Human Progress

Ok here we go.

54 Likes

This was so, so incredible.

Insane! Will this be available anytime soon?

3 Likes

Come on man! I’m literally crying right now watching this! You are making a grown man literally cry @ChrisJones . And for that, I say a very big thank you! I’ve not been this inspired for a long time!
I have so many questions that I cannot really articulate. So I’m just gonna stick around in this thread and see what new info you release about your process to generate these amazing textures. sheeeshh!!!

7 Likes

Amazing video. Everything looks fantastic!!

I was right! :wink:

What are you going to work on next?

1 Like

@Sakugasensei Ta!

The face textures were originally meant to coincide with the video, but I’m still uncovering release blockers (like Blender 3.1 crashing when appending the skin material), so it’s going to be a little while longer. :expressionless:

@Astronet Haha - thanks!

@yolao After the impending release is out the door I’ll probably tackle hair.

9 Likes

Jaw dropping! Great work Chris.

1 Like

Apart from the ear side view it’s a 10/10 for me.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah I saw that yesterday but haven’t got around to dissecting the file yet.

2 Likes

This one looks great

9 Likes

btw is this a noise texture with distortion for the shader? and what about the other mask (the brown one for example)

1 Like

Maybe he used musgrave texture for main mask(s) and then pluged the output into wave texture to get the waves inside. But you cant output vector from a musgrave texture, so he probably used noise texture

1 Like

ouch :neutral_face: that’s sad

Magic Texture to separate the skin tones, another Magic Texture for the marbling effect, and Voronoi to break up the edges.

I can get it into 3.1 by loading the skin first and then the model, so not too sad. :slight_smile: There’s nothing I can do about this though… :frowning:

5 Likes

I’ve got my hair as a separate piece of geo with 4x subd since I’m not gonna preview with em on anyway.

It still doesn’t behave properly with wrinkles, but at least the gross deformation is pretty solid.

1 Like

That reminds me of another issue in which increasing the subdivisions above 4 throws up a “target contains invalid polygons” error when I try to use Surface Deform to bind the eyelashes geometry (and that’s with a triangulate modifier already added, which would normally circumvent that sort of thing).

I believe I’ve finally reached that point where the software is pushing back harder than I can push forward, although it’s taken a lot longer to get to this point than it did last time around.

[Edit] As in, it’s taken longer to start hitting impenetrable obstacles (not longer to get the job done - that’s been faster). :wink:

5 Likes

I really hope your journey opens some damn eyes finally. Blender studio is finally working on a “realism” focused short after like 20 years and it looks like they’re still kinda just banging rocks together. Maybe you should intervene for the sake of all of us, hehehe

5 Likes

Just edited my post, as I think it might have come across as a jab at Blender instead of the opposite (despite the obstacles).

4 Likes

oh, i’m still jabbin blender

4 Likes