Graswald - News and Work in Progress

I’d love to do trees once my ressources are a little bigger. I’m talking drones… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to everybody for the comments and you’ll be pleased to hear, that we already have a lot of this prepared which will be shown over the course of the next weeks!

Never really a job where I need so detailed grass, but there is some thing that often becomes really hard to solve when dealing with nature scenes. Trees are easy and by time I collected so many wonderful models, that I really never need a new one, except when animating them, but then I use low poly trees, as you don’t focus on details in animation (trees are not my heroes).
Anyway, the hardest job is fill the gab between roads and trees. And that is not only a bunch of grass leaves and small trees, but a whole ecosystem that is really hard to make believable.
Vegetation change so much during the seasons, that you really can have fight getting control over all the models. Then there are try and wet areas and like we all know the leave color need to be almost identical in all plans to look real. Difficult if you have plants from different source. I normally just take BW colors and color it based on the scene.
That said, I guess you a good thing would be to team up with some scatter system add-on. In the past I was often very impressed what iCube did with Multiscatter and its libraries of not ordinary and non architectural trees. Check them out.

1 Like

We’re actually already teaming up with Scatter, who are developing on a scatter solution for blender :wink:

When I’m creating models for a species, I try to add as many species variants as possible, meaning there will be large healthy plants for natural meadows, small walked on ones for roads and old and dead ones to support them or for winter scenes. I hope that helps!

1 Like

They already teamed up with a guy that wrote the scatter add on. He said on his thread that graswald will be fully integrated in scatter and the next release date is end of feb

indeed we currently finished the code with the help of @KareemAlgalaly :slight_smile:
From Scatter ends there will be a button in a new “import/export” panel, from Graswald ends there will be a slider to choose the scattering method. So basically all cool Graswald Assets and features will be able to be used with all the scattering presets and features of Scatter, as this new operator will convert one system to another.

the Scatter update will be available the 28th, but i have no idea when the GW update will be available

4 Likes

We’d publish everything with our large scale support update, which will be the next release after our website launch, end of february sounds good if we can make it!

2 Likes

Hey guys, we’re currently thinking about using Patreon to finance better equipment for better scans, more support (YouTube videos) and maybe even pay further artists/coders to help bring our vision of high quality 3D plant models to life. Would you be interested in paying a small monthly aid for access to the latest beta features, raw scans and early access to finished blend files (or whatever you can think of)? Or is this something you feel is unnecessary?

I’d love to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

You should also consider making Graswald available for other applications, not just the assets, or if then more prepared files. Just an idea.

1 Like

Hmm…to be perfectly honest, I got mixed feelings about this.
On one side I want you guys to have the very best equipment and options - so you can offer us as many of your stunning assets as possible.
On the other side it feels a bit weird to support a ‘product’ on Patreon, which you bought for a full price.

But then, in the end no one is forced to support you on Patreon. That’s up to everybody to decide.
Maybe people who use Graswald a lot are gladly willing to pay something additional every month.

Would be interested to hear what others think…I’m still thinking… :wink:

2 Likes

We’re currently working together with Asset Ninja, to get at least a little closer to this vision. It will import assets with materials set up automatically for all major 3D software packages.

@JollyJumper I agree, that’s why I asked. Not sure about this either…

Keep in mind to support vrscene format. That way you support all platforms incl. shading automatically. Even Blender.

1 Like

Hi @Yukon a bit off-topic thing. Could you please help me resolve this issue? I am getting an error when I try to delete the graswald system from a mesh plane. And somehow this whole issue stops the file from rendering when I push F12. I have attached screenshot. Thx

1 Like

Hmm, maybe @KareemAlgalaly can take a look at this?

1 Like

It is a good idea Julius, I would support Graswald via Patreon for sure.
Good development should be honored if possible.

1 Like

I have the same error message.
I can’t remove Graswald’s Systems and I do not know why I have empty lines… They used to be there before.
Gaswald version 1.2 with Blender 2.82 (official, Linux x64).

Hey Julius,

I’d keep the Patreon or Kickstarter or the like free for existing clients, but somehow modifying the payment system for future clients.
Clients should keep the level of freedom/liberty which they had when purchasing. Some add-on producers even offere future updates free to those clients they got at the begining. Pricing systems can always be adjusted for future clients though.

Anyway, some of your current clients might opt to support you via Patreon or the like even at their own free will.

Keep up the good work, you have a great product!!

1 Like

We fixed that issue, not sure if it’s included in the latest version already… We’ll hopefully be able to launch our new website in a few days and then we’ll release the fixed version!

Btw, here’s a sneak peak of our latest assets. Optimized for archviz, they now also come in clumps:

5 Likes

I’m glad to know it is fixed ! Thx

1 Like

Could you pm me the blend? I should be able to verify that its fixed and/or manually fix it.

After about 4 months in the making, I’m very proud to finally present to you our new website, graswald3d.com!

To celebrate this, everything will be 15% off for one week!

It has been a huge learning experience for me creating this website (I never did anything like that before), but I’m happy how it turned out. With this big improvement in infrastructure, I’m looking forward to building 3d models again!

I’d love to hear what you think, please check it out ! If you find any bugs or so, feel free to tell me!

1 Like