Construction Lines add-on - CAD - Released

Thanks @Kouza_Nagi this is something I’m working on now. At the moment you can only cut out faces if your line/shape is connected to an edge of the face, so I’m working on automatically adding required geometry enabling cuts into any section of the face. With Blender 2.9’s Extrude Manifold, it should give the same behavior as SketchUp’s Push/Pull where you can quickly draw geometry onto a face and extrude or cut holes. This is a real priority for me as it moves my own workflow more into Blender.

2 Likes

Now this would be great!

1 Like

I bought it, I played with this idea to push/pull with line tool in actual 3d geo extrude

Mainifold extrude is not great for this kind of stuff( i think they work on it to cut through but i’m not sur) however some addon succes to do it like Destructive Extrude.

is there a way to constrain straight line like C in blender knife tool ?

https://blenderartists.org/t/destructive-extrude-beta

no longer developed I’m afraid

4 Likes

…i just buy this and really appreciate its potential but right now i have few problems with this

1. when i want to give unit to lines or tape before clicking second vertex my camera moves like 1 for front orthographic since my laptop doesn’t have number pad…
  2. just like in sketch up,i was expecting lines or arc tools will divide face in another polygons but arc tools just stay upside of it and doesn’t do anything,its just a arc line top of face…
  3. please have eraser tool too…if possible
    sorry for long msg…

Thanks for purchasing and posting the video. I’ve not tried Manifold extrude for a while but I know it’s still in development. I wrote a similar function to destructive extrude, using booleans but the Blender devs changed the way booleans work, so it became problematic. If Manifold Extrude doesn’t work as we hoped, I’ll continue development with my version but I’ll wait to see how it turns out first.

I’ve added the angle constraint onto my list for development, thanks for suggesting that one.

1 Like

Thanks for buying it.

1. Have your mapped your number row to camera orientation? Can you normally use number input in Blender with the number row as you have things configured?
  2. When using the arc tool, are you working in edit mode? Also make sure that the arc’s edges are connected to existing edges, as at the moment you can’t split a face with unconnected geometry (it’s currently in development) eg. you can’t draw a rectangle in the middle of a face to split it, it must be connected to a face edge.
  3. Check out my free eraser add-on https://gum.co/XZOpk it’s called CL Eraser. It was going to be part of Construction Lines but I decided it might work better as a separate tool. I just posted an update today.
3 Likes

Hi Norrid

Great add-on start. I teach interior design with the dreaded SketchCrap app.

If you are interested we can do a zoom meeting to provide some feedback into what the add-on needs to convince interior designers to switch over to blender.

There are few me features that simply make them stick to sketchup.

Best
Claas

2 Likes

Hi Claas,

Yes, I’d love to have a chat and get some feedback from you. I work with a lot of interior designers myself but none of them have any interest in moving away from the packages they use, so it would be really interesting to get your take on what keeps them in SketchUp.

Let me know when’s good for you and we’ll book it in.

Thanks,
Dan

Hello Dan,

I bought your plugin yesterday because I want to support the effort in making Blender better for CAD related work.

One issue I am having with your add-on is that when it is activated I am no longer able to use my 3D mouse (3DConnexion Space Mouse).

This also happens with Blender native tools, but it doesn’t need to be this way. For example another add-on I am using, CAD Transform ( CAD Like transform ), allows me to use my 3D mouse while it is activated, which is in line with how other CAD software function.

If you could enable this functionality in your add-on as well it would be great!!

1 Like

Hello Ozy,

Thanks for buying the add-on. More than happy to look into this and make it work. If CAD Transform allows for the 3D mouse, then the events must be exposed in the API. I’ll definitely try to get this working.

I don’t have a 3D mouse myself to test this, so before I release a fix to everyone, would you mind if I sent a version to you to try first?

Thanks,
Dan

2 Likes

I would be happy to test it for you!

1 Like

That’s great, thanks. I’ll message you once I work up a fix.

3 Likes

This is a great add-on, will definitely buy it. One question though, can you choose to leave the guide-lines or construction lines visible. Some really elegant renders are done with these lines still showing and it adds a nice element of craftsmanship.

1 Like

Hi, just bought your addon and making tries but I’m a bit lost.

1. when I try to enter a value with the keyboard it changes the viewport view angle. I mean I press 1 and it goes to front view…

2. Is there a way to snap to the grid ? I have grid active as a snapping options but it doesn’t do anything

3. Is there a way to start drawing aligned to the current view ?

4. A little hint somewhere could indicate which kind of line we are currently drawing.

5. Maybe a little in depth video would be welcome!

2 Likes

Hi StroBlend,

Thanks for the message. Sorry you are having some issues. Let’s go through them:

1. Are you using the number row or the number pad on your keyboard to enter values? If you’re using the number row, have you mapped it to camera views?
  2. Grid snapping is something that is on my list for development, so that will be coming soon.
  3. Yes that’s a good idea, maybe an icon on the top bar to show what mode you’re currently working in.
  4. I’m flat out on development at the moment, adding new features and fixing any issues but I’ll definitely be doing some in-depth videos soon. In the meantime Justin Geis has made a great video showing off the main the main features https://youtu.be/tUU5D13nBJs Definitely worth a watch, if you haven’t already.
2 Likes
  1. I’m using the numpad
  2. good that’s essential
  3. that’s it or/with text maybe
  4. good luck I’m looking forward for your next releases (I watched the video but I had difficulty to follow it)
    Thanks

So I’ve had a few messages now about using the Numpad and it changing view when entering numbers. I’ve now introduced a new preference that will stop this happening but still allow camera changes if Ctrl is held. So you’ll be able to use the Numpad as is (change camera orientation) or use it as a number input and then hold the ctrl key to use to change camera orientation. I’ll release an update soon for this. In the meantime, you should just be able to use the number row for number input.
Send me a direct message with any usage issues you’re having or join my Discord https://discord.gg/Gfcswn and I’ll guide you through things.

2 Likes

Hello, great plugin, thank you. One question, i don’t know how difficult it is to get handles to the vertices (especially in object mode and outside of the curve-context)? I’m coming from 2D and with handles/bezier curves it would be a big step in the direction of 2D design, then Blender “only” should improve the svg converting and then it could be the almost the “Illustrator“ of 3D, what could be a great motivation for 2D designers to get into the 3D world. But as i said, just a fantasy, the plugin and your response are great as i see. br

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for the comment. I like the idea and in fact it was mentioned in the comments previously to look into using Blender’s curves, which is on my list. I think this is great for 2D plan work but I’m unsure how the handles would work in 3D and what you’d gain by having them. Have you seen any examples of this in action before?

Have you seen flexi bezier tool
(Flexi Bezier Tool)

3 Likes