Construction Lines add-on - CAD - Released

Thanks, James, glad you like it. What version of CL and OS are you using? If you’re on a Mac there is a new setting in the preferences ‘Allow dashed line drawing’ which can be unchecked. Some Macs seem to have an issue with dashed line shaders.

The documentation has fallen behind a little recently as there’s been so much development but I’ll get on it soon, though I may wait to fully update for the next release, as there are some interface changes which will need most of the images changed.

Thanks @kkostovas I’ve looked into this now and I should have access through the API to the depsgraph, so I’ll be able to add the modifer snap points in. I might have this as a preference as performance could take a big hit if high levels of subdivision are used or other modifiers that produce a lot of new geometry.
Thanks for pointing out.

That is awesome, I wonder if you could add it as an option to switch it on and off “on the fly” with a shortcut. Or if it is possible to somehow bypass/deactivate some modifiers that add more geo like subD or bevel. Although there are cases where you would want to snap to a bevels edge when the bevel is too wide. I believe though the important modifiers are the ones that affect locations/rotations (mirror, array, displace etc.).

I understand that this can actually cause more problems than it solves :sweat_smile: but thank you for your efforts.

I agree that it should be an on-the-fly switch, so I’ll add a button to the tools panel rather than putting it into the preferences. I think it’s one of those things you might want to change quickly and repeatedly as you model.

I’ll look into bypassing modifiers, as it could be pretty useful (cheers for the suggestion). I’m not sure how deep the API lets you go into the modifiers.

1 Like

CAD Transform perform a mesh evaluation including modifiers, as blender’s scene ray cast is performed on final result by default (evaluating on “base mesh” without taking modifiers into account will result in non consistent face index).
Collection instance are not “visible” to scene raycast, so you are not able to snap. Looks like blender rely on open gl to allow snap, but this is not an option for python based snap as it is way too slow to initialize.
On the other hand, geometry nodes allow to duplicate a whole collection at once and result will be visible for regular snap.

2 Likes

@norrid Thank you for looking into it.

@stephen_leger Very interesting, I usually use collection instances with a face, I think geometry nodes only support vertices at the moment(I am very new to geo nodes) which is fine but when used on curves they don’t follow orientation like a plane does.

Oh well there is still a long road ahead of us. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi. Can i change hotkeys?
I used to blenders Move - G or Rotate - R.

Hi Oleg,

Reassigning shortcut keys is coming soon in the next version.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

3 Likes

Hay just bought the addon, love it im an old sketchup user so these tools bring a nice comfort

Some questions

Could you add your eraser into this addon i think it would be quite nice to have it as one of the circle tools in your new ui tool bar

Is ‘Scale’ planned to go along with move and rotate? were i can pick two points the first being the center of scale

With the selection tool can we select between edge, vertex, face and object(object being the whole object). Currently the move and rotate tool act like there in object mode now
The way i envision this is we use the select tool to select a edge, vertex, face or object(my thought is we visually select the origin point of the object or some new visual representation of the origin point for selection) Once we have made the selection we can go to the move or rotate and maybe scale tool and use as normal to transform what we have selected

Only other thing i can think of that would be a nice addition is your own transform tool to be the same as blenders default transform tool. That gives the gizmo for grab rotate and scale, so we can transform with a gizmo without having to leave the construction lines tool. This would be strictly a center point transformation, where it gets the center of the object, edge, vertex or face that is selected.

I think it would be a nice quality of life addition anyway to have the three 2-point transformation tools for move rotate and scale and a center point transform gizmo for all 3 transformations. With this i wouldn’t have to leave the construction lines tool much

I do feel like the addon should be called ‘Construction Tools’ as its more then just lines now :smiley:

Anyway thankyou for the awesome tool

Edit: Just noticed some bugs, Ill make a video later to show them

1 Like

So here are some bugs i found
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wTMgRE629WQo1zn6ZI0lHhFIvXtxryxw/view?usp=sharing
(not often i hear my voice in a recording i sound way more British then i ever thought i did and more awkward then i ever thought i was haha :sweat_smile:)

I had some thought on other feedback
I went to write it but it was a lot of text so i just did a video instead and recapped what i wrote before
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Ty7TL5aiKADNfE33Z17mUF57DH6h0JY/view?usp=sharing

This might come with being able to set our own hotkeys but setting right click to cancel out of a tool action like drawing a line would be nice you see a few times in the vid where im trying to click a ui element but the draw tool trys to draw instead of letting me click the button. right click to cancel would be quicker then pressing escape. I guess that can be considered a bug where it dosnt recognize im pressing a button and thinks im just clicking in the viewport to draw ect

As an after thought, perhaps if you can let use set your new toolbar to always be visible weather we have it as the selected tool or not. So we can easily pick your tools from the bar at anytime. Setting it to always be visible could hide the tool in the tool shelf as its no longer needed at that point. I think it would make your tool feel less like a separate mode and more of an integrated toolset. Again more of a personal preference same with all the features iv suggested, Id love to have them but i understand if thats not where you want to take the addon

Also thought about adding a snap point for face center so we can draw lines and snap into the center of a face
And a snap point for the origin so we can draw lines and snap to that or use the move rotate tool and use it as a snapping point

1 Like

@BlueStar Thanks for purchasing CL and also for all your feedback and suggestions (they are always appreciated).

I’m working hard on the next version at the moment, which has some big changes to the interface along with new functionality. There’s still a lot to do but it’s all coming together now. I’ll try to go through your points one by one but if I miss anything let me know.

• Eraser tool - I’m currently adding in functionality for erasing objects and geometry and looking to see if CL Eraser can be fully integrated, or at least called from CL. Either way there definitely needs to be a delete function and there will be something for the next version
  • Scale - I’ve not started developing this wet but it’s on the list. Like the rotate tool it would be great to be able to automatically set an origin.
  • I’ve been working on vert, edge and face selections today. You should be able to move, rotate and delete all of these in the next version, which will be a big step forward and mean that you won’t have to keep leaving CL to do these things.
  • I’ve been working a lot on the interface and would like to include more gizmos (as you suggest). I don’t really use them in my normal Blender use but I tried a stylus the other day and realised how useful they are for this sort of thing. I’m not sure if they’ll be done for the next version but they are on the list.
  • I’ll go through your bug list and compare it with those I’ve recently fixed (as there have been a lot of fixes and changes over the last few weeks) - thanks for sending these.
  • I noticed that the Right-click to cancel doesn’t have any effect, so I’ll fix that soon.
  • I’m currently looking into the best solution for user-assigned hotkeys. It’s proving quite difficult because of the way CL works and actually this ties in with your point about having the toolbar always visible. Because of the way CL works, it needs to be always active, to switch between tools. It’s more of a long term goal for me to split each tool up into their own operator but that will require a full re-write, so if I decide to do this it’ll be post version 1. In the meantime, I’m really working to improve how CL integrates with Blender, so that changing tools is a bit more seamless and also that there will be less reason to exit CL.
  • Face centre and origin snap are both on the list and I intend to have those included in the next version.

I know I promised to put a development list up (Trello or Git project) but I’ve been so busy with development and my day job that I’ve not had a moment. I’ve made a start on it and I’ll try to post a link soon.

Thanks again for the feedback and welcome to Blender Artists.

3 Likes

Awesome really looking forward to the updates

• Eraser tool - Great wonder if you could have an ‘eraser’ button appear in your new toolbar if it detects you have your eraser addon installed so it just calls the tool from the new toolbar with the new button
  • Scale - It will be great to have this glad it its in the list, holding shift to scale on all 3 axis like i mentioned in the vid would mean we dont have to manually scale the selection 3 times for when we want the selection to scale uniformly
  • Selection - i also noticed that pressing ‘A’ doesn’t select all, would be nice to have when the select tool is selected. If and when you add face snap and origin snapping these too can be added to the selection so we can transform with these as our center
  • Gizmo - For me the gizmo option is useful for various things particularly when your just transforming around a center point. Rotating an object around its own center for example, your rotate tool cant currently do this as you cant select an objects center(well until you add the origin as a snap point)
  • Hotkeys - I think for me the most important for me and others is setting move to g rotate to r and scale(when its added) to s. As these most would be used to that by now and just keeps with blenders default flow, cad transform did this for that reason i think
  • snapping - Great these two would be very useful

Some missed points or i missed them in your reply

• Moving the new toolbar x,y positions and setting its alignment (top,bottom,left,right)
  • Scaling and color options for the snap dots(a must for visually impaired and color blind users)
  • Allowing the default top bar controls(viewport shading controls and the context menus on the left side) to be visible and usable in CL mode
  • Option to force/keep the new CL toolbar visible even if its not the currently selected tool(helps make it feel integrated and allows me to hide the default toolbar and just used CL)
  • Bevel and inset options, be it like how i suggested in the video or and new separate buttons

Following this i had two other ideas, these are less inline with the main scope of your addon but ill suggest them anyway to see what you think

• Paint bucket - Something similar to the paint bucket tool in sketchup this would be a new paint bucket tool added to the CL toolbar that you can set the material and click on faces to assign the mat like you could in sketchup. you could have a small additional ui appear next to the paint bucket icon where you can select and pin materials. Here is a quick concept of my thoughts to help put an image to my ramblings

(Side note the background color of your toolbar buttons are not the same as the background color of the original circle icons on the right as you can see in the concept. Yours are abit lighter in color)
    Here it shows the paint bucket selected and the mats pinned(duplicate mat pins because i did it quick) with the add button, my thought is the add button pins the current material selected in the actual material panel so it becomes available for a quick select when using the paint bucket. This then would be a close approximation of how easy sketchups paint bucket tool worked were we can set the mat then just click on all the faces we want to paint it on. Some options to set max number of pinned mats or how they appear in a grid like format like setting it to 5x6 so would result in 30 max mat pins for example, as well as x,y position of the mat pins so users can move to the lower bottom right corner where i thought to have it at first

• A button shortcut add option - have + button(you see in the concept i have what was the close button now a +) on the CL toolbar that when pressed allows you to pick from a list of all the tools available in the tool shelf so you can add any none CL tools to the CL toolbar as a shortcut to call any tool inside CL. The use case im thinking is if i add a addon thats adds a new tool but i have the toolself hidden(like in my concept) and just use your CL toolbar being able to add any tool to your CL toolbar just as callable shortcuts would be very useful and allow each user to somewhat extend your toolbar to suite there needs

These like i said are more of a streach feature requests that would be sooo very nice to have
In the concept i did also add the scale and transform gizmo just for the sake of the concept along with adding the defult top bar(the shader controls and context menu on the left side). With this setup i would have the n-panel appear on the left side and all will be great :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Nice mockup, CL looks cool with a vertical layout. Having CL toolbar always visible would be interesting. I think I can see some good stuff about it, but I wonder if it could be a distraction or be in the way. Also interesting suggestions you have.

1 Like

Thankyou, Technically not new i think i had an old account but i dont remember it lol
The idea is you can align it to top bottom(current) left or right and set its x,y position so each user can set to there preference. The concept is how i would have it and i would set the n-panel to appear from the left side as i would set the default tool shelf to be hidden. For the ‘Layout’ workspace anyway, i would then use the toolshelf in sculpting or texture paint ect

My thought was to integrate into where the other circle controls was already

The idea for setting the new toolbar to always visible is so that even if you dont have CL as the selected tool the bar is still visible. So lets say you have one of the default tools selected, instead of having to select CL tool then select one of the tools from its bar you can just directly select a tool from the CL bar which would automatically put you into CL mode. You skip the step of having to select CL first and would make the CL tools feel fully integrated and not a separate edit mode.

As for the Pined material that stick out, that would only be there when you have the paint bucket tool selected and hide when you have another tool selected so it dosnt intrude when your not using and i suggested it can also be movable so users can pick its location

Norrid said he wants to make it so you dont have to leave CL as much, with these suggested changes you wont even know you have left CL mode as it would be seamless other then the snap points wouldnt be available. Its why id hope for some form of gizmo transform, bevel and inset integrated so they can benefit from the vastly superior snapping system and say good bye to the magnet nonsense :stuck_out_tongue:

Got here from Archipack

Just bought this amazing add-on. Can see it saving me hours of frustration :slight_smile:

Thank you for developing

2 Likes

Thanks, @BlueStar I like the ideas in your mockup. I’ve been thinking about a paint bucket tool for a while and put it on hold because of the new asset manager development, as I wanted to see what direction this is going in. I wonder whether some drag-drop\paint bucket functionality will be added, as it seems like a natural step. I also want to wait and see if there will be anything new exposed in the API to work with it.

I like the idea of being able to add new buttons to the tool menu. This could be very useful and actually a nice way to easily add CL Eraser into CL. I’ll look into this.

On the other points:

• Hotkey reassigning has now been implemented for all CL specific functions
  • All colours can now be changed in preferences
  • I’m looking into Gizmos and a scale tool at the moment and might wait until 0.9.7 for those
  • Snap dot size and snap sensitivity preferences are in progress, so should be in the next release
  • I’m working on toolbar positioning but there are some issues to overcome with this
  • Topbar controls - this a difficult one as there are some options I really want to have, like shading but some of the menu options could cause serious issues. I’m running tests at the moment to see if I can limit what items are visible/enabled.
  • I’ll look into always-on CL toolbar and the bevel suggestion

I’ve been working a lot on this over the last few weeks and there are a lot of new changes and updates (outside of what I mentioned above). There’s still a lot to do but 0.9.6 it’s starting to come together.

Thanks again for all your input.

Thanks for the comment @sceyefeye

Im getting excited for the future of this tool :smiley:

If they do a ‘paint bucket’ do you thing you would implement it into your tool in some way similar to my suggestion

I did notice that general blender shortcuts do not function wile in your tool
Even undo Ctrl+Z ect

The tool is obviously in a fully isolated spaces cutoff from blenders normal mode, can or has this been changed. So for example we can use the loopcut shortcut wile in your tool, Seeing as using the loopcut shortcut normally just performs a quick cut but dose not change your active tool so it be nice if we can get all blender shortcuts and functions to be accessible wile in your tools ‘mode’

Assuming you havnt already noticed and made changes regarding this already :smiley:

One last thing have you thought about a follow tool

I used to use this tool all the time in sketchup, there are some similar blender tools like this but i found sketchups way just more intuitive personally. Just wondered what your thoughts are on this?

2 Likes

is there a way to use only the snap features of your addon with other modeling addons?

@anon16398817 at the moment there isn’t any way to use my snapping functions with other add-ons as it’s all tied into my add-on. However, I currently looking into a suggestion made by @BlueStar which would allow you to add operators (blender in-built or other add-ons) as a button on CL’s tool menu, so it might be a way to do what you’re suggesting.