Human Progress

Agreed! Need tutorial of your workflow! Of course not for free, Chris!

1 Like

but of course for free is more appreciated :grin:!!

Only he falls in such categories Mark Knopfler once described in
“money for nothing and the chicks for free” hrhr… :stuck_out_tongue:
(I fear neither Chris doesn’t fall in this category nor do we …)

(what a song…)

2 Likes

That’s just for the body……

1 Like

I’ll refer to a couple of earlier posts:

With some digging you can find some pointers this thread though (e.g. skin nodes in the original post and here).

3 Likes

The high frequency procedural bump affects the skin reflectivity at a distance, but you can start to see how it contributes to the texture at this range.

17 Likes

There are little black specks at the roots of the hairs which go away if I turn off shadows. Anyone know how to disable hair shadows without disabling them for the object as well? Light Path node doesn’t seem to work.

22 Likes

maybe report that idk, or maybe its a known issue with hair particles i guess you are using cycles…btw is this hair just simple children and manually added particles or with vertex groups and a fixed amount and scattered randomly? and also how much thickness settings you used for the hair shape?

1 Like

Wonderful!!! Do you intend on releasing this skin texture when you’re completed?

I use the ol trick of using intersection in the hair node with a color ramp to fade them transparent when they get close to the root. It’s not realistic, but it mostly eliminates harsh shadows.

@MichaelBenDavid Guides with children scattered randomly and with vertex groups. Root 0.003, Tip 0.0003, Scaling 0.01.

@X3x Thanks - not necessarily this exact skin texture, but hopefully something like it. I’m still debating the ins and outs of that.

@xalener I do actually have a color ramp transparency fade on them, but that doesn’t get rid of it either, even if the whole hair is transparent. On closer inspection it’s happening where the hair intersects the skin (which it shouldn’t be doing for starters) further up the hair, not at the actual root. I need to redo the hairs anyway, so I might come back to this.

4 Likes

I appreciate your reply. I know people have suggested you do video tutorials but I think you’ve made very nice Step by step docs in the past for all the rigs and models youve released. Maybe if you had the time (or the interest lol) you could do something like that, and it would be better for you anyways considering the hardware or microphone availability i think i saw you mention in this thread.

Hello, Chris! This may be not related to your work, but I wanted to ask you, where do you find sound effects for your pieces? The sfx is perfect on your videos. Thanks!

@X3x That’s a possibility yes. I have the hardware, it’s just I’m camera/microphone shy (and it’s not where my interest lies).

@Gaya Around the house (I record them myself). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey Chris, any cool updates for us this week? :smiley:

1 Like

not yet i think :joy:

Nothing to look at, but I’ve been busy refining the skin material and eyeballs, redoing the vellus, redoing the eyebrows and eyelashes half a dozen times, and finally eliminating that dark edge on the caruncle - which would have taken hours instead of days if mirror/symmetry actually worked (anyone know if it’s any more reliable in 2.9x?).

So you’ll have to use your imagination for the time being. :wink:

4 Likes

The symmetry option only works for adjusting position unfortunately, the mirror modifier would be needed for anything regarding adding/removing geo.

As for the symmetry of hair particles, I’m using it right now it’s fairly okay’ish. But it’s a huge pain

Hi Chris,
Please excuse the intrusion, hope it’s not too off-topic - I have a few questions.

1. So after you won the “Best Animation” at the Los Angeles International Short Film Festival for “the Passenger” - (well deserved - congrats!) what professional opportunities/prospects presented themselves to you? What impact did it have on what you are doing today? Did you end up at Pixar or something?

2. You did Passenger in Lightwave, but I presume you are fully in Blender now? What additional software are you using now and what are you creating (in addition to this amazing human project)?

3. Was the purpose of the film eventually revealed?

4. Why don’t you just post the full-res on YouTube or other now? I can’t imagine you are still able to sell it, may as well show it off in full HD glory, right?

You wrote this very insightful paragraph on your blog:
" When I set out, my goal was simply to improve my job prospects. I had enough material for that within the first couple of years. After that it was a matter of following through and finishing off what I’d started. It became an exercise in extreme patience and endurance, in which I pushed all my gear (and some might say my sanity) to near breaking point. I remain hopeful that one day the film’s true purpose will be revealed, but whatever eventuates, the simple fact is that I just needed to get this thing out of my system. I had already seen the film before I even started - I just wanted to show everyone else what it looked like."

6 Likes

If the standard mirror function included topology changes, that would certainly save some strife (mirror modifier is a no-go since it destroys the weights, shape keys and everything). Worse though is that I usually can’t get weights to mirror properly (if at all), so after untangling and realigning the mess of new asymmetrical vertices, I have to manually copy across the values for each vertex group on each vertex, one vertex at a time… :dizzy_face:

@FletcHR

1. Thanks, I did get some job offers, nothing I was especially interested in though. I ended up meandering about for a bit trying to get my own projects off the ground (including this one), while freelancing in-between.

2. Yep, I’ve gone full Blender. I also use Krita, and that’s it for the visual side of things. The human occupies all my time at the moment, although I do have a music project that’s been waiting in the wings for decades and is starting to itch…

3. Not so far, other than that I should avoid doing something like that again (alas, lesson not learnt!)

4. They are actually still selling, although less frequently now that it’s become more difficult to post them anywhere outside Australia. Even if I were able to upload it without upsetting recent buyers, the question remains: what to do with the boxes and boxes of DVDs? :thinking:

2 Likes