Graswald - News and Work in Progress

Wow this looks awesome. I will publish a short intro video and a tutorial for the camera culling feature once I officially release it. I already uploaded it simply because it always takes so long and I had some free time and thought I’d let the community know.

I’m so happy to see Graswald being used for things like that, this looks amazing :smiley: Which species did you use for this?

2 Likes

I saw this ’ Large Scale features’ on twitter but I still dont know what it is. I did however update graswald pro and played around with it and scatter … its great, no doubt.

Thank you Julius!
This is a 100x100m terrain. I just used a lot of Generic Grass Blades (with the LOD’s is easy to handle) in combination with some Creeping Bentgrass and Orchad Grass flowers. I could have work it more but it was just a stress test and finally make some quick color grading in Photoshop.

Can’t wait for the official release!

1 Like

Congratulations on new release! And thank you for this awesome addon.
Here I did quick test and these new features are really cool. (900 meters to horizon, used density maps for background grass, and separate denser grass in foreground. Ram (or Vram - not shure, I’m using GPU) usage on loading 6GB on rendering 2.5 gb. LOD Rendering- low, mesh resolution 0.3)
And I have couple questions :slight_smile:

1. Default size of plants is way too big (0.35-0.4 looks ok). Hight of cylinders in picture 2m. Is it depends on scene units setup (mine Units Scale-1, Length- meters)?
  2. LOD’s - are there any plans to make mesh resolution dependent on distance? Camera culling - when increased distance it also grows to sides (in big scenes this hurts :slight_smile: ).
2 Likes

How did you fix it?
I think a ran into this issue with the latest 1.3 release on Blender 2.83.

Every time I hit F12 Blender crashes.

That fix is included in the current 1.3

You can check the species of plants (some are naturally pretty large), but they should be to scale (at least with scene scale = 1, and all graswald scales set to 1), and the ones I checked are fine. If a particular species seems too long though, do let us know.

We will keep this in mind. There is no easy way to do this with blender’s current particle system, but we are exploring workarounds.

1 Like

Graswald integration with scatter add on is the bomdiggidy!

2 Likes

Graswald and Graswald Pro 1.3 are now officially released, and I wanted to take the time to quickly layout all the new features that we added.

Graswald Pro 1.3.0

Large Scale Features

LOD System:

• All species variants have High, Low, and Proxy LODs. High and Low are good for rendering.
  • Low variants have improved memory performance in cycles/Eevee and significant speedups in Eevee.
  • All variants have Clump and Single Styles. (Density is preserved across styles)
  • Clump Styles are more memory efficient, often render faster, and have a somewhat more natural look (w/o children) than Single Styles.
  • There are Global Settings for which LODs should be displayed in Final Render, Viewport Render, or Workbench Viewport, but settings can have local overrides.

We added a total of 645 new models to Graswald Pro (including Clump models, low-res models, and proxy models). This increases the number of individual models that ship with Graswald Pro to 1,259.

Camera Culling Feature

• Single-Click enables camera culling on all graswald systems
  • Refresh button updates culling areas
  • Animation mode reduces performance, but supports camera animations
  • Settings in Optimization Panel:
    • Voxel Size: Resolution of culling boundary, smaller is finer but may be slower
    • Padding: Increases size of region w/ plants (for fixing odd edges)
    • Maximum Distance: How far from the camera should the plants still be shown

Systems can now be assigned viewport colors (synchronize w/ all systems sharing a material)

Other Changes

• Vertex Groups can now have influence inverted (not currently compatible with camera culling)
  • Changing non-flower variants preserves density
  • Density consistency improvements
8 Likes

With the large scale update finally behind us, Julius and I are once again looking to the future, planning the next big update–Environments. The goal of Graswald has always been to simplify working with high quality plant models, and this update is no different. This update will introduce another layer of abstraction to make working with our assets even easier, and help get your scenes started faster.

In short, an Environment is group of systems on a single emitter that can interact with each other. (Eg: Meadow, Lawn). By adding an environment, you can instantly set up a field, a lawn, or any other… well… environment. Environments can also expose abstract properties–like season–or properties that are useful to share between systems–like density or vertex groups–etc.

With this basic idea of what an environment could be, we are looking for your input as to what you all would like to see in the environment update.

• Feature requests: what features would be really useful if you could group systems together?
  • Workflow improvements?
  • Specific environment requests?
3 Likes

That sounds great!
Perhaps a nice workflow with as u say presets for environments. Quick lawns already optimised or quick grassfielda qith random flowers, also optimesed and ready to just render!

2 Likes

I also have both the latest version of Scatter and Graswald Pro installed, and I don’t see ‘Scatter’ as a scattering option.

I also think that the plants are too big by default and I’m wondering if this is something in the Blender config. I.e. generic grass blades are ~ 50cm tall with scale 1 for me.

And yes, environments will be a great feature. I don’t know which plants go together at what scale and density, but I do know I’d like a spring lawn, or an autumn meadow, etc. Scatters ‘one click biomes’ are almost ideal (Graswald has better models though).

I tried to scan through the whole thread but, can someone fill me in on if Graswald is able to be easily converted to Octane render material?

Cheers
Chris

Currently you can do this manually: after you’ve loaded the materials into the scene you can just edit them to use Octane nodes.

1 Like

If you PM me a console screenshot, etc, we can try to debug this issue

Hi Kareem & Julius,
little question - I had a project which got extremely big and complex. It started to create some performance issues. So I had to append all the collections into a new blend file. Which sorted out those problems.
BUT - after appending all the collections and objects Graswald doesn’t work properly any more. All the particle systems are still there, including the wind animations. But they do not show in the Graswald menu. Actually nothing can be chosen in the Graswald menu. All the submenus are empty. There is clearly something wrong.
I also tried to append a Graswald emitter object alone. Same result.

Is this a known issue? Can’t Graswald objects be appended?
Or is there a workaround?
Btw, I’m working with Blender 2.83 (RC1) on MacOs Catalina. (64GB RAM)

This is what the Graswald menu looks like after appending…there seem to be invisible ghosts of the systems. But nothing shows.

To import something in Graswald, you have to import the scene. Then you can in the right-click menu choose Graswald->copy to scene-> which will then essentially move the selected objects from the imported scene to another scene if that’s what you wanted.

Hi Kareem,

it would be awesome if there would be as well a number of typical garden plants (Roses, Tulips and similar in the add-on.) Close to buildings in ArchViz you find that very often and it adds to realism & the beauty of the scene.
Seasonal changes surely help too. Botaniq does offer that nicely for their trees. Even with snow.

4 Likes

I always get this issue, even without appending or anything, the settings just disappears. why is that?? Its rly disturbing :confused:

1 Like

Hi. Is it possible to override the material to a white diffuse. I am sure it is, but somehow the material slot seems to be only responding to the grass material.