CAD In Blender Is HERE! | CAD Sketcher Intro | Constraint Driven Design

EDIT: I did not make this and am only sharing it to spread the word.
Here is the official post: Geometry Sketcher constraint solver

#

This looks very promising!
“In a nutshell: A constraint-based sketcher addon created by hlorus for Blender that allows you to create precise 2d shapes by defining CAD geometric constraints like tangents, dimntions, angles, equal and more. These Sketches are then converted into beziers or mesh which still stay editable through a fully non-destructive workflow i.e, Geometry nodes and modifiers.”

18 Likes

An excellent addon for CAD users.

It look very nice. FreeCAD Sketcher is super powerful, it would be a great addition to Blender.

Is nice I to see more developer anyway the original script is reported also here.

Hello,
When i try to download the dependency “py-slvs 1.0.4” for CAD Sketcher from https://pypi.org/project/py-slvs/#files
I can only see macos related files there.
There are no windows related files in there.
Am I missing something?
Please let me know where to download py-slvs for windows.

Edit:
Solution in here Geometry Sketcher constraint solver - #16 by mixergrinder

1 Like

Nice addon!

1 Like

Hello.
See https://github.com/hlorus/CAD_Sketcher

I installed it but can’t find it.

1 Like

I gave it a try, and it’s definitely an interesting start.

One thing I found difficult was selecting lines. The target area is so small that I had to get my mouse almost precisely over a pixel width to make a selection.

The documentation is also a good start, but needs to be expanded. I figured out from the tooltips how to add an arc, but couldn’t work out how to give it a face.

To compare, I then rebuilt everything using mesh primitives and vertex extrusion, and of course it was much faster.

So I’m wondering what the use case for this is. Does it make safer or smarter choices where to put support cuts and loops? Maybe the ability to edit shapes, lines, and points from fields?

In any case, I did enjoy testing it out. Looking forward to how this develops!

1 Like

Ya this is a bit of a pain but soon a roadmap will be out and this whole selection thing is on it for sure. In the time being if you are on a mac you can finally scale up the lines from today’s update: CAD Sketcher Gumroad

2 Likes

@hlorus thx for great job!
Also hope for some solutions like here:

1 Like

Gave it a try and selecting points and lines is MUCH easier now, even without adjusting the prefs! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

From the video; if I understand it correctly you can use information from modifiers without actually having to apply them first ( add a workplane and use that for a new sketch/model ).

If that’s indeed the case, that would make it pretty powerfull.

1 Like

170K video views in a week. Sounds like there is some interest in CAD in Blender :grinning:

It’s nice to have that option of working artistically / by eye or being able to go more CAD-like when you want.

2 Likes

What are the plans for advanced snapping: Grid snapping, midpoint, endpoint?

Hi. Where can I change the line thickness on a mac? In preferences the “entity” size is changing other objects size but not a lines.