Challenge #892 "Astronomy" (24/07/20) Entries CLOSED

Now that I see what you aimed for, think it would have made sense for you to use the glare node. It gives a more star-like shape. It also wouldn’t need the depth madness.

2 Likes

Title: Only in the Desert

Pure: All materials and textures are procedural

Render in Cycles at 62 samples. Used two layers for this, the full scene on one layer then the Moon and Saturn on second layer. For the second layer, in the Compositing tab, used the Glare node to make the glow around Saturn and the Moon. The mountains where “sculptured” :slight_smile: The swirls in the sky are a cube with the Principled Volume shader being feed some stuff from a ColorRamp and noise node. Behind the sky cube is a plane with the stars and just in front the cube (and behind the mountains) is another plane with a Gradient node, ColorRamp and Transparent node to try and fade from black to transparent so the colorful swirls start above the mountains but do not start with a ‘hard’ edge/line.
Any feed back is welcome.

9 Likes

Pure Entry Cycles 2.83 128 samples

“Stargazing Rover”

7 Likes

Nice scene, but there is no ice on the mars surface :smiley:

2 Likes

Pure Entry Cycles
“Phantasya”

10 Likes

I always pictured Captain Picard’s first ship a little more ‘spacious’… :slight_smile:

Are you sure this is Mars? Anyways, shouldn’t there be some ice in Mars’s polar regions? :slight_smile:

Thanks! Glad you like it.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s Mars; looks like a really tiny planet, more like an asteroid. And those aren’t ice, they are fallen stars :open_mouth:

1 Like

I knew somebody will make that! Congratulations! You made me win a Rhodesia chocolate bar :heart: xD

What do you mean by ‘seeing’ those particles? I mean, background radiation is hard to filter, specially for TVs which will basically show noise as background radiation hits the atenna. And by adjusting brigness and tint… hu… well, it was a CRT. I don’t know, i wasn’t there, I’m only 19 never thought about that! :joy:

Yes, you are right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_polar_ice_caps

3 Likes

Saw this after watching a gameshow on youtube where they mentioned the term ‘Tweed space suit’, so I thought I’d try to make some kind of old fashioned space-based natural philosopher’s attire.

Sketch (Krita):

Entry:
title: “Tweed space suit”
type: Pure, all Blender except an HDRI from HDRI-haven for lighting
render engine: Cycles

4 Likes

Nice! The animated gif on the bottom (“Extents of north (left) and south (right) polar CO2 ice during a martian year”) is fascinating, too. I guess, one should take that into account when planning a winter sports vacation on mars…

Stellarium

Non-competing. Cycles, procedural textures, no volumetrics, post-pro in GIMP.

Raw render & viewport :

5 Likes

Space Telescope
Pure, competing

Blender 2.83
Cycles + compositor

You might be able to notice some simularities to the James Webb Space Telecope. I took inspiration from that as you can see in the dish, and I went and added on my own ideas behind it.

Haven’t been doing these challenges lately. I kind of disappeared to get other projects done, both within and outside of Blender. (One thing was that I wanted to get my desert oasis scene completed, which is now in the forum’s artworks section and also on YouTube)

6 Likes

I updated my CMBR map to be a bit more realistic with some variation in cosmic structures. Here is the object material node setup I used in case you’re curious.

Obviously, our universe was created using Blender nodes and the detail setting was just turned up to ∞. :wink:

2 Likes

Had a little time so I gave it a shot – first tried the Streaks glare type because it’s the default and wow! Really like the way that made the stars pop. But pop was not the goal, so I tried Fog Glow next, then Ghosts. Useful effects, but I think Blur did what I was looking for better (softened the stars a smidge so they didn’t look quite so harsh-edged).

Nonetheless the Streaks type did some lovely things, so I’ve just put up yet another tweaked version of my entry – hopefully the final this time. :pleading_face: Thanks!

1 Like

Reflections

PURE, Cycles

7 Likes

“What’s That?”

Pure, Eevee

This is the general timeline of my brain during a challenge from Thursday to Monday-

• Ahh interesting topic, wonder what I can make?
  • This is taking way too much time…
  • IMPOSSIBLE!
  • Maybe possible?
  • What was I thinking, this didn’t take time at all! Others surely give more than just 2 hours a day…

BTW, this is actually my first proper eevee render.

6 Likes

Glad to help!

1 Like

Worlds

Pure Entry, Love the Theme! Rendered in Blender 2.83 Cycles at 128 samples with compositor denoising and mist. I was experimenting with snow and star fields that were all done via compositing in the node editor. Ive never done larger scale landscape models very well before but I think this came out good.

8 Likes

Chocolate Suzanne in Space
Pure
rendered in evee

207cec8ae4c6ff590a186dc0a440900f388c147f_2_500x500

you can watch the small animation here: Chocolate Suzanne in space

2 Likes