e-cigs vs tobacco

As they walk by, guess who is the e-cigs smokers, who doesn’t, and who is the “normal” smoker.

Attachments

For the record I don’t go around trying to derail conversations or anything. I find that in face to face conversations the topic tends to change from one subject to another. I find this to be the natural flow of any given conversation.

On-line forums tend to limit people to the original topic which I feel makes on-line interaction more mechanical, as in unnatural. Personally I think it makes on-line interaction rather boring, impersonal and leaves me feeling rather disconnected or distant from those with whom I am conversing.

I’m not trying to take a jab at the moderators or anything, I understand that they have a business to run and they are certainly welcome to run that business in any manner in which they please. Merely pointing out that, in my opinion, forums make it hard to get to know someone, they make it hard to be human.

It doesn’t bother me if the conversation gets a bit derailed, I just don’t think drugs are something that can be discussed on this forum (or many other internet forums either for that matter) in a civil manner.

@Morio: Probably true, I suppose, to the best of my recollection, I’ve never really had a conversation about drugs on-line so it never occurred to me that it might be a touchy subject.

So much is a touchy subject these days. I often say that people talk about the weather so much simply because it’s one of the very few things people can talk about without getting into a fist fight. On that note the weather is lovely here today :slight_smile:

“Ich dampfe” how we germans would say it. about 2 or 3 weeks, never touched a cigarette in this time, and find it quite amusing how everyone, smoker and non-smoker, come to me and tryin to disabuse me. how harmful this could be. thats the natural instinkt of everyboy against somthing new, somthing indefinable, something hi-tech.

The “Liquid”, the “tbacco” of the e-cig, usually contains 5 ingrediens : Propylenglycol (the stuff that comes out of an fogmachine in clubs or Concerts), vegetable Glycerine, water , and some Aroma, and some nicotine. thats it. compared to the hundreds of additves that the mix to the normal Ciggarettes. thats a huge difference.

With this, i wont say this is like the air on a flowerfield but even there ar no longterm studies, in my opinion everyone who does smoke, should change. everyone who dont smoke, dont start it you dont need to, but calm down. the air in a medium city is way more toxic than the smoke that occure when someone smokes a e-cig in your surrounding.

And Yes I know smoking is very bad for my health

I smoke like a chimney and then some. I did get a starter kit, and I was amazed how well it helped me. Just for laughs I hold myself for a whole weekend not even thinking about it (I was puffing like crazy though :)). I probably ended up with more nicotine in my body from puffing than I get from regular smoking, but being forced to be rather active in life, I gained added stamina during my workouts during times I often replaced smoke with e-cig. So I’m positive it could help me reduce, or even quit, actual smoking.

However, as they’re so eager (over here) to ban them, I don’t use them anymore. I’m saving the remains for the times I really really really need them, like for train trips and so on (since banned on planes, flying is a complete no-go for me). I’ve tried quitting a few times, and I’ve tried some rather heavy doses of other ways to get nicotine into my system, but they’ve all had little to no effect at all. But I was rather shocked how well e-cigs worked for me, I sure didn’t expect it.

So although nicotine is bad for ya (especially for me), I think all those other things (tar, CO etc) in regular smoke is having a far worse effect than the actual nicotine. Yes, I know its a very potent poison in purer forms.

I would rather smoke a cigarette than things that are starting to look more and more like lightsabers…

@ dantefrizzoli

“Thats the spirit, man”

For 18+ of age.

Hey Folks … 30 Days Tobacco “smoking” Free.

My advise . Set a goal for yourself, and do not get caught up in the “bigger is better” .
Lots of information out …and miss-information… do your own research!

1. Start small and Educate yourself.

• Ask yourself , what is the goal.?
  2. What is involved?

>>>>>>> More about harm reduction I hope, and not about self…

All the best,

Bye,

Always a great suggestion!!!

I did some looking into the subject not long ago and found that television ads and such tend to make it seem worse, I mean the way they display the numbers make it sound as though if you smoke you’re going to get cancer. According to Wikipedia approaximately 17.2% of male smokers will develop lung cancer, 11.6% of female smokers and really those odds aren’t that bad. If I were a betting man I might take those odds.

Anyway specifically relating to e-cigs wikipedia states that several studies suggest that smoking can reduce your risk of Alzheimers disease and Parkinson’s disease by half. While it has been suggested that nicotine alone could reduce the risk of Alzheimers it is apparently likely that’s not the case due to the importance of MAO-B inhibitors of tobacco preventing neurodegenerative diseases. So in this particular case it would seem that the cigarette might help prevent certain neurodegenerative diseases while the e-cig probably would not.

Another interesting thing that is nothing more than heresay. I once compared two line graphs. One illustrating the number of smokers in the US between the 1960’s and 2007, the other illustrating the number of lung cancer patients during the same time period. The interesting thing was that the number of smokers in the US dropped by roughly 50% while the number of lung cancer patients remained virtually the same, in fact actually went up a bit. If there were such a direct link between lung cancer and tobacco smoking wouldn’t you expect those two bar graphs to be somewhat similar? At least a small drop in lung cancer cases to reflect the decline in tobacco smoking.

Having said that, I am NOT a doctor, scientist or in any way affiliated with medical research.

Edit: Interesting the mobile version of wikipedia lists 17.2% as the percentage of male smokers likely to get lung cancer and the non-mobile version lists that as roughly 22%. Whatever, it’s wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt right.

Another interesting thing I read is that some studies have suggested that smoking may cause schizophrenia, however it was later suggested and apparently likely to be not that smoking causes schizophrenia, but that schizophrenia tends to cause smoking. It was also suggested that smoking may ease the effects of schizophrenia.

One theory I’ve been toying around with to explain the discrepancy between the two line graphs I compared was that smoking may not cause lung cancer, but people who tend to smoke may already be at risk of developing cancer for entirely different reasons.

What I mean is that apparently the lion’s share of smokers smoke to relieve stress, that smokers tend to be a bit more stressed out than non-smokers and smoking is not the cause, but simply a result of this stress. Could it be that stress is what’s killing people and smoking is merely a sign of elevated levels of cancer causing stress?

Moreover I find it likely that the ‘placebo effect’ could work both ways. Which is to say if you tell smokers that they’re going to die of cancer then their stress levels increase due to the added worry associated with believing that they’re killing themselves with cigarettes thus increasing their likelihood of getting cancer, not because of smoking but because they’re stressed out because they were told smoking was going to give them cancer.

Through studies, and all of these, the use of leaves and the effects on the human body, not to mention addictive qualities.

Attachments

The Wikipedia article also indicated that smokers are more likely to get divorced, I found this funny because I don’t think one can honestly blame tobacco for a marriage falling apart. It’s funny, smokers tend to smoke in order to relieve stress, what’s funny here is that if you’ve got a spouse that’s constantly nagging you to quit smoking this nagging is probably stressing you out and ultimately making you want to smoke more.

Edit:
My girlfriend and I have been together for just over eight years, during the first year she used to constantly nag me about my smoking. I like to joke around that I may very well be the only man in America to have won that argument :slight_smile:

A few months ago she walked into a tobacco store to pick up a bag of tobacco for me. The guys in the store apparently thought she was only in there to use the phone or something, anything but buy tobacco for her boyfriend. She told them how she’s okay with my smoking now and that she was actually buying tobacco for me. One guy in the store handed her his cell phone saying “you need to call and talk to my fiancee for me.” HAHA

Smokers and Non-smokes

READ ALL ABOUT IT :eek: ----> with a open mind i hope.

Best website on the subject of harm reduction. --------->>>>> http://casaa.org/

Have fun, see you in 30 days. :slight_smile:

@bingoul, my best wishes on quitting smoking. Keep it up!

My mother in law was diagnosed SCLC last year and it looked like she was fully recovered by Christmas but then she started losing weight fast and the doctors said the tumor returned, started another round of chemo last month.

That’s about the same chance as in traditional russian roulette. Just saying.

@ fjuhec , family and loved ones… I am very sorry to hear.
I know what a difficult time this is.
My prayers go out to you-all.

Personally I agree that quitting smoking is probably not a bad idea. I posted some information about some of the positive effects of smoking because the negative effects get so much press, but I feel it’s important to see both sides of the story in any given situation so that the individual has everything they need to make up their own mind.

The fact is that even with e-cigs, patches and nicotine gum most people are not going to be successful in their effort to quit smoking. I may be wrong, but I think that scaring the dickens out of smokers, especially those who just can’t seem to shake the habit, might actually make their risk of certain health effects even worse.

As a smoker, but not a medical professional, some things I would recommend to those who either can’t shake the habit or are unwilling to shake the habit perhaps it would be of benefit to help put your mind at ease by trying to balance out the negative health effects by increasing healthy activities in other areas of your life.

For instance fast food is often chided for having exorbitant amounts of artery clogging cholesterol, as a smoker far be it for me to point the finger at others for unhealthy activities, but if you’re a smoker that can’t shake the habit consider lowering your intake of unhealthy foods and increasing your intake of healthy foods such as broccoli and hearty home cooked meals.

Also consider taking up some form of exercise, I myself ride a bicycle quite often and it’s a great cardiovascular workout, in addition I throw in the occasional push-up and sit-up. Obviously if you haven’t exercised in a while I wouldn’t recommend starting out with a 20 mile race, start out slow and increase your amount of exercise over time.

I really don’t know if any of that is good advice, maybe it is and maybe it isn’t, but at the very least adding some healthy activities and reducing unhealthy activities in other areas of your life might help add some peace of mind that certainly couldn’t be a bad thing.

Just my two cents. Best of luck to all those who wish to extend their life expectancy.

P.S. If you’re looking for that Wikipedia article I quoted here’s a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_tobacco

Edit: For instance, my brother is a fairly heavy smoker and he also eats fast food for almost every meal. This may very well be the perfect storm for a stroke since smoking can apparently shrink blood vessels the added cholesterol makes it even more likely that a stroke will occur. And yes he has been to a doctor who told him he needs to cut out the fast food. Personally I eat fast food probably less than a dozen times a year, that certainly doesn’t make me the world’s healthiest person, but I’m sure it helps to balance things out a bit.

2:32 - 3:42 in the video. Hope everyone grasps the implications.

Make your voice heard, you may help someone close to you. A father,mother,gradfather wife or your own child.

http://freetovape.org