Human Progress

Shapekeys were never designed originally to work with multires, it’s not been added yet to blender, they only work on the base cage

@L0Lock thx :slight_smile:

@fried_lemons Multires seems to be cooperating with shape keys nonetheless (just did a quick test to double-check):

Unless you mean having separate Multires per shape key, which would open up a number of useful possibilities…

8 Likes

Is there a time limit on getting a free code for the full body+face rig? I have the body rig, but I’m not sure if I can buy the face rig right now.

1 Like

No plans for a time limit, but if I find I need to impose one for any reason I’ll send out an email.

Okay, thanks!

That’s odd as I’m testing it on the latest build right now and I see no result, what version are you using?

Just bought the Rig and I must say Amazing!

One thing I can’t really figure out so maybe someone can help me with this.
If i change the proportions off the rig, is it possible to bake that in somehow.
So I can still use the Alt+R G S while animating.

Thanks in advanced

Well, you can always apply the current pose as the rest pose.
Though depending on how the rig is built, it might break some stuff so you should try on a copy and test before doing anything definitive.

Just triple checked in 2.92. I may be on the wrong page though, so here’s a vid:

During the course of testing this time, I was initially getting spikes and scrambled mesh repeatedly just by switching from Sculpt to Object mode, but then that went away at some point. Then it came back a bit, and went away again… so that bug remains elusive.

@BlendNewb Unless you want the proportions to animate, you can just set the proportion controls how you want without keyframing them, and disable the armature layer containing those controls (layer 4). Then you can select all and reset the rest of the controls without affecting the proportions (assuming that’s what you want to do).

L0Lock’s suggestion will set the modified rig as the new “reset” position, but will also set the mesh back to its default state, so I’m not sure whether that’s what you’re after.

2 Likes

Thanks! Got a bit confused cause I overlooked that some of the proportion controls are on other layers as wel. Was probably just over thinking it. Locking the specific channels works wel enough!

Indeed I forgot about that! To avoid it, you need to first apply the Armature Transform modifiers on all meshes, then apply the rest pose, then add Armature Transform modifiers again (usually, selecting the meshes then the armature last and doing Ctrl Pset parent to armature deform with empty groups will do the trick).

But, that’s a “bulldozer solution”: it “works” everywhere but will most likely require to sweep the floor afterwards. And afterall that’s why animators love rigs that provide their own solutions for stuff like that.

Ah, thanks for the video! The spikes were the result of a bug that’s fixed now in a rework of the multires modifer. I suspect these changes are being maintained because there are shapes linked to drivers, so it’s forcing that on the mesh, I’ll need to investigate this further and maybe report to the developer. Thanks again! As always, you continue to inspire us, Chris!

1 Like

I recently also stumbled over the spikes and scrambled mesh. I could track it down to using the undo function while in sculpt mode (and I think it was also relevant if it was a relative of absolute blend shape, but didn’t fully evaluate that). When undoing it still looks all good. You continue working, but then when leaving sculpt mode, it messes things up due to the undo step you did. However I think this was 2.83, not 2.9x, so this info might be outdated already :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t have much experience in Blender, I’m trying to link the model to a scene, but I can’t find the collections, and I don’t know what relationship I have to do with the proxy, I still don’t understand the hierarchies very well.

That could well be the culprit, as I remember thinking it was being caused by the undo at one point. Will have to look out for that next time!

I’m a bit of a noob myself when it comes to linking and proxies (and even Collections, since I’m in 2.79 most of the time), so I wouldn’t be the best authority on that topic sorry. It sounds like a more general question though so maybe someone in the know can chime in…?

Great work - Is this just on gumroad or Blender market too?

Thanks, it’s just on Gumroad.

1 Like

Hi Chris

This is a really awesome rig, thanks for your work.
I only have a few questions, I hope you will help me figure it out and I apologize in advance for the English via Google Translate, if something is not clear, I will try to rephrase

1. I can’t make angry eyebrows
    https://youtu.be/UhaeoTDiL7w
  2. Am I somehow using the head controller correctly so that no such clicks appear in the neck?
    https://youtu.be/5wrqKb98vpM
  3. (be careful in this video: very loud and noisy)
    https://youtu.be/wQmuNIOwxwA
    Thanks to your rig, I decided to closely study the behavior of the muscles of the face, which ones follow what (the eyebrows are the first to get angry or the mouth), on the basis of which to make a decision when the character to blink just like that, from which emotion is generally formed
    Can you recommend sources where you can find this information?

Nice, I’ll bear that in mind. I’m currently retopologising a couple of head scans of myself and my bandmate and it might be ideal to splice those onto your body/face, is that something that could be possible? Also, o[ptentiall off topic, but do you know of any resources on the pipeline of creating a decent 3D digital double, with all the various maps etc from a hi res scan and the diffuse color?

Hi Ozhogi,

1. The mesh is actually forming a frown when you move the Brow controls inward (there’s a reference chart here by the way, in case you missed it). It’s just that it’s virtually indiscernible without any eyebrows or textures (it’s a bit more legible if you activate wireframe overlay). Wrinkle maps are the main missing element though, and I’ve been making some inroads with that over the past couple of days…

2. Generally you should only rotate the head control - in certain instances you can move it to get some curvature into the neck, but it’s usually best avoided.

3. Haha - thanks for the volume warning, there are others sleeping nearby. :grin: I am yet to find a good resource on the mechanics of facial muscles (although these look interesting), however a good deal can be learned from studying yourself in the mirror and watching videos frame-by-frame.

@Tedri_Mark That could be possible, but the workflow is only theoretical at this point as I haven’t had the time to test it myself, nor do I know of anyone else that’s tried…

I’m not sure I can point at any digi double resources either I’m afraid, but maybe something can be gleaned from this.

1 Like