BlenRig 6 Release

You can experiment with automatic weights, but I’ve always found you have to go back and adjust the weighting anyway so it doesn’t save me any time. If you’re making a secondary or tertiary character who won’t be on screen for long, then automatic weights might be fine. But for hero assets you’re better off taking the time to manually paint the weights yourself :confused:

I’m working on a new version of BlenRig, hopefully it will be ready in the next month or so. The idea is to include base meshes that are already weight painted, so that you can just transfer the weights to your new characters :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you guys are interested I might also share it here for beta testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow this is awesome news!

Hi all! Seems that BlenRig is harder than I thought :slight_smile: I’m stuck with the problem again. I ended repropotioning the rig and tweaked toon controllers to improve mdef cage, also i baked mesh and proxy. Then I tabbed to edit mode, and backed to pose mode and this happened. All meshes and bones scaling up differently and without possibility to turn it back. When I try to undo this and then bake armature again, the problem still exists.

Cómo va Andy!

Sorry for the delay. What I mean with that is what you can see in the Spring character:

You can download that from the Blender cloud, but as you see, I just duplicated the original cage, I cut the legs, head and hands in this case, and then I just tweaked the model so that it wrapped the skirt. Then I just checked that the weight painting was ok for the new vertices.
The only thing that you have to keep in mind with mesh deform is that there shouldn’t be any holes on the mesh deform cage. Therefore, in this skirt cage that I did, you can see I have like geometry that goes inwards, but then I closed all the holes. The good thing is that you don’t have to care about topology with the cage, just cover the holes with tris.

1 Like

Hi Bardysya!

So let’s check, did you first bake the cage and the proxy? Then you baked the rig?

When you bake the geometry, you should have seen that everything kind of breaks. Then when you bake the rig, the meshes go back to normal.

Another question, when you enter edit mode, do you notice any change on the rig? Cause the rig should look the same in pose mode and edit mode if you baked it.

Yes, first i baked the cage and proxy, they deformed alot. Then I baked the rig itself and cage with proxy became normal. Also i checked, there are no changes in on rig when entering edit mode.

Can you link your .blend file? I’m a little confused when you said you “tweaked toon controllers to improve mdef cage.” The toon controllers move lattices, not the mdef cage.

No, it’s ok, toon contrllers allow you to change the width of some bones too.

But @Bardysya I don’t know how the armature should look like, from what you say, you did everything correctly, so I don’t know what it is that you expect.

Anyway, if there’s anything wrong, you can always go back to reproportion mode, tweak things and re-bake just the armature.

It’s weird though, what you describe never happened to me.

Here it is https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E8ImO850ge_N4Oasieaq_nLHjKVfU8jj. As I saw in tutorial, he scaled toon controllers, and mdef cage scaled too. Maybe I’m wrong, not sure. This mesh, proxy and armature are ready for baking. If you need, i can send you baked version too.

@Bardysya!!!

Lol, ok I know what it is, you were keyframing what you did in reproportion!

Therefore, once you baked the rig, you still had an action that was scaling and moving everything.

Just get rid of the action before baking, or bake and then get rid of the action and reset all the transforms for all the bones. That should do it :smiley:

Normally you don’t need to keyframe what you do in reproportion. If you wanna have a backup, just save a backup file before you bake.

Thank you! I didn’t notice that moment. Probably pressed wrong key, when I was editing the rig lol.

Hi again! I again have a question :smiley: I have clothes of my model separately, and do I need to group them so the mdef cage will deform them? Or I simply put additional mesh deform modifiers?

Whatever you prefer. Usually for working with the cage, doing the binding process and tweaking stuff, it would be easier that the models are grouped into one object. That way you just need to bind one object. The binding process can take long some times. But it’s up to you, whatever you prefer.

Remember to first bind at level 5 to check that the mesh deform is deforming all the vertices. Then you can bind at level 7 and go checking deformation.

Also, when working with cloth, if you’re not gonna do cloth sim, some times it’s better to just delete all the faces that are not going to be seen from the body of the character. That way you will prevent things from clipping through the cloth. You can delete the faces or use a mask modifier.

Aand hello again! I think it’s the last question I have, cuz rigging is almost done. I have hair mesh, that has particles on it to emulate hair, but when I’m trying to move my character the hair particles don’t move, although the mesh itself moves with the head movement. Do I need to make additional constraints or there is another way gluing these hair particles?

Particle modifiers should be at the bottom of the list, maybe that’s the problem

Hello again! I’m sorry for my may be stupid question, but my model doesn’t follow the path I made. Actually, the rig it moving itself, but model stays on place. I’m not sure, whether it is blenrig’s problem, but on a simple 3-bone model it worked fine. Can you advise what todo? Thank you in advance!
P.S. Model is made of lesser ungrouped parts.

@Bardysya I suspect you added the path to the rig object? You should always work inside pose mode, so any path should be added to control bones like master_torso o master.

Hi, @jpbouza!
I am working with a character and when moving the hand_ik_ctrl_L controller it does not move. Nothing is blocked and I have checked chapter 4 several times.

Thanks for your help and for this addon!

[image]