DECALmachine

And I have responded on youtube already.

It works for every material with a Principled PBR shader node at the end as mentioned at 1:47 and https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/match_material/ MACHIN3tools has nothing to do with it.

1 Like

It fails because the boolean that is done at the very beginning of the Slice process, fails.
The Boolean fails, because your cutter has geometry exactly on top of geometry in the target mesh. That’s how you have created it after all.

You can either move your cutter slightly on all three axis, or edit the mesh directly. You will then also have to do some manual cleanup, because your panel will have a number of “double edges”, that are very close to each other.

If you want I can demo it tomorrow, but would suggest you try it yourself first.

1 Like

Yes it’s possible in 2.79 and will be possible in 2.80 soon. That said, I don’t recommend you go do it in 2.79 now.

1-2 months. Very likely before the Blender release in July.

1 Like

alright… will try this out for myself!

Why do you not recommend using the 2.79 version ? if its not possible in 2.8 and you recommend not to use the 2.79 DM then I probabely have to give up using Decalmachine for the decals :scream:

Mostly becuase it’s old and clunky and you can’t easily move decal assets from 2.79 to 2.80 or the other way around.

PSA: The latest Blender build 27d097e92d54, May 13th, breaks DECALmachine, in particular Material Matching, which of course is done automaticalyl when inserting decals and when using Re-Apply.

I suggest you turn Auto-Match off in the DM panel for now.

A fix may require an update to all decal assets.

2 Likes
2 Likes

v1.8.2 is out | Gumroad | BlenderMarket

Gumroad users: Use the download link in your receipt. You can re-send the receipt from your library, if necessary.

About 1.8.2

This is an unplanned release, but necessary because rB8f71a84496a9 breaks Material Matching and with it the Re-Apply tool and Decal Insertion.

To fix the issue introduced in that commit, DECALmachine will just ignore the Alpha and Emission parameters of the Princibled PBR shader node for now. So, both of these are not material matched .
To properly support those material inputs, all decal assets will need to be updated, which is much more involded and will be done for the 1.9 release.

GPanel

GPanel was supposed to go into 1.9 as well, but I’ve decided to release it early now - and without full documentation. It may need some more testing and work, so be warned.

Gpanel creates panel decals from grease pencil strokes.

To use it, take the Grease Pencil and lay down strokes on the surface of a mesh object. The Line shape of the Grease pencil tool is very handy and I recommend you use that. Note however, that - for me at least - it has a tendency to crash Blender.

Leave gaps between each stroke and be aware of the order and direction you draw the strokes in. Panel decals will be created based on that order.
When done, you can use the Grease Pencil Sculpt tool with SHIFT pressed to smooth out the spaces.

After that, go into object mode and choose GPanel from the DECALmachine pie menu. You can hold down SHIFT or CTRL to modiy its behavior.
By default no connections are made, but with SHIFT the gaps between strokes are closed. With CTRL you make the panel decal cyclic.
You can optionally also set these options in the Redo Panel . You can also set the segments for the connections there.

GPanel always works on the active Grease Pencil layer and will hide a layer, once a panel decal is created from it.

PIL

From this version forward, DECALmachine will install PIL 6.0.0. If you have installed the previous 5.4.1 already, no action is required on your part, 5.4.1 works just fine.
If you want, you can purge your existing PIL installation from the DECALmachine preferences and install the new one, but it’s completely optional.

The installation process has been improved and will now remove any PIL found in the modules folder. There were a few people who attemted to install PIL like it was done in the 1.4 era: by moving a pre-compiled PIL into the modules folder.
Besides being error prone, this will also interfere with how PIL is loaded now (from the user folder).

Fixes

In addtion to the material matching fix above, there has been a raycasting fix, where decals wouldn’t align properly to modifier geometry.
This was due to a change introduced in Blender a813e259d630 https://developer.blender.org/rBa813e259d630), shortly before the initial 1.8 release.

5 Likes

the G-Panel tool has potential! tested it for some hours and was pleased with the results. Some of the downsides is that it required allot of manual clean-up since the strips would be “uneven” or “overlapping” which luckily improves a bit with bigger gaps between corners. I did encounter another issue where the default library decals suddenly appeared black:

They don’t require any cleanup for me and I they unwrap fine for me too. Use it as described above.

I want to point out once more that I don’t to support in this thread, if you have issues get support properly:
https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/faq/#get-support

The black decals are a rare Blender/Eevee issue I can’t do anything about. The decals don’t change. DECALmachine is not causing this. Restart Blender.

edit: You realize, that the bridge tool not unwrapping properly by itself, is an issue with Blender’s bridge tool, right?
To let DEALmachine do the Unwrapping, you need to use the Unwrap tool. Please read/watch the docs.

1 Like

thank you for making clear the issue is with Blender. And yes I used the unwrap tool from DMachine… and made the ignorant mistake of overlooking a triangle which caused the issue! it works perfectly after removing it.

Will use the support channel in the future :blush:

1 Like

Please do. Things that land in my inbox become items on my todo list. If people properly report a bug I know immediately what versions they run, what other addons they have, that my interfere, I see proper error messages from the terminal, and get blend files causing issues.

If people post vague messages without any of the required info for me to investigate, and if they post on twitter, youtube, blender artists, polycount, blender market, reddit or stack overflow. It all becomes a painful mess and at worst, misrepresents my work.

1 Like

PSA: the latest Blender builds 3076544c8c52 (windows) and d726d7e462d9 (linux, macos), break DECALmachine and I assume many other addons, because of various depsgraph changes, including the removal of scene.update()

See https://developer.blender.org/rBe693918d40741b0839cea84d2e0c386cc262e0c3

1 Like

Lovely… on the upside they “promised” to stop breaking things after this week :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

thats actually great news!! looking forward to this and Blender’s 2.8 official release!

v1.8.3 is out | Gumroad

You need to run the latest Blender builds with this release.

• fix recent depsgraph issues
  • improve raycast and raycast performance

Warning

There are some issues with how decal normal maps are rendered right now, at the time of release.
The issue is supposedly fixed already, but likely won’t be available on build bot releases until tomorrow.

1 Like

Hm, today’s build 06c4139a6833 supposed to include this fix, right?

Is that just me, or it actually didn’t?

You are seeing the aliasing of the alpha, not the interpolation issues referred to.

The aliasing is/was no problem, if properly material matched - completely invisible. I talk about it in the Decal Creation video.

The recent interpolation issue, has improved by that commit, but it’s still not a good as it was before. Info decals are also affected, espcecially when inverted.

I’m going to splt out all alpha channels from nrm_alpha and color_alpha maps and disable the use_alpha setting for the images. This will get rid of the issues and and bring back perfect quality. It’s more involved however and requires a new tool, to convert all a user’s decals. It’s major pain in the ass to have this happen now after the 1.8 release, because I’ll also need a second tool to update existing decaled scenes now. It’s going to be in 1.9.

4 Likes

Actually, this most recent commit, may resolve this.

If so, then only a small adjustment in code - setting the proper alpha mode - would be required.

1 Like

v1.8.4 is out | Gumroad

This is a hotfix, for the Slice tool, which as a result of the recent depsgraph changes, didn’t clear the panel decal material slots properly anymore, which in some circumstances could lead to invisible panel decals.

3 Likes