Challenge #824 (05/04/19) Entries CLOSED

Imperator’s End

Open entry, Cycles 256 samples + denoising, procedural textures, debris made with particle system and explode modifier, blast effects and finishing done in GIMP.

Caesar’s assassination scene. Kind of. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I did exact the same thing. Pretty simple again. BG Texture from text. heaven. Pure.

Hope u guys like it!

Goedendag

10 Likes

the hardest thing beside finding enough time for a decent result is getting an inspiration or idea for the themes, at least for me. this time i did a remake of a scene from “gladiator”

Enter Rome

started as an eevee render i ended up with cycles.
some heavy postpro on this pure project was also done in blender.
have fun

4 Likes

Here is my non-competing entry:

RENDERING UNTO CAESAR

Pure Blender 2.79, Cycles, only procedural textures.

Inspired mostly by Matthew 22:17-12

RobertT

7 Likes

Here is my entry for this weekend contests. Went with a battle scene. Still new to blender but i think the more I’m learning slowly my entries are getting better lol.

3 Likes

Nice entries so far!

I found some time to add the coin layer I wanted.

I updated my full size entry image.

Have a good week, everyone!

RobertT

1 Like

Well, it took quite a lot of dedication, but I’m proud to have been able to create this Morituri te salutant statue in just 4 days. this is a pure entry all done in blender and everything made in these 4 days. Hazah!

This is my first participation in the weekend challenge, but It was a lot of fun and I’d definitly do it again. I’d love to know if there are improvements I can make for the next time around.
Best of luck to everyone! :wink:

9 Likes

“Susurro”

Non-competing. All new, sculpted in 2.8!

5 Likes

Trireme

Pure - I can’t do much more, overall I like it. Took 10.5 minutes to render. No compositing but a bit of denoising. Used 2.8, Eevee for pre-vis and modelling, cycles for main render.

5 Likes

I’M mad my render was done and I crossed cycles over with eevee but during compositing it crashed on me I was like REALLY!!!:fearful::no_mouth::astonished::rage::angry:
All that work for nothing​:disappointed::dizzy_face::confounded::confused:

Oh well I’ll render it out and post it on my facebook like all the others​:grinning::grin::sweat_smile:

The auto save didn’t work? Or had you not saved the rendered image yet before doing the compositing? That really sucks :frowning: Blender has done that to me before so anymore once the rendered image is finished I save it, then bring it into the compositor in case it crashes at least I have the uncomposited image to bring back in. I think that should be one of the auto save features as well, saving a rendered image in case of a crash at that point cause now if blender crashes after the rendered image is done you still have to re-render the image. I have had it even get to the point where the rendered image was done and the minute I clicked an option after it crashed, nothing like waiting 2 hours on a render just to have to do it all again and babysit it.

My render is in layers I tride saving image before but the results are different when compositing on and off blender
it would be nice if I would auto save completed renders to :grin:

It’s about 20 hours of rendering on 500 samples and I about 40 hours on 1000 samples and I think 10 hours on 100 samples

Pure entry
Party’s Aftermath

3 Likes

I was going to make another suggestion if it ok
Try putting a white wall to the dark side of the image and point a area lamp at it you will get a diffused bounce light you can ajust and you can change colors of both so you can show a small amount of detail from the dark side and you can ajust the size of the wall :grin:

I tried a soft diffuse bounce light on that side, and ultimately decided against it. The levels are extremely low in that area, to the point that no clear shape is discernible. But that was a choice I made, and not an accident.

edit: The decision was not purely art based. I never finished the female face sculpt and when properly lit it had a weird uncanny look. When something looks like shit, and it needs to ship, you just turn the lights way down. :grimacing:

Lol ya I’ve done the same thing when something goes wrong on my render or modeling I try to hide it :sweat_smile:
Thats understandable :+1: