DECALmachine

Are here any Windows 8 users? Is it working for you? I’ve reason to think it won’t and you’ll need a special PIL version. This is also definitely true for 32bit users. If you are either, please get in touch via email @ [email protected] Thanks.

WIN 7 X64 and DM v1.3b

In this new version you say:
“added a warning on windows and macos, when trying to create decals using an unsaved blender scene”

Unless I’m wrong, but I just created a new decal (decals02) without having any message while I never saved my scene.

• creation of my basic geometry
  • selection of objects
  • click Ctrl+Shift+Alt +[d]
  • Normal creation of the decal without any error
  • I quit BLENDER without any backup of the scene

Oh, win7 excellent, did not expect that, so that would suggest win 8 should also work. Because the PIL you are using was compiled on Windows 10 and seems to working perfectly.

Ok so the warning message will only appear if your blender actually has a problem with an unsaved file. I’ve personally seen it happen on windows, but have had a report of it happening on macos today and not on windows, so it’s a bit of a mystery. Might have to do with user rights. Are you working as an admin with full privileges?

So, in any case, it’s best to save the scene manually before starting decal creation, but if it’s not producing a warning for you then fine, no problem, all is going well. The file will be saved by DM even if you don’t save it manualy by the way, For me it goes in my home folder and it’s called untitled.blend. Somewhere in your system there’s now also a untitled.blend containing the source geo of your last decal, ha.

Yes I am admin with full privileges . . . (at Home) :slight_smile:

For me, for the moment I had no problem when creating a decal.

Just note that all images of the icons are done in 128x128 pixels.
Nothing disturbing since it has no influence on the decal itself. . .

Are you sure? They should be 256x256 with instant decal creation and 512x512 when doing batch. Please confirm.

I confirm . . . But I repeat that this has no influence on the decal itself, nor in the preview of them.

Oh crap, is your render resolution set to 50% in the render tab, in your default scene? I’m not setting it to 100%, so it just takes what you have there. Gonna fix it.

Thanks for reporting this!

Eureka . . . :slight_smile:

I know why the images are not the right size …
When creating these images, the rendering resolution is taken into account. . . And I am often on 25% or 50% …

I am having trouble installing this addon. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong but I keep getting these errors:

I am using windows 7 and Blender 2.78c. Please help.

Send an email to [email protected]. Looks like a missing dll on your system. This is gonna require some back and forth.
In the meantime, you can rename the create.py in DECALmachine/operators/ to create.py.bak for instance. This will diasble decal creation but all the rest will keep working.

Oh, also, PIL should not be in the addons folder. What’s it doing there?

Edit: nevermind, me tired and stupid…

Just wondering if I could get some advice on best practices for baking decals? Using the instant decal maker is nice but I seem to be getting issues with the parallax effect

Made an image illustrating the issue: https://i.imgur.com/nxw0YdP.jpg

@aMars

You have the possibility to correct the effect of parallax directly in the node editor . . .

Exemple of object:

. . . and result

Do not forget that your decal is mainly based on your Normal Map, so do not hesitate to give a lot of angle to your geometry of your object.
Hoping to help … :slight_smile:

1 Like

@FreeAccess I’ve tried adjusting the settings in the decal material, can’t seem to get anything usable. Admittedly maybe I just don’t know what I’m doing, I’m not very familiar with cycles materials. Part of the problem appears to be that the heightmap that decalmachine generates is extremely shallow compared to the included decals.

Reading the documentation I also tried building a full box, I also thought it might be related to the units of my scene (I work in meters 0.1) so I tried setting it to none like the sample decal sources included… Didn’t seem to make a difference.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

If this can help you …
I try to reproduce your geometry, perform a Bake and. . . It’s not too bad :eyebrowlift:

and result on a cube . .

Here I have not changed anything in the node editor

1 Like

I can’t really tell what your result is like, the image is small and the box is dark but it’s apparent that the quality of the depth/parallax effect is way better on the left decal.

This is my result straight from instant decal with no material editing:

1 Like

Email please: Send me your source geo and the decal it produces, incl the textures. The black offset stuff tells me something might have gone wrong with the height map, specifically its mid level.

Also try creating decals from assets/create/sources/ blends and see if these work out. If they will be broken something is fishy.

Parallax mapping is not perfect and its certainly not displacement.You should probably avoid doing multi level intrusions. Also extrusions(going up) don’t work too well.
Things that work really well, is having a center piece at about 0 level, and then cut into the surface around it. The demo pieces for parallax mapping are always bricks, maybe think of it like this.

I’ll try and put out a video/blog post about best practices.

Using your sample scenes seems to work really well.

Left: The decal that comes with DecalMachine
Right: Me running instant decal on the source blend

The one I ran through instant decal myself does seem more shallow, but the quality of the parallax is still very good.

I’ll send you an email with my source files.

For everybody who was/is struggling with it, here’s how to install DECALmachine 1.3 on a fresh blender installation.
Also on the blogin more elaborate form.

Hello and thanks for great addon!
I have an issue with INFO decal creation via INFO.blend template with next error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “H:\blender\Addons\DECALmachine_v1.3c\DECALmachine\assets\create emplate
s\INFO.blend\Create_Info_Decal.py”, line 9, in <module>
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘H:\blender\Addons\DE
CALmachine_v1.3c\DECALmachine\assets\create\ emplates\py\INFO.py’
Error: Python script fail, look in the console for now…