Carcassonne Medieval city

Removed my post as it might be considered as advertising.

Hi all :slight_smile:

I’m back again after some few months of standby on the project…

Vegetation random painter has been designed in unity and now it’s time for ruining the whole city.
I take each wall, and each tower, create a copy of it, ruin it in blender and reintegrates it in unity.

Here’s a quick timelapse for one small tower located in the west side of the city…

More to come !

Happy blending !

1 Like

My poor city totally ruined… :sob:

( seen from unity3D, i did not reintegrate all elements in a .blend yet )

Now it’s time to take 1850-1860 photos and remake it as it was in these times :slight_smile:
Lots of hours of modeling ( and texture creation, and occlusion/dirt calculations and… ) in sight

Event the ground map has to be reworked :sweat_smile:

See you soon and happy blending !

4 Likes

I even can’t itemize/enumrate all the ideas, encouragement, excitation, admiration i got from this thread. :star_struck:
Happy blending.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Okidoki :smiley:

I wish you try the application you can get for free on my website and give me some feedback :wink:

Happy blending !

Ups how could i miss that??? My system i3 8GB debian linux only internal graphics for a quick test… it works :star_struck: … so just q quick first impression:
Maybe it would be easier for people to make the language changer directly available as the first menu and i think it is a bit confusing (for most people) that the options menu is a total different UI… also you have to choose again at the buttom an exit at the top with a check ?? i would suggest it on the right and some text (like: Set options :white_check_mark: or mayeb even something else back to Main menu or directly back to simulation).

Also on my system (okay a bit weak maybe) the engine draws a pink texture as the level and some lamps first and after on two second the screen is filled…
Additional i had to chmod u+x ./carcassonne.x86_64… so maybe some hints to do this (i don’t know if the RAR format can handle this or how Unity should handle thsi correctly?).

Maybe this quick feedback can give you some hints to make this more popular…

1 Like

Oh this is nice of you you tested the app :smiley:

Thanks a big bunch @Okidoki !

For the language choice, yes you are totally right ! And your idea is good: 1st run = language choice.
It’s so damn simple that i didn’t even think about it :smiley:
Furthermore, maybe i could detect the system language and change it in the app automatically^^
I have to dig this in unity.

I know the chmod problem. As i compile under windows7, the RWX flags are not set. I have to enhance the linux version ( maybe an installer, instead of a rar file, should do the thing ^^) but i confess you’re the 1st nux user to test the app :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m really interrested in those pink objects you got in the scene. They mean the material i use do not work on your GPU. This may be due to many causes and i’d really like to dig on this as the whole app is designed to run on samsung J5 ( low-end ) smartphones.
Could you please post here a screenshot of those pink thinks ? This will direct me to the culprit shaders and make changes so that your internal GPU works^^

Thanks again for you time ! I hope you like the walk at night and day in the whole medieval city ! :smiley:
In some time you will be able to visit it in 1850 :wink:

Happy blending !

Okay it might not be a good idea to abuse BlenderArtists for development images and video so i send you a link here are my specs for comparison i3-3220, 3.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Linux Debian 9 (so it’s also older)…

Some few days of big rework on many things in the project including blender:

• files positions and names
  • preparing for new materials
  • rework of the time-teleport system in unity
  • reunion of all my separated blend files to one unique, named complete_city for 1850 and 2010

this sounds like a big spring tidy-up :smiley:
But it’s important for me for having a fluent workflow for many new things…

As a peek, here’s the whole city of 1850 in one blend:

All objects have to be reedited one by one to show them ruined as they were in 1850 ( from the numerous photos i have )

I’ll also rework the ground ( the one with dirt and cobbles for witch i posted a question here: What approach would you have for modeling this cobbled path? ) as it will have some mesh edge blending through textures.

See you soon for news !

Happy blending !

1 Like

some small news:

sand and cobble paths and sand <—> cobble transition are done, all in blender ( indeed B3.2 is a really good version and i definetely switched to it, with the windows 7 rebuild ).

Here’s the result in unity:

Now i can go back and add all the houses settled in the killing fields in 1850 :slight_smile:

happy blending !

3 Likes

Hi all !!!

Back there with some news about reinventing the wheel ( i guess i still did not understant how it turns :stuck_out_tongue: )

After the path baking ( i’ll have a big work and some selectable texture parts beeing processed with script at import ) i’m kinda reworking my workflow for the city in 1850.

Lights will be almost abscent at night and i’m currently digging ( as i bake all dirt, AO and dirt texture painting in a UV2 texture ) in a procedural method for applying dirt on buildings.

The bevel node is of VERY BIG help ( when the pointiness value is totally useless, and i dont understand why… )

I could say i’m playing with many things. And here’s where i’m:

Not yet satisfied and i confess i’d like to have some people play with all this and gimme clues^^
If needed i can upload a blend for those mighty ( and as crazy as welcome :stuck_out_tongue: ) who could improve the method :slight_smile:

Happy blending ! :smiley:

1 Like

Making old aged planks for stuffing the scene with some garbage…

Happy blending !

2 Likes

I do something similar for my university! I create VR environments to supplement our professors’ curricula. This is really well executed, especially the surrounding area, which is something I always struggle with.

1 Like

This sounds nice :smiley:

If you made a topic i’ll give it an eye ! What do you call the ‘surrounding area’ ?

I’ll have to ask permission, but if I get it I’ll definitely do that!

Really just anything that isn’t a primary building. Secondary buildings, foliage, structures, walls, etc. Plus the satellite image landscape surrounding the whole area and the skybox. I tend to walk away from scenes feeling like they lack immersion.

I know few things about blender according to the whole scene as i integrate everything in unity3D and i only use blender as a modeler.
However, the surrounding world is a top view from gogl maps or geoportail and the horizon impostors are made from google earth with a script capturing 8 horizon views from a point of view.

If you intend to do realtime rendering ( like a first person thing ) i’d say blender is far from mature for having a fluent, reliable and comfortable workflow. Nevertheless it is a must-have tool for modeling.

As a last word, all depends on what you want to do.
If still render, blender is perfect.
If open-world and 1st person visit, you got to deal with a real 3D engine and make compromizes with vegetation and all lil things making a scene as realistic as you target platform allows you to :slight_smile:

Luckily, there’s a webXR platform call Mozilla Hubs that does what would be the game engine side of things for us.

Ill look into those methods with Google Earth and maps!

1 Like

now playing around with old photos positionned with fspy.

I’m trying to recreate wall broken top with annotations ( that will be transformed to grease then to mesh for a knife cut after limited dissolve :wink: )

WIP after positionning and scale:

Happy blending !

3 Likes

now that the wall is done ( mostly for trying modeling things in blender than for the wall itself ) i’m playing with the Moureti tower :slight_smile:

It hosts a circular staircase ( that we don’t see here ) and i have to say that if i sometimes grumble after blender lacks, making a curved staircase is as simple as breathing !
Moreover, making ‘encorbellement’ in french: corbel in english, is damn simple with the action recorder addon !
Here’s a quick clay render :slight_smile:

here you can see the curved staircase with the sharp-edges :slight_smile:

Now that i start modeling the ruined city, i notice that things will be much more complex as the visitor can go anywhere. No more closed doors nor bars. This means i have to model all towers and walls with all inside rooms ( in a ruined manner… :cold_face: ) It’s much more work but it’s indeed much more interresting for the visitor :wink:

At last but not least, this modeling constraint will raise triangle count in the whole scene. wich means i’ll have to setup LODS for at least 3 levels…

Hope you like it :slight_smile:
Happy blending !

6 Likes

Back there after some few months. I had to go to Carcassonne grab lots of infos, photos and historical documentation, and also spent long time at learning many new things inblender ( geonodes in animations, fire simulation, physics, etc… ) so that i can realize a first short ( sorry as it is in french :confused: ) of the Saint-Louis barbican.
Absolutely all is done in blender ! No other tool for postpro or change of any kind has been done^^

This video will be integrated in the Carcassonne 3D U3D application and viewable through the internal video player.
Here it is on YT:

Hope you like it ! :smiley:

Happy blending !

4 Likes