Challenge #1047 "Not Of This World" (14/07/23) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1047 for Friday 14th of July 2023 is:

Not Of This World

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jul 17, 2023 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: This Is Something!

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“Dimensionally Unstable”

Two Sample Frames:

Pure

My first deeper dip into grease pencil. Apparently you have to make a short animation when using grease pencil. That’s at least, what most of the tutorial videos did :sweat_smile: And it fits the theme.

The glass reflexes required more trickery than expected. And animating pencil strokes is finicky. Had to redo some of the animations because they did not look decent or were to cumbersome to complete.

15 Likes

‘New World’

Open- Grass, hdri and textures are mostly from Polyhaven, and the space texture is a star map that I think I got from a NASA website.

This render has too many problems and I got a headache trying to fix them so I give up. :neutral_face:

9 Likes

Alien Empire

Pure-ish? The building textures are all from one photo from Unsplash and the sky is a HDRI from Polyhaven, All models and the procedural texturing on the alien were all done by me this weekend.

This is my first attempt at reproducing a real building and I’m really pleased with the result! Though I got a few proportions a bit off and had to hide that in the uv mapping (lesson learned - I should have started from the texture and 3D-ified it, rather than just eyeballing all the proportions and texturing later).

A few behind the scenes shots:

I’m using a lot of black planes to control the reflections and bounced light for more drama.
The UV mapping only makes sense from the camera’s point of view.

There’s only 3 bird shapes, all just a simple low poly model with subdivision

I’m very pleased with the eye shader, even though you can barely see it in the final shot. It’s completely procedural and the size of the pupil can be changed. The iris is behind a layer of glass, so it gets refracted correctly.

12 Likes

“July 21, 1969”

Open entry : alien sculpted and textured in Zbrush, rest is done in Blender, textures from BlenderKit

14 Likes

A lost buddy with no signal

pure

8 Likes

reminds me also of the mad scientist in A Nightmare Before Christmas. :smiley:

3 Likes

“Welcome to Rat City”

Pure. Some of the background items were… ahem… borrowed, but I modeled the alleyway, the Violator (the demon) and the ummm, domestically challenged individual (not sure what the politically correct euphemism for “hobo” is).

This is based on characters from Todd MacFarlane’s “Spawn” franchise.
Haven’t ever really sculpted before, but Violator lends himself perfectly to a bit of bad, asymmetrical sculpting because of how gnarly he is.

Not really happy with the volumetrics, but I spent too much time on the characters.

6 Likes

Strange Object

Non competing.

I drew this object in the 80’s. I think I saw it in a dream. In 2016 I modeled it in Hexagon. I only found a .obj file for it now.

I imported the .obj into Blender 3.51, separated the blocks into individual objects, and applied materials.

Rendered with cycles, 2002 samples, composited with a mist pass.

Urban/City Street models
By: Evolix777

CC-BY

More https://blenderartists.org/t/strange-object-not-of-this-world/1473463

8 Likes

“Gateway”

pure
step into the unknown cosmos
All texture are procedurally generated including the impossible shader except the tree and leaves.

8 Likes

Portal

Open entry as I used mostly old assets and spent most of the time on the portal effect and lighting.

11 Likes

Impact Crater

Pure entry, made in blender 3.6, mostly geometry nodes.

5 Likes

I’m keeping an eye on all you…

Non-competing.

(pure, just not competing with this. :smiley: )

8 Likes

Missile Launch (style test)

Non-competing (Open)

Cycles, 256 samples, Davinci Studio ($), Production crate ($) magic circle, nebula HDRI

Great opportunity to try out a different look to play with. Still haven’t even started story boarding but have the short film idea pretty solid in my head. Still need a quite few more assets to make.

7 Likes

Wally World

Pure. Blender 3.5.1. Cycles Render

6 Likes

My entry - In Orbit

Pure, Cycles

9 Likes

Phone home

Open

9 Likes

No Time

Pure, Blender 3.6, Cycles

5 Likes

Extremophile

non competing (pure), Cycles, Blender 3.6.0

8 Likes

Originally, I was going to enter some strange alien scout guy. In the end, I didn’t have the time but I made a quick scribble anyway so I wouldn’t forget the idea. :slight_smile:

5 Likes