Geometry Node Logs

Hi Folks!

As some of you know, I do a lot of log home visualization projects. Typically I have been using a full geometry log, and material with some success, and then using the array modifier to build up the walls.

A while back I saw this article on Blender Nation:

I am wondering if something similar could be used to create the logs with random (slight) variations in them as well as the various knots and things

I will start off by saying I have exactly NO experience with geometry nodes, and I would like to use this as a learning project as well. The problem is, I dont even know what to search for to try to find the tutorials I need

If someone can point me in the right direction, I’d be really grateful –

Thanks
TIM

1 Like

Hi TIM.

Sure - variations would be like in the Blender Bob video, but things like knots would need to be implemented in the Material Editor.

Check out Sozap’s Abandoned House thread for more ideas on where to start:

Also check you Gorgious’ Medieval Castle thread:

Lots of topics get covered and may give you an idea on what to search for for your own project.

Good luck.

1 Like

Hello !

At first try to do some tutorials even if they aren’t related to your actual project. What matter the most is learning the tools and the logic of GN.
GN is really a different way to interact with 3D geometry, it’s still 3D but it’s a new universe on it’s own, so act if you were learning 3D again.

I’d recommend to focus on learning the system first, and exercise yourself to solve simple problems, like how to resize a curve, how to extrude. You need to learn to deconstruct modeling process into simple nodes operation ( given available node set) …

Once you have good basics it will be much simpler to work on your actual project, since it’s just an accumulation of problems to solve, or how to chain different operation using nodes.

Beginners mistake I see is to jump too soon on real life projects, without good basics it’s very easy to fail hard…

You can have a look here for tutorials and resources : Let's regroup Geometry Nodes Groups - Resources and Links

3 Likes