anything other than wireframe is, for me at least, awful to look at.

1 Like

A check box in the shading menu is more than enough.

It needs a hotkey, putting it on the shading pie menu works well.

Nothing stops a checkbox to be hotkey-able.

And by the way, I hate pie menus. :v:

I don’t understand why you put so much energy into negating ideas.
I really hate that expression but in your case it fits:
If you don’t like it, don’t use it.
Why are you so stubborn and disrespect other users who think it is a good idea and want to overrule their opinion?
It was planned from the beginning, it is industry standard, some users want it, the devs want it…
It’s not something which brings you any form of inconvenience, WHY THE RESISTANCE?

Great! I don’t care the slightest. Do what you want. You’re not my role-model, so please don’t make yourself the standard we all have to put up with.

Pie menus are incredibly useful for both expanding hotkeys available, and grouping similar functions together.

Wireframe mode should remain a mode, it’s important enough and useful enough, and is used often enough that it warrants it. Being its own shading mode, rather than just a ‘set transparency to 0 and add an overlay’ from some the other shading mode also allows for it to be further optimised on its own - meaning it stays one of the fastest modes to view things in.

Just because you can force the solid view to display things as a wireframe doesn’t mean thats the best way to do it.