Human Progress

Ok sounds good.

Okay thanks!

ohh i thought i was supposed to use the face texture on the body since I couldn’t find body textures anywhere. So for now the skins shader for the body cant really be used unless we make body textures ourselves?

Yes you’d need to make a body texture, or wait until I’ve made one (which is likely to happen later rather than sooner).

Ok will do. Do you have a roadmap anywhere where we can keep up with what is coming in the short term? Super exciting to see this project grow. Thanks for everything!

Hello, I was wondering if someone knows how to rig an eye like this? The video is time lapse in 720p and its Sonic. Its different to any other eye rig that I’ve seen and it’s really helpful.

Seems like he’s just using Rigify with a couple of extra bones for the pupil/iris.

The iris is a separate model and he used boolean to make the indent thing and somehow he’s able to move the iris mesh with the boolean modifier around the eye that’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Anyone know what softwares Chris uses for texturing? I am guessing Blender texture painting and Krita? or does he texture the heads in Krita using flattened uvs?

I dont know but I would like to know as well. I’m trying to find a workflow for realistic faces and I want to know what chris’s workflow is. I do believe he use krita for texturing though I dont know

Right, just saw it again and there seems to be some booleans, but looks more like a workaround or an after thought… You’d be better off actually modeling the eye in a more traditional way and avoid the use of booleans before the armature modifier because they are really expensive to calculate and can lead to errors easily.

1 Like

Yes, textures are hand painted in Krita

This is from the first post on the thread

4 Likes

Thanks for the info.

So that means he paints the textures on flattened uvs then in Krita. I have noticed that there is are advantages painting in a 2d software will always have over 3d painting and that is the selection tools and you can move, rotate and scale parts of an image with ease, among other advantages so there are a good number of artists who still prefer painting textures especially for organic assets using 2d painting software compared to 3d.

Also another advantage is 2d software uses less memory and gpu so that is another thing making performance less problematic. Recently textured something using Krita and it was faster to a degree since I could use selection tools and copy and paste parts of an image to another part saving time.

I am sure Chris has his reasons why he prefers Krita for texturing. I don’t think the software is what makes his work look so realistic. His skills are outstanding that Krita is sufficient to create the high quality work he puts out. I do think he uses Blender painting to fix seam issues for the characters. I may be wrong though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No definitive roadmap as such, other than eyeball textures > teeth textures > hair >
…something something… > complete human (assuming I don’t lose interest in the interim).

You are right. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks for the confirmation. :slightly_smiling_face:

Any chance you can pls share how you fix the seams in Blender after painting in Krita because Blender doesn’t support multi channel painting with the clone brush tool?

I am guessing you paint all the maps in Krita, export to Blender and use clone tool to fix seam areas? So you fix each map one by one in Blender? How do make sure the details are the same in each map when fixing seam areas since the clone brush tool doesn’t support multi channel painting? :slightly_smiling_face:

hihi Chris !
If I have one HEAD bone from mocap and I want to translate coordinates from it to UH rig neck , which way are the best for it?

How attach hair to the rig? If I parent it to the head bone it doesnt stay with the head since the head bone moves away from the head when rotating it?

What hair are you talking about? Is it a mesh or particles? you gotta parent it to the head deform bone not the control or mch (mechanism) bone from the head

They’re curves. How do I know which is the head deform bone?

also i noticed my bone doesnt follow the head while the bone for the default rig always follows it correctly. Is there someway to fix this?

Correct. Since there’s no exact correlation between the different maps along the seams, it doesn’t matter if they’re not each cloned from the same places.

@cortek I don’t have mocap experience, but assuming you only have head data I suppose you would apply that to the head and two neck bones at 1/3 of the strength, or apply it to a new neck bone and have the head and neck bones copy its rotation at 1/3 influence each?

@psaebrail Try parenting it to “Head Bone” in Armature Layer 9. If your curves are parented to a separate bone from the rig, parent that bone to the Head Bone.

2 Likes

How hard is it to make the textures? I’m a beginner. :c

not a matter of difficulty so much as it is familiarity. How good are you at drawing/ painting? That’s pretty much the exact same skill set.