DECALmachine

@Tmammela what version of UE4 are you using ? in current release deferred decals are bugged and rarely working making it unsuitable for most projects.
Also you can add the roughness/metalness by baking masks or making them in Photoshop. Its what I did for my latest project. 90% of my personal decals are either just normal detail stamps or colored logos but I understand the need for your request.

For me DecalMachine is very userfriendly. It just requires you to spend some time reading the documentations to fully understand its capabilities.

@PolyGreen I tried to search the documentation and examples and nowhere did I find what I was looking for. Maybe Iā€™m dumb or the documentation hard to use. But you seem to know this addon better, so I ask you:

Can I, or can I not, transfer for example this decal: https://www.poliigon.com/texture/city-street-road-asphalt-repair-patch-008

So that alpha masked base color, normal and roughness is transferred from the decal to the surface?

what do you mean by ā€œtransferā€ ? and why would you need D3calmach3 if you already have the particular decal you want ? to display them in Blender, or maybe to pack them into an atlas texture ?

I think D3calmach3, as is now, has a purpose for sci-fi/mechanical models only; for these types of models normal/mask/color is all you need imo.

You could always manually pack these organic decals in Photoshop with decals from D3calmach3.

Why? I want to do in Blender what can be done in UE4, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fHtcCc3No0

To render scenes in Blender Cycles with easily added decal details without messing with uvs.

Batch Decal Creation preview, coming in 1.9

9 Likes

v1.8.6 is out | Gumroad

• Decal Defaults
    • add toggle for decal texture storage
      • pack: textures are saved in the blend (heavy blend files, that load everywhere)
      • unpack: textures are not saved in the blend (light blend files, that load on computers with the same decal asset folder)
    • can be (un)toggled at any time
  • Project
    • clear existing uvs and make sure the decal has only one uv map
    • make sure faces of projected decals have material index of 0, otherwise joining decals may mix up materials
    • fix issue when finding target
    • fix projection preview drawing being in xray in modal mode, due change in default Blender behavior
  • Slice
    • clear existing uvs and make sure the decal has only one uv map
    • improve direction vectors in default(float) mode
  • Insert
    • allow adding decals on evaluated geo (such as on mirrored parts of objects)
  • DECALmachine Pie Menu
    • increase panel width precision to 3
  • Preferences
    • fix broken decal asset libraries ui list, due to API change
    • update decal resource links
  • update matching of default-white material/None material
  • fix issue when removing old version and installing new one in the same Blender session
  • various raycast and performance improvements
5 Likes

Bake Decals Preview

All you have to do is pick one or multiple objects with UVs and Decals and hit bake.
There is an option to automatically preview any or all of the main texture maps (Color, Normal, AO, Subset Mask) directly on your objects.
You can then also easily restore the original state of the materials again.

Note, that his does not actually bake the object colors/materials. It only bakes the decals themselves.

10 Likes

Nice! Cant wait to try it out .Looks a lot easier to use than the 2.7 blender version.

1 Like

These upcoming features are looking great.

Any progress with atlasing since 1.8? Iā€™d love to use this to make and apply decal sheets for a uv-less game art pipeline, but it doesnā€™t seem like that can be done currently.

https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/faq/#can-you-bake-the-decal-normal-maps-to-a-single-normal-map

Ah, good to know.

Will it allow using the same decal atlas across multiple meshes?

Iā€™m getting a strange thing with DecalMachine in 2.80 where each time I access it, it starts rebuilding the thumbnails for the libraries, but it is painfully slow, to the point of not being usable. I have an older build of blender 2.80 and decalmachine on my system and the thumbnails are fine for that. Is this related to blender builds?

How recent is your Blender build? Is it from around June 30th? In that case, update Blender.
See https://twitter.com/machin3io/status/1145292503828062211

This is quite interesting. How do you go about baking? Last time I checked, the baking in 2.8 was in pretty bad state, both performance and feature-wise. Do you use Blenderā€™s baking tools or some custom ones? I wanted to create procedural shading workflow similar to Substance Painter in Blender, so I would not have to leave Blender for asset creation, but the state of baking tools was so bad the workflow was just not feasible :confused:

I did wonder, thanks man, will do. I try not to update everyday simply because itā€™s a bit much to keep track of.

WIth Blender Internal gone, Iā€™m now baking using Cycles.It works well enough for my needs, but Iā€™m baking Normals and Emit only, as all Iā€™m doing is bake the existing decal textures to the target object.

So you are baking all the channels like color, roughness, etcā€¦ using emitā€¦? Yeah, that one works. Also, not sure if you are aware of this: https://devtalk.blender.org/t/why-is-texture-baking-so-mind-meltingly-slow/5653/2?u=rawalanche

Basically, if you update your script to set they Cycles tile size to match the resolution of baked texture, you should get much faster baking :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve tried this a while ago, but have not seen the drastic speed improvements you are seeing. Might be due to me baking using CPU vs GPU. Iā€™ll try again in a bit and switch to GPU baking, if itā€™s available on a users machine.

How do you mirror decals?

This question comes up every now and then, so Iā€™ve finally covered it explicitely in the docs: https://machin3.io/DECALmachine/docs/decals/#mirror

2 Likes

If you are a MacOS user, donā€™t run the RC. Use the newer experimental build instead.

On the RC PIL installation is also broken(like numpy for MESHmachine, MACHIN3tools and others), ensurepip throws a memory error when importing ctypes.