Challenge #877 "Magic wild" (10/04/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #877 for Friday 10th of April 2020 is:

Magic wild

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Apr 13, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

Wild Magic

I was thinking of changing the topic from Magic wild to Wild Magic. I was able to contain my OCD and keep it Magic Wild (only changing the lower case wild to Wild). Magic Wild, almost sounds like a person’s name: An opportunity for an open entry :slight_smile: I even have a title for my entry, it’s been written in stone: Wild Magic :slight_smile:

Open entry, 2000 samples. The ground, grass and the trees are taken from http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Fantastic-Greenhouse-Challenge.Glass-Cathedral.html. I tweaked the material and grass to make them a little more believable. I got the clouds from http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Crop-Circles.Spacebillies.html. Made a few minor improvements. The staff and clothing are new. Despite almost everything being reused, I spent quite a bit of time on this: Still have quite a bit to learn about rigging a character.

3 Likes

Is there a difference between Magic Wild and Wild Magic? All I’m finding is a single fiction book (by Linsey Hall)

1 Like

From how I understand it, Magic Wild makes Wild the noun and Magic the adjective, so you are describing the wild as magical. The other way around makes Magic the noun and Wild the adjective, so magic is being described as wild.

I assume what is actually meant is Wild Magic for the theme (rather than what is stated), as that would be the more common term, referring to magic that is wild.

1 Like

With that said, guess ill try and make something that is projected into a mirror and cover all basis :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s try not to overthink that one, or else I’ll be late again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m new to blender and this is my first time, sorry for mistakes on reply.

TITLE: “Magic Turtle In the Nature V2” Low Poly
Pure Blender (Cycles).

5 Likes

that’s the perfect theme for a fanart on The Witcher, just saying.
too bad I’m doing something else.

Title: shaman
Pure Blender (EEVEE).

It’s a shaman fixing some things.

1 Like

Magical Disturbance in the Forest
Pure, competing

Blender 2.82, Eevee + compositor

I don’t know what my magical disturbance is exactly, but you probably don’t want to go near it!

I was going to do other projects in Blender, but then I commented on this week’s challenge about the theme. I thought… I have already posted here and know the theme, I probably should make something for it as well.
So here it is, my entry which somehow turned out good, even though I was just mashing together random things. I usually don’t expect the scenes I make to turn out any good for the weekend challenges, but a lot of the time, it just works even though I don’t spend much time on it. This entry was made in just over 2 hours today.

8 Likes

“Discourse of the dogs”
Non-competing.

6 Likes

here is my entry:
“Kraaz”
open- cycles

this one needs a bit of explaining: That’s a cool scene I envisioned for a chapter of a novel I’m always trying to write, but never finish.
I used here my favorite technique, that involves lot’s of png’s and some realistic grass.

i first found two cutout’s of random people on architectural visualization sites, and placed them onto my scene, to be our witch and our ghost. and for the attackers, that’s just me in front of a green screen, having way more fun than I should be, and wearing flip fops, since Brazil is hot af and I needed layers of heavy black clothing. (here is one for a cheap laugh):

I also went outside to my backyard and tried to photograph some plant life and make the scene feel more alive, but ended up settling on a rather simple grass field, since it proved itself quite effective.
I had to rely on denoising way more than i feel comfortable, but as last week told me, better to deliver a work with a few artifacts than not deliver anything :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Forbidden Magic

Open

Cycles, 5000 samples, filmic, hdri lighting, graswald, MB lab base figure, Paintshop Pro for border, texture and color correction.

A tree dryad discovered the taboo magic of fire and could not give up its allure and fascination. With her wolf beast she was exiled to the edge of the magic forest to live her days in solitude.

A lot of the bi-corn wolf beast detail got lost since he is shadow which I kind of like, but here he is in his full glory.

6 Likes

that’s an amazing concept for a cool spin on fantasy tropes. It’s the kind of story perfect for heavy wolrdbuilding, like, overthinking simple concepts and imagining what would culture and religion interlace with a magic and fantasy setting.

1 Like

Pure, competing.

Magic wild.
I’m not good at titles so I’m just going with “Magic wild” because that’s the competition right… but at least I actually managed to get something done for this weekend’s challenge. Kinda just went crazy with volumetric and emission shaders mixed with color ramps.
Rendered in Eevee 128 samples 1920 x 1080.

6 Likes

Pure Blender 2.82
Trees made with MTree addon

5 Likes

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “the moon is made of cheese”
Cycles 2048s. Only trees made with sapling addon.

7 Likes

Hi! A lot of time without seeing you, family! (two years, or so)

i prepared something, nothing special, actually, cause i’m working on some other projects…
That’s what came to me when i thought about Magic Wild… i wasn’t able to represented as well as i would like, but hey! is something… my GPU died, so i’m stick to slow working with the CPU, i didn’t wanted to spend to much time on this. (i loved the mushrooms, and your artwork too! <3) Love you guys, see ya.

Pure in Cycles! (Cause i think EEVEE is just tool… not to be used for every single render you do (Also my CPU don’t like it :P))

9 Likes

Hey! you made mushrooms too!

Mushrooms or toadstools? I never knew the difference… no native speaker! sorry :smiley:

This made me extremely happy to put this into my laptop this moring.
Annotation 2020-04-11 114037
I can finally run blender on my new laptop!!!
I can’t wait to have fun in these competitions again!

4 Likes