GroupPro, group instances made easy

Thank youuu, it works :star_struck:

So its time for another issue. I am using your plugin for building vegetation assets for open world game.

The case is, that I have a group, which have inside one more layer of groups. When I take this “master” group and scale it non-uniformly, then dissolve it…all the meshes which are part of those “sub-layers” skew/deform during the dissolve…is there a way around this…or possible improvement of the feature? Basically I need groups to hold correct scale transformation during the dissolve.

I must dissolve all those groups, so all specific meshes are named with correct suffixes (LOD0, LOD1,…) in the FBX after export, so the game engine loads all mesh into the correct LODs (Level of Detail layers). And I can’t rename all those mesh instances which are inside groups (or I dunno how).

group_scale

So there are two possible solutions for my problem:

1. to be able to add suffix to all instanced meshes inside groups (dunno how)
  2. hold correct scale transformation during the dissolve

What do you think?

Thank you!

@skywalger - the object mesh in blender do not support skewing matrices (I think because it is non revertible operation). I would try to avoid scaling group - if objects inside are rotated. This way you avoid skewing. Or - you can rotate objects, but only 90 degress. Also you can rotate group member any angle, around z-axis if you then scale group only in Z-axis.

About naming - lod meshes - have you tried BatchOps ? I is good addon for managing many objects - it has also option for mass renaming of objects inside groups, selected objects etc.
Let me know if this works.

1 Like

Hello, JoseConseco,
I have purchased Group Pro version, 2.0.16. What do I need to do to upgrade to the latest version, which is 2.0.19?

Thanks

Download from the same place you bought the addon.

Thanks, that did it!

There is also build in updater in preferences. Go to - GPro addon preferences -> check for update. Download and restart blender.

I found what is probably a bug. When changing the group’s origin, the bounding box moves with the origin.

For groups use this option only:

1 Like

Thanks that did it!

hello i recently bought group pro
my workflow is more on shortcut oriented im not fan of pie and clicking menus
so id like to ask is there a way to make group pro behavior like this

when i double click a group it will enter EDIT GROUP
when i double click outside or no selected group it will close the group

1 Like

To make double click open. Go to preferences → hotkeys and navigate to :

Then create new hotkey like this:

For close group (object.close_grouppro) it if you click outside group, it cant be done right now without changing the addon code.
You could make similar hotkey to open . eg. ctrl + double click → close.
Different way of opeing/closing seems user specific, so I would rather leave this for user to setup them-self.

3 Likes

thank you it works
i assigned alt + double clicking for closing
i hope in future you add the additional code

Hi, In the end I solved the problem. Not in the source file, but in the exported FBX. It is a way how to keep the source file clean and organized for further changes. Every time I export the FBX, I import the FBX into empty scene in Blender and run a series of steps (script) which get me rid of all empties without breaking the transformations and adds correct suffixes to appropriate objects with help of “Simple Renaming Panel Master” addon.

To get the FBX into Blender, run the script and export it back is ± 10s operation.

Hi JoseConseco.

As a result of downloading and installing the latest GroupPro_2.0.15, the add-on could not be started with the following error.
The same result was obtained when Blender 2.80 was loaded with the default settings.
Can you fix this error in the future?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:~\blender-2.80-windows32\2.80\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 384, in enable
mod.register()
File “C:~\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\GroupPro_init_.py”, line 88, in register
auto_load.register()
File “C:~\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\GroupPro\auto_load.py”, line 28, in register
bpy.utils.register_class(cls)
ValueError: validating class:: ‘USE_EVAL_DATA’ not found in (‘REGISTER’, ‘UNDO’, ‘UNDO_GROUPED’, ‘BLOCKING’, ‘MACRO’, ‘GRAB_CURSOR’, ‘GRAB_CURSOR_X’, ‘GRAB_CURSOR_Y’, ‘PRESET’, ‘INTERNAL’)

Please get the latest GroupPro_2.0.19 version and try again

Result of upgrading to GroupPro_2.0.19, the add-on was successfully installed.
Thank you for the quick fix :slight_smile:

Hi Jose,

I have a question. Sometimes the bounding box gets way bigger then the content. What could be causing this?

1 Like

One thing that I usually encounter is that an object in the group has a mirror modifier that uses another object that is outside of the group as the mirror object.

Ok, I checked for the mirror modifier thing but I don’t think I have a mirror modifier here. Could someone check this file for why the bounding box is so huge?

big bounding box.blend (912.9 KB)

Very often i have the same issue. I dont know why the bbox is so big…