dig world problem

I am usung vegetablejuicef blockplacement made easy script but it is not placing the blocks on top of mine.Could it be the size of the blocksin my dig world blend?Here is the blend.Control to move forwards press w.Control to turn press x.

Attachments

dig world.blend (2.01 MB)

Please clean up your blend:
The objects used are not named and organized
The walking system is a mess!
By accident I found that the actual game starts when you walk over the edge of your plane.
Please add some textures or colors, its hard to see what i am looking at when everything is gray.

Those make helping you quite hard.

Why are you using a world where each block is not of unit size( amess of 5.9x5.9x4.1) with a block that is 2x2x2 on script that uses 1x1x1 unit cubes?
Also you didn’t apply scale to your blocks.

EDIT:
Why do you make your world have random sizes when you can make the world unit size (each block’s size is 1x1x1). Then scale yourself down to 0.25 scale, same result.
If that is not how you roll, then world handling scripts become harder to code
(which will be your bulk of code).

Okay,
the result of half an hour of using all the scripts I have done and used regarding “how do i do block worlds”:

http://i.imgur.com/RtKLh4q.gif
plus
http://i.imgur.com/bZRAh97.gif
plus
driftless movement + triple jump
plus
mouselook

http://i.imgur.com/v00mhKT.gif

Attachments

blockWorldEasyDemo.blend (632 KB)

Are those really blocks and how much lag you are getting.It has got to be at least 30 fps.It looks like it is
not all digable.Was that your intention?I would rather dig and fall off to oblivion.If I cannot add another level underneath without lag.Couldn’t you make it so a ten by ten grid of cubes could be digable only straight down in particular area?And then delete the top level when you dig two levels down.And then repeat that when you dig through another level.

Would it be possible to move a ten by ten grid of cubes into the shape of the cube floor?Then change the visibilty of the cube floor by animating a material and controlling the visibilty with python.You could make it look like glass i know. Those cubes could be made static ghost or invisible.Or you could make it a thirty
by thirty grid of cubes and do what I said with those.

I don’t know if you are joking ,but I can make all of that in ten minutes.
You should be able to do most of it in 15 min.

Those are trivial things.
I just didn’t want to clutter the code with new stuff.
Just wanted o recreate what you “have”.

All of what you would want, can be done with a dictionary object in python.

First digest the code, see how well it performs, then ask what you want.

I think we can fake a larger area with a no collision mesh making it look like glass in certain areas.That the
player controlled character is near.

I will try to decipher what you ask:

You want to dig down, but that only in one place. WHY?

You want it only to be possible in a area of 10by10 or a circle.
Why?

Why do you want to change visibility?

“I think we can fake a larger area with a no collision mesh and making it invisible and making it look like glass in certain areas.”
What is this all about?

It seems that you want to limit yourself because you feel that would give you performance increase.
That increase would be minimal.
Is it a feature or limitation?

I am just trying to make it work within the limits of the blender game engine.I don’t want the frame rate to go down to much.I want it to be a least a framerate of thirty.That is why I am proposing all this.

Don’t limit yourself that way,
blender can do wonders if you listen to what people tell you.

http://i.imgur.com/Gr4sxPT.gif
:eyebrowlift2:

Develope the features first and then, when necessary, throttle. Do it after not before.

Anyway,
in my example, get this:
the editable area ( 2 by 2) follows you and the rest goes from physical -> ghost
(and possibly later-> invsible -> deleted).
No need to make that area static somewhere like you weere saying.

Which example are you talking about?The one you showed or another one.All i can do right now is copy and paste.Here is my blend with color.

Attachments

dig world.blend (2.08 MB)

I meant both.

but here it seen quite well:
http://i.imgur.com/RtKLh4q.gif
The ghost cubes and the cubes that have physics enabled.
You can see the interactive “10by10” area following the player.

Did you look at my blend.Not all computers can handle yours can they?

Yes i did, and mine will work better and faster.

Also you can easily turn down the view distance, interactive distance and chunk size.
CHUNK_SIZE = 2
VIEW_DISTANCE = 16
PHYS_DISTANCE = 2

Also, my a intel hd400 on a laptop isn’t the fastest graphics card.

Full digging feature to depth of -256 ( or your choosing ).
Persistent world, can leave area and come back and changes are still there.

Digging is done so that only the new blocks that would be visible will be spawned if a floor block is removed.
This is most efficient; 100+ times better than to spawn all height layers.
I can dig up video showing how it works if you want.

Attachments

blockWorldEasyDemo.blend (637 KB)

Since something like marching cubes algorithm is not possible to be implimented.Could you make it so that there are different types of slant cutes you can make including the cube cut?Because i would rather go up a slant than jump up.

Amazing, VegetableJuiceF

Marching cubes is totally possible.
You need read and understand the demo from solarlune everyone keeps telling you about.

Slope blocks: Can’t you make it?
Just create that block and tell the worldhandler when to spawn that instead of the normal one.
You would have to calculate the direction of the slope though.
Really easy, but needs to be pointed out i guess.

Well, could you remake this with saveable version? Maybe something like block IDs and than just hit ESC and your maps is saved? In that case there might be something like multiple text files for each layer, at least I think so…

Each cube could be composed of these for inclines.
Do you have a better idea how to do it?

Attachments

broken cubes.blend (493 KB)