cartoony alien

I know it might be a bit cliche, but I think it would look good on “Steve” here. A deep or pale blue, with that luminescent type looking skin, where it seems like the edges are paper thin. It’s all up to you, but it’s another part where you think of the back story for him. Do they have enough sunlight on his planet to where he needs skin that’s more solid than ours or is his world dark where they could get away with thinner/almost glowing skin.

The chest piece wasn’t so bad, the two pectoral plates just kind of reminded me of the Saiyajin’s space suits from Dragon Ball Z. Maybe a sleeker look might fit better.

or a transparent kind of skin
that would be kinda cool!

but Midian i like your idea to!

well for the time being, i’ve decided to go with the sickly grayish flesh tone (at least, caucasian flesh tone) that i’ve seen in most of the research i’ve done with the “real” alien footage. i might change my mind later, as it’s just a quick “hue/saturation/luminance” setting :slight_smile:

don’t mind the eyes right now, they’ll probably be brown or blue. whatever color, they’ll have irises and such, not just the big black pupil. but then, as in the research, most of the “real” aliens have big black eyes… maybe something similar to a dog’s eyes, that catches strange reflections in the dark? ah, we’ll see.

Attachments

nice! keep it up!!

worked a bit more on the face, made the eye textures.

Attachments

yeah i like this picture the bast! the skin looks nice…and the eyes look REALLY good

Now that…is an alien!

The eyes and skin in that last one look really great. The previous one seemed to look too much like just a very odd looking cartoony human face. The newer textures really sell the fact that he’s an alien. Can’t wait to see more.

I like it a latte

played a bit more with the face (actually had to redo it, don’t you just love when you say “no” to the “do you want to save?” question?) and went ahead and applied the skin tone to the rest of the body. i’ll go in with the detail everywhere else next.

Attachments

His brown now seem too bulgy out from his head, they’re casting too harsh of a shadow to his temple area.

i assume you meant “brow” ?

I think that the brow looks fine to me. Makes it look more alien you know? I do think that the hands are too fat, you might want to stay with the whole long and thin theme through the arms and the hands. Great progress though!!

@dudebot: thanks for the crit, but i think i’m pretty well satisfied with the modeling stage.

worked some more on the body texture.

Attachments

Yea I thought I would just interject that and see what happens. Still looks great! Love the texturing job! But I dunno, it looks more like a deformed human from prehistoric times then an alien. The skin is great but looks a lot like a humans. I am used to the fact that they have a lot different looking skin. And the eyeballs look somewhat human as well. Just slightly larger. Might be just me but that is my opinion on it. Great work though!

now that you say that, it does remind me alot of Tak…

http://www.freewebs.com/ccc2005/screens_TAK2_CharacterArt.jpg

perhaps i WILL go with a different skin color…

well here’s a different color i MIGHT consider… altho i really like the regular fleshtone better, regardless of the primitive similarities…

Attachments

it fits him very well

i like it better then the old one

only crit would be to make his toe nails and finger nails a different color

It does make him more alien but I think it needs to be a little more subtle of a color. Like maybe a very dark blue instead of really bright! More of an ominous alien you know. You are getting close though! Great work!

I actually like the flesh toned one much better too. I think it is only fair that they are similar looking like us. There are enough differences to show that he is not of the same species but keep in mind. Similar problems often result in similar answers.
So what’s your plan on this one?
Did you do sketches of him before hand or do you have any references?