Google Maps Models Importer

Hi, the plugin works really great.
I am now using the Lily Capture Merger to stitch them together.
But I figure out that when stitching multiple tiles, the overlapping part may not be deleted.
If I stitch a with b, b with c, then c with a, the result may be misaligned.
Is there any way to deal with this?
p.s. not familiar with blender

update1: i manually cross compare those tiles and deleted the overlapped mesh successfully.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
first of all congratulation to Mink for this amazing addon, I used it with success in the past months
with GTX1060, Blender 2.81 alpha, Renderdocs 1.x and Vivaldi.
For some reason I can’t make it work anymore.
I tried avery damned combinaison of Blender/addon/renderdoc version, i spent hours on it with no success. Even with recommended Blender 2.82/latest addon.
The console says:

Read prefs: C:\Users\MASTER\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\config\userpref.blend
found bundled python: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.82\2.82\python
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\MASTER\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\MapsModelsImporter\google_maps_rd.py", line 186, in <module>
    main(controller)
  File "C:\Users\MASTER\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\MapsModelsImporter\google_maps_rd.py", line 168, in main
    texture_bind = bindpoints.samplers[-1].bind
IndexError: list index out of range

If someone wants to try this capture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jefbzxi6su3zc0/bo.rdc?dl=0
Thanks in advance!

Successfully imported to Blender with 1660ti GPU. Cleaned up import to include a single building only. Though how do I clean up geometry to make the mesh more usable? Decimate and remesh modifiers don’t work as intended. There are many floating and unnecessary vertices.

1 Like

Is anyone having issue with Chrome? Can’t capture anything it doesn’t allow 3d view. No matter what region selected. Ie New York, Miami every place says 3d view not available.

The latest version of Chrome when you go to google maps even with region set as United States.

It says 3d view not available when launched.

–disable-gpu-sandbox --gpu-startup-dialog

can someone tell me what version of chrome is working for them.

so I can downgrade chrome to that version.

Can you share a screenshot?

The latest up to date chrome.

…

so what I did is downloaded google chrome portable as work around found here.

And managed to capture scene.

File is around 50mb.

But when I try and import into blender with latest plugin 0.2.2

I get error.

Invalid RDC capture.

From googling around it seems to be do to render doc 1.6 being in opengl mode api.

But can’t find the solution for that to force it into D3D11.

I tried earlier plugin release but it gives same error.
And I am fairly certain I did capture correct set it to 5 second delay for frame capture. Orbited around the building. Tried it many times over and won’t import.

Update.

I have managed to fix it.

Uninstalled Chrome.

Installed latest version (Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Works now without issue.

Thanks for really interesting tool.

It does not work for me. Tried older versions of Google, and the current one. What happens is dialog opens, then in Renderdoc, when you hit the inject on the active GPU process, it makes the connection…and says an OpenGPU connection is made, then the whole process and frame hangs in google, and immediately start another process, which throws up another dialog, and in effect closes the previous window, and expects you to go through the whole thing again, you select the active process in the renderdoc window, and hit inject process, and it once again says ok, but then hangs and starts another process…

As an addendum to the above observation that capture currently DOES NOT WORK in Google 3d maps, in Chrome, using Renderdoc 1.6 and I tried either ChromeStandaloneSetup64-76.0.3809.100 and ChromeStandaloneSetup64-79.0.3945.88, which behaved as I described above. I’m running the latest Windows 10, on a AMD Radeon RX580 8 gig, using Driver version 26.20.15029.15007.

I now tried using the latest version of Renderdoc, ie 1.8, and the current version of Chrome, and this time it still does not work, although injection appears to take place successfully, with the status debug data overlay appearing in Chrome, but after appearing to attempt to open in OpenGL, Renderdoc flips back in Direct 3d mode, with API D3D11 (Active) appearing in Renderdoc, but captures thereafter are not of the 3d data, but of the 2d Google screen buffer.

I can’t get this to work anymore - I got it working fine a few months ago, but it appears to not work NOW. Please, it would be great if you could take a look at what is going on, I suspect Google has changed the way it is feeding the 3d data to the browser UI.

Hi @pixelwash I think you were following outdated instructions, cause it’s been a while since the right versions are last RenderDoc and last chrome, and also now the indended API is D3D11, no longer OpenGL. You can find instructions here: https://github.com/eliemichel/MapsModelsImporter/blob/master/README.md#usage

The, to get actual 3D rather than the 2D screen buffer, you have to make sure to move in the viewport while taking the capture.

Hi,
I need some help,
after stitching those map using merger
when using texture packer,
it loads a few minutes and blender just crash…

You can merge texture incrementally, starting with smaller areas, then merging them again as long as the texture resolution is supported by your computer.

thanks for your fast reply,
just figure out that the texture of the whole scene is too big,
which blender seems cant handle that large.
So i am now separating individual tiles.

YES!I got it to work again… this time it uses the direct 3d I see, I kept thinking because OpenGl was not working the capture was not working.

Thank you for your wonderful work. I’d love to give you a contribution, but the fact is I am barely scraping by myself. I work in a poorly paid position in an architects’ offices in California, amongst people who think it is smart to screw people in payment for services, being really into screwing immigrants in lieu of the lack of black people, lol.

I’m trying to change the attitude around my office for payment of services, time will tell…
Maybe some people in your country behave the same way? I’m originally from Australia, and here in California I feel as though I have stepped back into medieval times in terms of labor and personal relationships, its neofeudal here.

1 Like

My models are not importing properly.
Here is a screenshot

Hi @Rushil_Kejriwal could you share the .rdc file?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GUZK1EAWJMF29bzmHV5YhtmgK7na2gq5?usp=sharing
Here it is. It is happening with all the captures. Tried different blender versions and even a previous version of the addon.
Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Ok this truly was a bug, I released a new version fixing it: https://github.com/eliemichel/MapsModelsImporter/releases/tag/v0.3.2
Thanks for reporting!

Thank you for your prompt response. Now the geometry is importing but it is really low res and also the textures. I waited for everything to be completely loaded.

rdc here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GUZK1EAWJMF29bzmHV5YhtmgK7na2gq5?usp=sharing