How do you approach organic hardsuface models?

Hey guys Quick question how do you approach organic hardsuface models? Things like smooth curved bikes and planes or other automotive design anything that don’t have hard edges but are still considered hard surface?

examples shapes:

(please don’t limit your answer to the image above but rather the approach/techniques to model smooth curved hardsurface things like this

1 Like

I have used sub-d modelling for organic hard surface modelling in the past to great effect.

I used just such a technique on my Flight of the Navigator and Vorlon ships (see below).

In essence, you build a very low poly mesh in the rough shape you want - then apply sub division surface to smooth it out. The subdivision modifier has an option so you can see both the low poly mesh and the subdivided result together when in edit mode. As you move, extrude or add additional low poly geometry, your high poly smooth mesh will update in real time.

hi is mostly about a blockout first, creating those organic shapes and stuff, and then blend it with hard surface objects on top of them, and then beginning to add non destructive booleans for extra detail and stuff to see how it look like first and then apply them into the mesh, and fix topology for subdivision, and apply 1 or 2 levels of subdiv to add secondary details if you like in the model, then add other subdiv for the render and so on…

i highly recomend you this addon, if you want to follow such workflow, without getting pain in the modelling/concepting process Black Mesh - Procedural Modeling Tool

1 Like