Graswald - News and Work in Progress

Holy shiza! Pretty good. If I may ask, how are you getting the isolated chunks of moss? Is that due to weight painting of the rock surface? Or creating an underlay mesh to the rock for the particle moss, and then breaking it up?

cause it looks great. No, correct,… that it looks real.

This is becoming very impressive! :slight_smile:

Add more realism to your moss by using the dead moss particle system:

About the distribution: I use a combination of the fuzz map that comes with the rock, weight painting and procedural textures for distribution and length :wink: The breakdown is more or less on the render as well!

Such a nice things going there :slight_smile:

Just some of the icons giving you an overview of what definitely is included and who it might look in your scene:

This is not complete yet, some things are still missing.

1 Like

you’re doing a great work here
Your models are really appealing and natural looking

could I ask you how those plants perform in terms of machine work and render time?
Will you plan to deliver a free version to let user test performances and try before buy?

This is looking awesome! Do you have a planned release date yet?

A free version so that users can test it seems pretty ineffective if I want to make some money… About performance: Meshes are fairly detailed, but it is possibly to lower the detail via the graswald interface using decimate modifiers. The assets also come with different material qualities (texture size, amount of nodes) so you can pick something for your machine and purpose :wink:

ty for quick reply
as far as free version I was thinking more along a very reduced version (1 or 2 plants/options)
Again great job!

Hello Julius / Yucon,

these plants are really looking great. Please don’t forget to include the stinging nettles, some rambling weeds will make natural scenes more realistic.

Cheers,

Peter

Yukon: I agree with blurredpixels. It certainly is your work, time, and intended income. But looking at the blender market asset packs, skies, lighting, plants, nature, mountain construction, you need to notice the number of sales.

With the large, everything plus the kitchen sink packages, there are few sales. Only with the exception of Andrew’s nature stuff, which is a level potentially below yours. Yours is a more refined, detailed and expanded version of his. But Andrews pricing is out of reach for most blender users. For small/large studios no drama though, For blendeheads with deep pockets, no drama as well.

Further most users very rarely have a project that would entail a need for ALL the plant, moss, grass items that you provide in the tool box. But almost everyone will reach out and buy something because the “need it at the moment” I’ve done that, again, with skies, base meshes, hands, noses, etc.
And yet, those purchases HAVE NOT dissuaded me from desiring and planning to purchase the larger more complete toolboxes at a later date. Rather the opposite, its senstized me to the value of having a broader range of skies, trees, landscapes, body parts at my disposal.

And I keep referencing trees for a reason. I puchased XFROG sometime back and rarely used it to generate or create trees. However, I do use their premade trees as well trees which came with Worldbuilder. Mreover, I finally caved and purchased XFROG only after I’d bought 1-2 of their pine trees for a project. Which led me to buy one of their package deals with about 30 trees, firs, deciduous, etc.

so that’s my two cents, I would offer smaller packages of 5-6 plant types, plus a larger, mid range bundle of a mix of plant species, and finally the mac daddy tool box.
I believe you’ll generate sales quicker, and then you get a side benefit, “word of mouth” advertising. People will begin to use your stuff in their works, which will get posted so they can show off their mad skills with your assets…

again, just my two cents…

I like the idea of a reduced version and might even think about releasing one species with just one variant for free, so that people can try them out!

Yeah, that would be a good idea. a single sample, of good quality but not the premier stuff. I used the free grass in my scene, to test particle plants. And I became a believer in using particle generated plants since.

But it me back to wanting to purchase your higher end stuff. Cause, the immense amount of time that you’d taken to create it, was time I don’t have. Weeks and months of modeling, texturing, and testing in various lighting.

So, a free sample is worthwhile. It also is a stamp of confidence in your artistry

Another competitor. Like minds. Chocfur - They have Good stuff but “not quite at your level.” Nor range of variety. However I would look at how they’re marketing their plant/grass particle bundles. As well as their pricing scheme.

http://store.chocofur.com/grass-pack-01/blender_model/

Thanks, definitely quite interesting, I’m gonna take a closer look at it :wink:

About the texture size for the different material qualities: Do you think 2k-4k (High), 512px (Medium) and 16px (Low) is appropriate?

i don;t know on that one. Its looks versus VRAM in a scene. You;re looking at high res for close up nature Pics, And low res for widely populated fields. And background pllants.

Also there is a rendering cost for complex geometry. Then there is variety of color and look. You certainly have the look down for your plants. What size texture images are you using? Allso for varied color are you using independent image maps or working off of a single larger texture map? That definitiely leans towards a 2-4K.

I think It would be best to test varying sizes. Try a 4K, 2K, 1K and 500 for closeup happiness. Then test a 16 pixel, a 32, and a 64 pisel low res for a field… Also time the renders.

“Allso for varied color are you using independent image maps or working off of a single larger texture map?”

What do you mean by that?

iI mean is each variation of a grass stem being textured by its own image texture? Or is the entire particle “bunch of grass” colored by one larger image texture?

Meaning that you have like 5-6 grass texture images of different colors on a single large image texture map?

there is one standard texture and an old texture for the age effect. The rest of he color variation is done procedually :wink: