DECALmachine

v1.8.5 is out | Gumroad

This is a hotfix for Decal Creation. Height map creation and instant decal insertion from the panel were broken due to the recent depsgraph changes.

2 Likes

This is first class responsivenessā€¦ :+1::+1:
immediately reported and in less than an hour the problem is solved.

Advice: for all those who ā€œdiscoverā€ a problem, respecting the procedure of reporting by email is simple, fast and above all much more efficient for the author of the addon (MACHIN3)

Congratulations.

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting this. I thought I got all the despgraph issues with 1.8.3, but those were some deep changes, and more changes were made after I had 1.8.3 out.

3 Likes

Hi, is there any way to symmetrize decals on object like in older versions?

It works the same as before, using mirror mods. Decals are just objects. Make sure to flip U as well.

Optionally, use MACHIN3tools:

Thank you for quick answer, got it now :slight_smile: bought all of your addons and trying to get a grip. Keep up awesome work!

1 Like

Right now (if Iā€™m not wrong) Decal creation is focused to obtain decals with depth but without any kind of aldebo texture info, so I can create with ease a button from a mesh but if that button had a logo on its color texture that info wonā€™t transfer onto the decal bakes. Info decals have albedo information but lack depth.

Right now Iā€™m repainting my decals with that info manually, so my question is: is there a way to get a fully colored decal? if not, will it be possible in future releases?

Thanks

1 Like

I will be looking into textured decals for 1.9 or 2.0, which would allow you to use textures for at least color, roughness and metallic channels.

2 Likes

The interpolation issues on the transparent borders of decals introduced in a Blender build 2 weeks ago or so, seem to be gone now by the way:

7 Likes

In the future would it be possible to add a Color adjustment and noise channel to 2D decals? I would like to be able to add wear and tear to decals with out having to go though and preprocess them. Iā€™m trying to make the decals sit in better with an aged and weathered surface.

Is there a step by step absolute beginner tutorial video for this add-on? Some link to it?

Yup, a bazillion videos https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/

2 Likes

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

John Grelloā€™s DECALmachine + Eevee corridor test with glas decals:

Preview of EPanel, based on a suggestion by John, which turns edges or edge objects into panel decals.

6 Likes

Matching textures, esp. ones with object space uvs, was always possible, but I didnā€™t talk about it much, because it needs more work to really automate it.
Iā€™ve now found a way to support generated UVs as well, which is the mapping type used by default by Blenders procedural textures.
Again, quite a bit more work is needed to make this easy and effortless to use - to not have to dig through node trees - but itā€™s a start.

3 Likes

Follow up to the previous video: A slightly modified approach works for image textures in normal UV space as well. This has some small artifacts here and there, but works well enough

Again, keep in mind, this needs more work to be fully automated.

6 Likes

Since the default projection mode in DM conforms to the targetā€™s topology and is not just a simple subd + shrinkwrap, you can easily project on even complex geometries like grating, with the expected result.
The only thing to be aware of is that the decalā€™s origin is not on top of an empty region of the grating or the raycast will select another target object behind the grate. To avoid this, you can force-set a target object by selecting it last.

Model by @masterxeon1001

2 Likes

I was looking for a decal solution in Blender. I am used to Unreal Engine 4 deferred decals, which are awesome. Then I realized that decalmachine is just for stamping depth decals or basic color - no go. You really do need to support all PBR channels for this to be really useful. Even then, Blender with your addon is far from user friendliness of UE4 decals, I can just hope some day Blender will catch up.

This is misrepresenting what DM does.

Blender canā€™t do deferred decals, and itā€™s not something I can just add. Blenders renderers just donā€™t work like that.
That doesnā€™t stop you from creating assets in Blender and later exporting to Unity or UE4 however.

1 Like

I understand that Blender unfortunately canā€™t reach the level of UE4 user friendliness in decals. But you said yourself in an earlier message, that you are investigating adding textured decals for color, roughness and metallic channels. If you get that done, THEN your addon would be very valuable for me. Right now it isnā€™t.