Carcassonne Medieval city

Nicely done! I’ve always liked Carcassone when I’ve looked at old fortresses, and it’s really interesting to learn more about it.

1 Like

glad you like it @piranha4D :slight_smile:
you can also get the app on my website and freely visit the whole city if you feel like it :wink:

happy blending !

1 Like

Hi all :slight_smile:

After video creation, i had to rework lots of things for making it viewable in the application.
Now app handles internet connection/disconnection and audio and video media :slight_smile:

For this i made an update that you can download on my website at www.kleioscope.fr for win, lin and droid. Note that unity don’t handle MP4 videos on linux. I’ll have to setup a WEBM version of all my videos.

Now it is time to get back to modeling the 1850 ruined medieval and ( as i already did some things about this on blender ) show you a short video preview of what will be the ‘jump-in-the-past’ sequence in the application…

Next posts will be about the 1850 city modeling in blender 3.2 :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

2 Likes

Hi all !

One ‘quickie’: the rabbit hutch.

There will be lots of those in the 1850 medieval city as people used those to obtain the minimum meat needed for life. There are also chickens, goats and pigs…
more to come soon.

Now i have to find rigged and animated rabbits :wink:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

And a quick render of the houses between the 2 citywalls…

It is more beautifull in unity as unity has no problem with alpha that gives headaches to cycles ( the alpha of the cornerstones show shadows that SHOULD NOT be there… :rofl: )

There are tens ( better say hundreds ) of those houses that were built between the citywalls before 1850.
Here’s a lil pic that will give you an idea of their presence ( and also of what i will have to model :wink: )

happy blending ! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi all :smiley:

After some long time i’m here with some news and modeling back to activity.
I had to sort and organize almost 27000 photos like this:

And i also wrote a small python helper for material selection and A0+DIRT baking:

I believe this script will grow from time to time with new functionnalities in the future :wink:

Now i got all elements to have more fun with modeling and baking, i can work on it full time…
Here’s a global view of the current WIP:

and the detail for each part :slight_smile:
The Moreti tower:

The wall between Moreti tower and Notre-Dame barbican:

The Notre-Dame barbican:

A small part of the houses in-between the citywalls:

The Samson tower:

The wall between Samson tower and Marquière Tower. This wall is also called the Rodez city-gate:

Hope you like it :smiley:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

It looks fantastic!

1 Like

Almost every update is again: amazing

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @piranha4D and @Okidoki :smiley:

I’m glad you like it :smiley:

Have a nice evening and happy blending :slight_smile:

1 Like

The latest piece of ruin: The Marquière tower:

This tower will have its 2 more LODS levels.

Next piece is a wall. I think i will introduce the first timber structure in the scene :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

2 Likes

Next piece is a simple wall:

This one lays between the Marquière tower and the Vieulas tower.
Inner wall-belt, north of the medieval city :slight_smile:

This wall will have 2 LODS…

Happy blending !

5 Likes

Hi there :smiley:

as a break, i wanted to tweak some textures… doors, gates, mossy roofs…
And that is the point…
As my mossy roofs are all procedural and since now one week i’m strugling on making those procedural images, seamless.
I think i did 300 bakes…
All failed as they all show seams… :face_with_thermometer:
It appears that cycles bakes are not made for creating seamless textures.

So i gave up and instead of baking the image and its borders, i baked the whole image without border and created a script for doing what i use to do in GIMP.

left border on right, right border on left, tob border on bottom, bottom border on top, etc…
And i have to say this is the way :stuck_out_tongue:

It works !

I won’t show here the fails as i’d burst the 5MB limit of the forum, but here’s the result of the ‘seamlessified’ image :slight_smile:

The seam center in in the red circle. Center of 4 identical planes.
This works great !!!

Hope you like it !

I’ll be back soon with new seamless rooftiles :smiley:

Happy blending !

2 Likes

Diving in the depth of python and i now have a fully automated seamless texture generator for my roofs :smiley:
I need no more interaction. The deal is to make a nice looking rooftiles texture, and hit the ‘run’ button.
After a few minutes, i have 2 output textures saved on disk ( was kinda complicated as the blender image handling is just shitty and associated to a file. Change the path and the content is fu*ked-up ! )

Now that this works fine, i reworked the whole shader so that it’s less messy…
The later one is much cleaner :slight_smile:

And the result is just the same:

Now i go back to modeling… old houses and ruined Vieulas tower…
Hang-on ! news come soon ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy blending !

5 Likes

Hi guys ! :smiley:

Back here with a new finished modeling: the Vieulas tower and its parasitic houses:

I only show a clay render as the dirt layer hasn’t been set up already ( and i’m off for today :wink: )

Soon i’ll post the finished version rendered in Blender and the final result in U3D using the AO+dirt bakes :slight_smile:

Happy blending ! :smiley:

3 Likes

Looking good!

I wasn’t familiar with the term “parasitic houses” so I looked that up and learned something new. Always a good day when that happens. Thanks!

1 Like

<< parasitic houses >> sounds like a contemptuous description but it is the word used by all historians and event by Eugène Viollet Le Duc for naming those houses.
They were built by poor people who were occupied making fabric. The wealthies people occupied the new town on the other side of the river.
The medieval city was only occupied by poor people who had no mean to live somewhere else than a ruined small medieval city.
But even if thoses houses were named this way, they were part of the medieval city hoistory and therefore deserve beeing represented in my 3D representation of the city in 1850 :slight_smile:

Am glad you had a good day @piranha4D :smiley:

So, here’s the later part, textured and rendered in blender:

Next part will be a wall between this tower ( The Vieulas tower ) and another tower named Tower of the Connétable mill.

Hope you like it ! :smiley:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

After spending few days at sorting 480 images that are 1850ish blueprints of the medieval city, here’s a modest part of it:
A short wall between the Vieulas tower and the Connetable’s mill tower:

It is quite simple ( 918 triangles ) and probably won’t deserve LODs.

Next part is the Connetable’s mill tower :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

It’s so amazing how you just keep on doing this… It’s like:

Well i made this ancient wall of one hundred thousend others and i forgot a single brick.

:heart_eyes:

And also:

And now i destroy it to make it look like today…

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:100: :heart:

2 Likes

lol @Okidoki :smiley:

Am glad you are amazed :stuck_out_tongue:
Yes you are not far from reality ! Though things are now easier as ( almost ) the whole city is in one .blend. when i started the project, i had one .blend per tower/wall/city item…

But now, as blender matured and as i start juggling with python, things go faster on the 3D part. It compenses the harder historical documents part ( lots of old books reading and photos archeology :rofl: )

You just described the reverse of what i’ve done. I modeled the whole city as it is nowadays ( and you can visit it in realtime through my app for free on my website :wink: ) and destroyed it to rebuild the 1850 one. I’ll do it again for the XIV° century city and again for the XII° century.
Am not sure i have enough historical info for going further in the past ( i’d like to go up to the Roman Oppidum founded from 300 to 600 but i doubt that without any real historian help i’m able to do this…

Thanks for your words and hang-on ! next tower is coming ! :smiley:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

Next part:
the tower of the Connetable’s mill !

On the top of this tower, a windmill was built before 1549 and was still visible in its ruined shape in 1850.
It was dismanteled for the renovation of the tower…

I drawn some wood beams in a mess inside the mill with the great blender addon Physics dropper :smiley:

Hope you like it !

Happy blending ! :smiley:

3 Likes