Cancel culture on Blender guru, poor Andrew price!

And what pray tell is the purpose of publishing such a fine selection of his own words and said most helpful list? Why, it is to ban, shame, deplatform, defame and cause financial and psychological harm.

The concept of forgiving and forgetting is also quite old but it seems you’ve forgotten that one. Especially here where he really doesn’t have much to be held accountable for.

4 Likes

I’m not so sure. She seems to be targeting his tweets and (in some cases at least) intentionally misinterpreting or drawing questionable conclusions regarding his motives.

A couple of examples:

On one tweet, she accuses him of gaslighting and of being a misogynist because he pointed out that discussions around male/female privilege depend on context and circumstances and that there are areas where men are clearly disadvantaged (like in war casualties, homeless figures, suicide figures or on trial or undergoing a child custody battle). These are demonstrable facts - so how can it be gaslighting or misogynistic to mention them?

In another tweet Andrew links to an article where a content creator has apologised for not employing writers of the same ethnicity as the characters they are writing - and suggests that this a slippery slope that could affect artists too in the near future. Again, is that so controversial, especially given the article he cited - it’s not like he just made a remake off the cuff. Devon however interprets this as Andrew ‘objecting to people of color telling their own stories.’, when in fact, his comment is somewhat the opposite of this (i.e. he is not commenting about or objecting to Vietnamese people writing about Vietnamese characters - but rather he’s commenting about the fact that it’s seemingly now considered unacceptable for non-Vietnamese people to write about Vietnamese characters).

It’s possible he has said other more controversial things in other tweets, but from these two examples, I think Devon is clearly over reaching.

3 Likes

Are you sure that is indeed all she’s done? She didn’t, by any chance, tack on some buzz words like “sexism, homophobia, misogyny” onto those tweets? They must’ve written themselves, I guess.

Get real. What she’s doing is a laughable attempt at petty online shaming. Based literally on nothing but frivolous interpretation of out-of-context quotes. It’s infantile.

8 Likes

Cancel culture often sounds furiously like a search for revenge and shame against someone just because one doesn’t agree with another and can’t find any fair argument or let pass. When I see “cancel culture”, I wonder if some people are still able to forgive, if they are still able to give a second chance and sometimes, they just look as someone who takes everything firsthand without any kind of second degree.
Now people take offense for nothing. I regret my chlidhood, people were still able of self-mockery. Cancel culture doesn’t protect anything or anyone, it’s just a new kind of violence, a new way to build walls.

6 Likes

Maybe she should target the big yellow baby,with his over 22000 lies.

…ohh wait his account is allready closed

bt.its a joke what happens to Andrew,its nothing.

Ew, that’s bad. Let’s hope he sees this as an opportunity to improve.

Improve he may, but I just hope he doesn’t take the bait and engage with this woman in any way, shape or form. To these vultures, apologizing just makes you look weak and ripe for pecking to death.

2 Likes

Cance culture sounds like just another word for “vote with your wallet”.

Yeah that is somewhat my feeling too. It seems that there is a problem made were no real problem exists when compare to the serious issues we are currently facing.

@JalexM thought I was attacking her. I simply read the twitter posts trying to understand what was going on and also checked out her own blog.

It is hard not to ignore the feeling of her having a personal beef with him and his success considering her own professional track-record and professional development.

I could also be fully wrong.

But one thing to me stands out: out of nowhere there is now a controversy about Andrew and his language. And some of those videos are pretty old too.

Granted I did not follow over the past years the videos so I could also be out of date myself.

I just cannot escape the feeling that this is all blown out of proportion.

1 Like

No, voting with your wallet is where if you don’t like something, you shrug and go elsewhere. I support voting with your wallet.

This is not that. This is spending an afternoon digging up dirt on someone to publish it for shits and giggles.

2 Likes

I don’t think that is correct. The dirt digging does not appear to be for “shits and giggles”.
There is nothing wrong with dirt digging as long as the dirt is real.

1 Like

But is this real here?

I agree I question the usefulness of talking about derogatory words in a Blender tutorial.
It seems misplaced and potentially explosive based on who hears it.

But does this count as proof of being homophobic or isn’t that more just a sign of our unrefined language we often use as humans?

4 Likes

Cancel culure in its applications furiously looks like lynching people. The purpose of cancel culture is assumed as kill “bad” people socially. It is not at all vote with your wallet.

Judging is for sworn judges. Lynching is the worst betrayal of democracy and civilization.

Democracy and civilization is to talk with people, it is to give second chance, it is to forgive, it is to consider the possiblity of a missunderstanding. Leaving Manichean glasses, taking a step back, taking some distance with ourseves, it was the advice of the Wises, it seems to be totally forgotten.

8 Likes

No idea if it is real here. Some or all could be out of context even though I find it difficult to imagine a good context for some of the posts.

Anyway, I am more interested in why some people thing that “cancel culture” is bad by definition.

But is what is going on here truly cancel culture or just one person ranting and everybody of us feeling attracted to this like flies to a fruit?

I assume it stems from the inferiority of our own being.

One has to ask why do we even have cancel culture?
Society goes through a lot of chance recently again - people don’t like change.
Some push for change too much others seek comfort in upholding old mythical ideas.

Personally I feel the term cancel culture rather describes the extreme parts and cancel culture is used on each side while the right likes to see itself as the victim.

Particularly in the USA with the overlooked social and cultural issues the war right now is pretty hefty.

There is a lot that needs adjustment but some people don’t like to accept it.

If fixed then what could they complain about ?

No it doesn’t look like lynching. It looks like boycotting and trying to get others to boycot as well. Equivalating this to lynching is absurd.

Democracy has nothing to do with this kind of boycot. This is the consumer deciding if they want to buy something from someone.

If I decide not to buy from Nestle because I dislike their business practices and tell other people about their negative business practices I am not lynching anybody.

3 Likes

If Andrew had truly done something despicable like Nestle (or whichever other corporation), I’d be right there with you. But no. He had thoughts. And the bad judgement to voice them.

And we can’t very well let people have their own thoughts, now can we?

3 Likes

That’s why I feel this is fully blown out of proportion.

She was calling him out for his, as you say “bad judgment”
So the thread title is a bit misleading. I don’t see any cancel culture really.

1 Like