Challenge #816 (08/02/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #816 for Friday 8th of February 2019 is:

Apocalypse now

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Feb 11, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUniS5alTiA :metal:

4 Likes

I could make a prequel to my last week’s entry… :thinking:

ooohhh this one sounds like fun :wc::drooling_face::scream:

Yeah, I got my idea picked out… Probably going to jump into it later tonight. I do know it will be needing rendered out on my desktop.

The End

Of our elaborate plans
Of everything that stands

Pure entry, 1000 very unsound samples.

2 Likes

Choosers of the Dead

Non-competing

Cycles, 2000 samples, filmic, freestyle, post processing with Paintshop Pro

I had a Huey in my library (actually one of my first models using blender many years ago) so tried to recreate or at least get the feel of the iconic poster from Apocalypse Now.

The Bell UH-1 Iroquois (nicknamed " Huey ") is a utility military helicopter powered by a single turboshaft engine, with two-blade main and tail rotors. It is still in use today in the US military and other agencies. They are loud and kind of uncomfortable to fly in.

Have to play Ride of the valkyries in the background when looking at the poster. :smiley:

6 Likes

Are you kidding! Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater! Hueys are Vietnam war through and through!

Nice poster though!:yum:

1 Like

Touche. :wink: CCR would definitely play awesome background music for the Huey.

The US Air Force is still flying them. A few decades ago I got a chance to fly a bunch on them. A lot of fun sitting in the back.

Make Love Not War
Inspired by the poster of the movie
with alternative protagonists
Pure entry - Blender 2.79

7 Likes

Hello,
This is my OPEN NON-COMPETING entry for this week.
Only Kurtz is made with makehuman. Cycles 256s.

6 Likes

Since there is no way for me to go with my original idea of “Alpaca Lips Now” I just threw this non-competing entry animated gif together.

“Global Apocalypse” Compositing was done in Hitfilm Pro

ApocalypseWorld

4 Likes

Chants, Circles, Chaos

Open entry. Sorceress character base created with MakeHuman, castle wall texture from TextureHaven.com, all other textures are procedural. Cycles 256 samples + denoising, all works done in Blender.

I think I can also add ‘Cthulhu’ on the title since it rhymes too and still fit the image… :laughing:
My first idea was meteor rain, btw.

6 Likes

:wink:

4 Likes

“3…2…1… Smoothie Time!”

non-competing (pure), cycles (128 samples + denoising)

8 Likes

Hi guys,

Love the theme! Immediately wanted to take a non human perspective on the apocalypse and wanted to focus on the human role in this. Normally it’s aliens coming to earth but maybe its us all along. Not sure if I will finish on time because I haven’t done anything with underwater scenes before but i’m gonna try :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone has some ideas for doing the water + bubbles + plankton floating in the water feel free to jump in cause I am just trying stuff and haven’t gotten it right yet.

This is my in progress scene:

It’s just the main characters + simple gradient bg with nodes

To do:

Water+floating stuff and plastics
ground particles
lighting
squid stuck in plastic bag for background
Fins of main characters

_Not going to make it :frowning: _

5 Likes

“Calculating survival chance: 0%” - That’s the quote of the week. :smiley:

2 Likes

sounds like a Queen song :wink:

1 Like

fish out of water

12 Likes

Lovely stuff already. Working on something myself for this. Been a few weeks since I’ve entered.