Challenge #870 "Atmospheric" (21/02/20) Entries CLOSED

I’m just waiting for the compositer to get done I’m going to post the uncomposited image and the composited image.

Have to do some color corrections on one of the layer renders.

1 Like

My mind is blown to pieces! All of you guys really upped your game for this challenge ! I’m so happy to have chosen this theme. :smile: Especially @Justin712. You’re awesome man.

2 Likes

Thanks, man, I really appreciate it! And same, everyone really brought out their best on this one, it’s insane! The theme was a great choice :joy:

2 Likes

A bit late this weekend. hope to finish it tomorrow. Here a WIP

Bad Atmosphere

AO

8 Likes

Going for an ironic take on it I see :joy:
Very nice!

1 Like

sooo
“It’s not the end of the wolrd”
non-competing - cycles

I decided to keep my half full glass as my entry, so I’m posting the result of lots of syms and debugging as a non competing :wink:
the non-edited version (for some reason, it looks better than the edited one)

8 Likes

open entry I guess cause some painting and color correction in photoshop.

12 Likes

Hey all, this is my very first contest entry, but I’ve been lurking for a while now.

When I think atmosphere, I immediately think of Blade Runner (both are equally atmospheric). The roof top snow/rain scene in BR 2049 inspired this entry.

Good luck, they all look fantastic!

Rendered in Eevee:

4 Likes

quick render. Literally done in about 15 minutes haha, busy weekend.

“What Lies Within”
Open

10 Likes

Been having problems with my render thought I saved the composited image and exited blender to find it nowhere to be found the second time I rendered it, it froze now I’m rendering it again it’s 4 hours each per a render so I’ve been rendering for 16 hours trying to get the composited image. :sweat_smile::dizzy_face::v::grin::joy:

Here’s my entry

NASA Mars Atmospheric Habitat

Pure

Cycle

4096x2160 resolution

75 samples

All procedural textures

Blender Landscape add-on comes with blender when you down load

Multires lvl 2

Sculpted on for detail didn’t have enough for me

Filmic

World settings for the clouds in the background with procedural textures and a sphere with a particals system for the stars

Bump to norm for further details with procedural textures

Lens flare made in blender

3 layered

Had to use my phone to composite the image blender froze on me again and won’t be home until about 4pm today

If I can I’ll composite the saved uncomposited image instead of rendering again it will save time but I’ll have to make ajustments in the compositor.

Heres the uncomposited image no entry

2 Likes

I like how this theme can be taken literally or metaphorically. I’m glad to see people trying it both ways.

Here’s mine:
Sky Islands
Pure entry, rendered in Eevee with procedural and hand-drawn textures

Taking inspiration from Chrono Trigger and BioShock

11 Likes

ooo i really like that! I have a very similar image in my head from years ago that i just never got around to.

I ended up doing another thing that fit the challenge, y’all know im up on that everyday art challenge, and i guess i sort of did two today, but i finished after midnight so technically it counts for mondays art.

anyways, thought you fellas might get a kick out of it.

“It was then we realized that the angels with their halos depicted in our ancient text and artwork, were infact their ships. And it all made sense, for pizza was our god, its flesh we feasted on, the forbidden fruit, and retribution was at hand. For every slice we ate, so too would a human be eaten by them.”

10 Likes

Shadow Fleet

Non-competing. EEVEE, toying around with volumetric + smoke sim, some post-pro in GIMP. Used ship models I made for CGBoost challenge. Omitted some effects as EEVEE doesn’t seem to handle fancy materials too well (or it was me who’s too lazy to tinker with it some more, lol).

Alternate version (no smoke sim) :

10 Likes

Maaan what a great theme, so many wonderful entries. No idea how I should choose a favourite (or three). You really picked a good one, @Cesium55! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cycles, Pure, ‘Space Elevator’

2 Likes

This is my first image for a challenge, hope you’ll like it :slight_smile:

Asteroid
Pure

Asteroids coming through the atmosphere, reflected from the mirror of a bike.

I used image texture for the rock, everything else is done using procedural textures. Rendering with 1024 samples took little more than 3 hours.

3 Likes

Mainly wooden trinket boxes still, oh a lot of heightmap carving too, partly hence this return to use BlenderGIS plugin. However my CNC design was slightly based on “This Old Tony” gantry design, so played with aluminium a bit but still struggling with MS, but its still fun learning. Also in process of making a lathe too, then can finish my plastic injection machine.

Here’s some machinist p0rn…

1 Like

Very cool. Them ancient Greeks were pretty smart.

There are a few of us on here using blender for cnc. I use it for pattern design and development. Export as STL or grey scale height maps.

If you are making your own tools, a lot of kudos. Way beyond my skills.

Hopefully your lathe is done soon. Really enjoy turning. Don’t do it enough.

TBH, I also skilled up on FeeCAD, but its no Blender, so I design in Blender and sometimes export to FreeCAD, but FreeCAD for quick cutouts. FYI, I use dmap2gcode for heightmap carving and fengrave for v carving… Hint to Blender mods, these are in python, would be easy to slip into Blender, yay :smiley:

I did always use Blender for 3D printing, until I started using ABS (so can smooth with acetate) and ran into shrinkage, so parametric design became an influencing factor.

In my years I’ve used the majority of CAD packages, and by far I find Blender the fastest and most enjoyable to use, I even still use right click.

1 Like