Graswald - News and Work in Progress

A few nodes:

1. You went up with the price, and the discount only works on gumroad, not blender market. There it is $99.
  2. I would recommend you to show you library of assets as a list on your website, or pdf to download. Its a bit irritating have to wait till you seen all.
  3. There are no animation in the gallery.
  4. What I miss is animated grass. I know you can do that with a deformer quite easily. But never the less, it would be cool to get that real setup in the preset.

Hey there, thanks for your reply. Yeah, as the discount is because of our new website, it only works on our new website. Do you mean a list of images or just the names? Because we have that included in the buy page under what comes with it.
We’re currently working with the great environment artist and Carl Roe on an animation for our website, but good to see you’re missing one, you’ll like what Carl is doing! He’s amazing: https://www.artstation.com/ceroe

We have been thinking about easier ways to implement the animation of grass in Graswald and came up with a few ideas, although we’re currently pretty busy with the new Large Scale Release, we’ll definitely add it, soon!

Sounds good. It’s just, ever since I heard about Graswald, I was wondering what the difference are to other assets. For example Scatter, it has libraries of plants too, and most artist may also have various 3d plants of past projects.
For ArchVis you mostly will need grass only. The Graswald looks more like a game engine asset or for people working on personal projects, on the level of insects and detail shots.
I known Graswald is more about control and variations, but I just bring that up to give you feedback on my initial thoughts.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused…
So now you offer two products Standard & Pro?
As an old Graswald customer do I need to buy some extras or what? Have old stuff been updated or is there another product you sell or did you just made yourselves a fancy new page and raised the price while we continue to wait? // Oh… we need to wait a bit more :slight_smile:
Also, a mail of notice would be great instead of checking here to see what is going on. :wink:

Users who bought the old Graswald are using what is becoming Graswald Pro. You can continue to get updates as you have been, it’s simply being renamed and expanded.

The Standard version has a bit of simplified ui, a couple fewer assets, and a few reduced features (no builtin physics, etc).

1 Like

Oh… we need to wait a bit more :slight_smile:
Also, a mail of notice would be great instead of checking here to see what is going on.

Part of the work I did during the last months was improving the general infrastructure to be able to deal with support etc. in a better way. When I started Graswald, I never believed it could get that big, so I didn’t bother. But staying in contact with customers, support and bug fixing, marketing etc. takes much more time once the product is successful than one thinks. That’s why, as sad as it is, I couldn’t work on new assets as much as I wanted to. But with that off the list, I’ll be starting next week, developing new scanning techniques which hopefully will end up in a new asset collection at the end of june/july! What nobody talks about is, that these things cost time and money, and you need the latter to get the former. But I hope that with the new website, we I can get some more freedom to finally do what I love the most - creating 3d models for you guys!

ever since I heard about Graswald, I was wondering what the difference are to other assets. For example Scatter, it has libraries of plants too, and most artist may also have various 3d plants of past projects.

I agree 100%. This is something we’re also struggling with. When we started Graswald, there was nothing comparable on the market, we mainly wanted to sell 3d models with a little more scattering support then what was already there. Because we did not want to add new models without raising the quality/ improving our workflow it now looks like a collection of plants with some scattering settings. In the future, we want to concentrate on assets and not so much on scattering, but with all the settings being there in Graswald already, we don’t want to remove them either… If anyone has a smart idea, we’re listening :wink:

1 Like

About that: I’m testing workflows for optimizing models for games. Looking pretty good so far, I just need to speed up the workflow. This took me about one hour to convert from vfx to games…

Btw. if any Game Artist is reading this, feel free to PM me to test it :wink:

2 Likes

I think there are different usages:

1. The ArchViz people. While they do very clean renderings in there job, they do the opposite in their personal projects. This leads to wonderful images, in low light with wild grass and junks in front of a house. I love this stuff, but I know that its absolute the opposite of what clients want. That why I don’t do that stuff.
  2. The casual artist who focus on doing good looking pictures and get inspired by the gallery showing on your website. He will love your assets, but he will most like use it just for one or two projects. Maybe its to expensive for him, maybe not.
  3. The studio doing all kind of different jobs. They need to have assets ready for projects. Time is money describes best what 3d artist do. They need to be quick and ready prepared. 3dsmax is here the tool that has so many assets, that people just have to choose the render they use and go straight forward. I know people who can screw fantastic stuff together in just a single day. But they are not doing animation.
    4, The animation studio/freelancer. There things need to happen on a different scale. Your client may build a house or a car, but that’s not the biggest task. The most challenging part is to get it to a convincing real environment. And here assets are very important, as clients never understand with the environment is making more work, then the hero of an animation. Here scattering systems are very helpful, but scale ability is too. So, you might think you only need to do a small yard, and then the director change it to fly above the city.
    #So if you focus on assets that can be adapted to different challenges you might be on the road to success.
1 Like

Then it might be interesting for archviz/ environemntal artists to go one step further when cooperating with @BD3D’s Scatter and providing some biome presets with different species growing next to each other that can be scattered in one click in addition to the possibility to convert single Graswald systems (if I’m informed correctly this is the current plan)

we are working on this currently :slight_smile:
in scatter, the assets are totally secondary and people are welcome to add their multi-layer scattering presets to the library + by no way it’s the same level detail compared to graswald assets.

3 Likes

Working on some biomes, what do you think, which biomes would you definitely want to see? These are some lawn presets I created:

8 Likes

Lawn, or short grass is very useful, but you need rule based system. So for example, under a tree there is less grass. Beside bushes and stones it’s often higher. Also flowers often occur ein patches, so some areas have more, some less.

Scatter integration will help with that, with the scattering presets.

stunning !

1 Like

@RobertLe Exactly, as @BD3D mentioned. With the scatter integration, you’ll have these kinds of clumpy behavior.

Plus, I’m currently creating clump models for each species variant after creating low-poly models for each species variant as well. With the new Large Scale Update, you will be able to choose if you want to use clumps or individual models, as well as choosing between to levels of detail.

I suggest that the low-poly models will always get low material quality as default, the higher-res models will get medium quality as clumps and high-quality material as individual models. Does that sound good?

3 Likes

Well, I think Scatter itself would benefit much from Graswald connection, as well as Graswald is literally needing Scatter to make it look nice without hand-made changes to distribution.

Have you considered making a discount for users of the other addon?
Like you already have Scatter, you get a discount for Graswald.
You have Graswald, you get a discount for Scatter.

A synergy that should be benefitial bor both @Yukon and @BD3D :relieved:

1 Like

Hi, is it just for me but latest version crashing a lot (on stable and on experimental). Every session. I can’t see pattern - sometimes when pressing render, sometimes when creating new species. Last time after crash I reopened project and Graswald was disabled. I worked on the scene and everything was fine. Then I enabled add-on and crashed on creating new species.
Luckily I do not have any project right now just playing around.

Not just you. I reported a very similar crash three weeks ago that happens on every render only while the add-on is active.

Issue was acknowledged but so far I haven’t seen progress other than a promise that it will be looked at last Monday. Haven’t heard back since.

We’re working on this issue, having difficulties recreating the problem, but we’ve got some changes that could potentially fix it.

I received a potential fix from @KareemAlgalaly and so far the crashes haven’t reoccurred.

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance but can I use graswald with the octane addon? I know I could buy the asset pack and tweak materials but I own the addon (pro) And would like to be able to render in octane when I chose. Is this possible and if so could you please direct me to advice or some more information regarding a solution. Thanks