Blender 2.8 viewport updates

It could potentially be a good thing if done right (ie. finding a balance between being too loose and being too fine-grained).

In the opposite case, if you’re in face select mode and you have faces selected, does it make any sense at all for the menu to contain the make edge/face operator (in which would give you a bad result when invoked)?

The same thing can be done for operator settings as well, if you have pairs of face islands selected and they all face each other, the bridge tool should default to “loop pairs” rather than the one that makes zero-area and overlapping faces.

I already have enough with new ordering in properties editor. If this gets worse, Blender should come with a warning message about that intensive use could cause epileptic seizures.

1 Like

Well you might want that option because
1: It informs the user of the F shortcut.
2: It merges faces, which is entirely valid.

The loop pairs is a sticky issue.
I can see how that might be nice, but remember computers are terrible at anticipating what you really mean, detecting that contextually would probably be quite complicated aswell. Right now it seems remembers your last use. Detecting things like that automaticall is nice… when it works. But when it doesn’t, it’s much more infuriating.

I suppose in the end for me it just means I’m going to be using W a lot less, and ctrl+E/F/V a lot more.

As an aside I just now, having tested random things in the viewport for this post realised all my methods of navigating the viewport are gone. :frowning:
damn I used fly mode a lot. and center view to 3d cursor…

There are a lot of operators which are not in the right-click menu (using the LMB workflow) and several even have to be accessed via the search window). By this logic we should stuff all of the possible editmode operators into one exhaustively long and heavily nested menu.

I’m just saying the ‘F’ shortcut is useless if your selection is already made up of faces (because the purpose is to create edges or faces and doing it on faces will either do nothing or create bad geometry).

But it merges faces, it essentially performs a dissolve faces command. That’s useful.

I always access the dissolve operation through the X-key menu, does the ‘F’ key here do a genuine dissolve where there’s no geometry overlaps or clipping?

1 Like

you are wrong,
because in a contextual concept, a function is not there because it is not applicable in a given condition, but it will always be in that same menu when it is really necessary.
Your muscle memory must always remember only a shortcurt and the list being leaner you can visually intercept the function you need first.
it’s the zen method,
You will have the tools you need only when you really need and can apply them …
you will always find them magically based on the work area you are in. it’s like having a little invisible servant who always predict which possible tool set you’ll need;
if it is not available, it means that in that context it is not applicable, you are in the wrong working area

I can’t press W → Shade Smooth unless I’m in face mode. I can easily want to do this in any mode.
I can’t press W → Merge… Unless in Vertex mode. I can easily want to do this in any mode.
Same for W → Remove Doubles.
There are more aswell.

Snap, Mirror, Symmetrise, Snap to Symmetry are all always different distances away from the cursor in the different modes.

Sure, the list is easier to parse, but now you have to parse it every time, or memorise 3 essentially seperate menus and remember which mode you’re in before trying to do something along with if you’re not in the right mode, change mode. Then if the W menu gets more contextual options, based on factors other than what selection mode you’re in, it will only get worse.

Before, I spent 90% of my time in vertex select mode. Now I either have to switch between modes more often, or abandon the W menu altogether and use ctrl+V/F/E every time.

The selection modes don’t really reflect what you’re working on, You don’t necessarily use Face select mode to work on faces, you work on verts, edges and faces all simultaneously, Mainly switching to face select when you want to select two faces, but not the one in-between. So basing the context off of which mode you’re in is useless. Most of these contexts will be useless.

It seems to work fine? It’s never produced an unexpected result. Is there a particular scenario you think it wouldn’t work in?

2 Likes

nah in this case i’d prefer to have a full list of tools instead of constantly disappearing/reappearing stuff. with this new ui i feel robbed.

do not shuffle the cards :slight_smile:
the tools will not be viewable only and only when they can not be applied because they do not give results or create errors.

The operations I mentioned give perfectly sound results in modes other than face select. Infact most operations do, because vertex select inherently lists a bunch of faces that it has selected and any face-oriented operators run on that list.

So if they intend to only display menu items that would function were you to press them, that would be about 90% of the list most likely. Hardly a context menu. At that point, just give us what we had before, a menu with a bunch of useful tool/operations based on which object interaction mode we’re in. Because that’s actually a context change.

i think what you want would be called “Display Bounding Box Measurements”

Since i work with 3d printing, i’d also love a standard option to “set origin to the center of (+Z/-Z/+X/-X/+Y/-Y) bounding box face” or maybe a sub menu like

- Set origin to Bounding box side
–Front (Y)
–Back (Y)
–Left (X)
–Right (X)
–Up (Z)
–Down (Z)

with the necessary corrections based on the axis letter chosen in the options).

You see, 3d scans normally have a lot of uneven faces, so even to start positioning it for some cuts and small edits, putting it at the exact position you want in the viewport (everything above Z0 and centralised in the X and Y axis) can be less easy than it should.

yes its bounding box scale.

Sounds logic to me to have the choice to snap the origin to boundingbox x,y,z and negative plus face center And vertex center ok forgot edge center and everything between. for printing 2D 3D 16D

Ah forgot snap to smooth shading open gl compositing.

One other thing ai superviesed melt and hardening comlex dark matter to soft shadow big brother watching you technologie.

15 crashes in 20 min.

Close but not the same thing: scale is a multiplier, measurement is base size at scale 1.0 * scale.

:man_student: ok dimensions.

A heads up, Clement has just done a bit of work regarding batch drawing and polygon offsets.

Among the benefits is a major reduction in VRAM usage and somewhat faster drawing.

In addition, I am noticing in one of my 2.8 scenes that the commits also eliminate the massive Z-fighting that made modes like vertex paint very difficult to use (as you can now see the color values clearly like in 2.7x). Those on Win64 can grab a buildbot build with the improvements right now.

3 Likes

Great to hear that performance is being worked on. General viewport performance doesn’t seem bad at all right now (in my simple scenes), but I really hope the opensubdiv performance can be fixed soon.

A relief to hear the z-fighting problems might have been fixed too!

On a side note, I was just working on a character model, and before sending it to a friend to 3d print, I checked the obj exported by 2.80 was OK in 2.79… Oh my god the new viewport is so much better. Even just in workbench it looks insanely better with cavity turned on and half decent matcaps. Thanks Blender devs!

1 Like

Edge length display scales when you enable “global coordinates” in the side-bar.

Ok thanks. But we were talking about the measure tool there. When you scale the object the ruler doesn’t follow.

@William @ideasman42

Complex meshes like trees are unreadable even when minimun thickness is set. (outline width = 1)
Also it seems like a bug that level 1 is identical to level 2.

Please, would be possible to get level = 1 being REALLY thin? 1px or so. I don’t get all this line “boldness” in 2.80 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Examples:

UNSELECTED FOLIAGE (OK)

SELECTED FOLIAGE (UNREADABLE AND MESSY)

FYI - NO STRANGE SETTINGS (100% UI, THIN LINES)

LEVEL 1 OUTLINE WIDTH (EXTREMELY THICK IMHO)

LEVEL 2 OUTLINE WIDTH (SAME AS LEVEL 1, NO DIFFERENCE)

LEVEL 3, SUPER THICK, JUST AN EXAMPLE…

tl;dr
Please can we get outline width = 1, really thin? Similar to Blender 2.79 i mean.
Thanks

3 Likes