Blender Artists Challenge: ‘My Desk’

Update: for the winners, click here!

We’ve been thinking about running our own ‘official’ Blender Artists challenges for a while, but never found the time to actually do it. Now, with the help of @abby_crawford, who also produces the ‘Behind the Scenes’ series on BlenderNation, we finally managed to set up our first one.

We’d like to make this a regular event and will invite sponsors to contribute some prizes each time (interested? Send me a private message!). For our first round, I cheated a bit: since I work for Sketchfab I’m able to provide some Plus plans that will let you upload 10 models a month of up to 100MB each.

So here we go—I hope you’ll enjoy this extra challenge, and have fun using Sketchfab in the process!

Challenge Description

This week/month, we challenge you to create a scene depicting your desk—what it is, or what you wish it were. Upload it to Sketchfab and tag it #BADeskChallenge.

Rules:

• Use Blender to model your desk as it is, or as you imagine it could be.
  • Submit only work uploaded during the contest period, but feel free to submit multiple entries.
  • Once you’ve created your entry, upload it to Sketchfab and tag it #BADeskChallenge.
  • Embed your entry in the Blenderartists challenge thread below (just paste the URL).
  • Submission deadline is April 24 (23:59 Amsterdam time, CEST)

Judges:

• The entries will be judged by the Blenderartists team and all Trust Level 3 members (those who can access the Lounge forum).

Prizes:

• 1st Place: 12 months of Sketchfab Plus ($108 USD value)
  • 2nd Place: 6 months of Sketchfab Plus ($54 USD value)
  • 3rd Place: 3 months of Sketchfab Plus ($27 USD value)

Tip: Exporting and Importing with the Sketchfab Blender Add-on

The Sketchfab add-on for Blender makes publishing your work to Sketchfab super easy. It also lets you browse over 400,000 freely available Creative Commons models and place them directly into your scene. You can download the add-on from GitHub; documentation is available here.

Terms and Conditions:

• No purchase necessary.
  • By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
  • This is a contest for individuals, no teams.
  • No alternative prizes available.
  • All entries must be original works.
  • The judges’ decision are final–in case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
    Contestant’s’ models must be uploaded to Sketchfab and tagged #BADeskChallenge and the model’s URL must be pasted into the Blender Artists challenge thread to be considered.
  • Winners retain all Intellectual Property.
  • The winner will be contacted by Tuesday, April 28, 2020.
17 Likes

Share your progress, ask for feedback, and find inspiration! lets engage in another thread with far less restrictions and inspire everyone to participate!

That way we also keep this thread clean.

2 Likes

can we use downloaded assets, like sketchfab ones in this challenge?!

I joined community in right time I have 3 days to create my desk :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hello!! Here is my room. I hope you guys like it!! Please Enjoy. And this is my first entry for a challenge.

8 Likes

Lol me too!!!

2 Likes

finally I done my moodboard its modeling time… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have a question…
Is it necessary to create a whole room? what if I am working in the office and I have no desk in my room and I am using my laptop on the floor :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just your desk is fine! If your floor is your desk, go for it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you for your response

1 Like

I have modeled my room with cycles, but I’m new on sketchfab and can’t create nice view on it :frowning:
I’m noob…need help with sketchfab
Maybe anyone have a tutorial for sketchfab?
render with cycles

but on skechfab it look like a simple box with door :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m still quite new to Blender (the timeline was also quite tight for my schedule), but I managed to put together something very small. I was able to learn quite a bit about collection instancing and armatures, so, overall, I’m quite pleased with how this came out (even though I lack doors, reasonable materials, and 95% of what’s actually in my office). The Cat painting is real though!

I can’t wait for the next challenge!

1 Like

Everyone here: please remember you need to upload your entry to Sketchfab to participate!

1 Like

Here’s my entry, a modern desk concept :

5 Likes

Hi, This is my dream desk.

4 Likes

Here is my entry into this challenge, titled Sci-fi Room:

8 Likes

This is what i have so far i made it in 3 days so it’s not much (I did all the tricks i know to make the file small enough for sketchfab and went from 200mb to 98mb and it is still too large and i dont know what to do) Log in to your Sketchfab account - Sketchfab

(my link is ready but the site can’t process my model and I can’t fix it) :frowning:

1 Like

How are the textures going?
I had to convert many of the textures to lower file sizes for my scene. What is the case for mine is that I was using textures which were around 1 MB (for 1k resolution) which added up pretty quickly when you include not just the diffuse, but also colour, roughness, etc. into it. I ended up looking at the sizes of all the textures and made smaller versions of the ones that were the most impactful on the file size, which was mostly normal maps (saved as .tif). I saved them to .png and .jpeg to get the size much smaller. Additionally, for textures that would never be seen up close, I used lower resolution versions to match the detail of everything else around it.

MyDesk by Raja The Great on Sketchfab

I don’t know how to get materials of BLENDER into SKETCHFAB, but still here is the model

1 Like